PDA

View Full Version : KFX450R smoking

Groundworx
06-09-2009, 08:43 PM
I have a 08 KFX450R. When I am just putting around the yard, cruising, its fine. If I get into it, it puffs some white smoke, then really starts blowing it when I get closer to the rev limiter. Is there something else this could be besides needing a rebiuld?

Maxx_Action
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Head gasket...

or cracked cylinder wall. Usually white smoke indicates water is somehow getting from the water jacket into the cylinder.

Let it idle and smell the exhaust, if it looks like a little steam is mixed in, and it has a kind of a sweet smell to it, there is antifreeze getting into the cylinder. Not cool....

Eric

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 05:43 AM
I wondered about the head gasket. It is a little rough for an 08 model, but a top end should have lasted longer than that. It is all stock and doesn't appear to have been raced. At idle, it does smoke at all. I have to get into it before it smokes any. Haven't tried smelling the exhaust. I will try that and see.

meadey#1
06-10-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree defo head gasket,

do not run hard as you may hydrolic it and bend the valves:grr: :grr: :grr:

Drewltr450
06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
pull the head off check the gasket its its bad replace that if its good pull the cylinder out and check your rings out.

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I will have the local shop do it. Right now I don't have the extra time to mess with it. It is a repo quad and I got it cheap so if I have to put some money into it, I should be ok. Or, I may just sell it for what I have in it and let it go at that.