PDA

View Full Version : rough starting

XCRacer236
06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
the last couple times i have rode my YFZ it has been doin something really weird. when its cold it will start right up, and run fine for a while. but then out of nowhere at random times it will just die. then it wont start for a few minutes. it will just crank and crank. so ill let it sit for a minute, and eventually it will start again. but then when i give it gas, not a lot, it will bog down and die again. and the process will start over. eventually after about 5 mins it will start again and run just fine. sometimes it wont start for just a minute sometimes it wont start for 5-10 minutes. this past sunday when i rode it, for about 20 minutes out of nowhere it was backfiring really bad. then it died, AGAIN. and the whole process started over. so when i got it home, it fired right up and i washed it. then after i was done washing, it wouldn't start for about 15 mins. thats happened the last two times i have washed it.

im completely at a loss as to why its doin this. if ANYONE has any input they can give that would be really great. if you have any other questions, or are confused, ill try and make it clearer. i know this whole thing is confusing enough. THANKS for any input you guys can give.

BakerRacing40
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
you might check out you throttle position sensor and wiring. see if your switch is working in the throttle housing also. ??

XCRacer236
06-09-2009, 10:11 PM
if that were the case wouldn't it bog down all the time, not just at random freakin times? not discouraging the idea, just curious.

BakerRacing40
06-10-2009, 01:15 AM
if there was a short or if the sensor is starting to go bad or a bad/loose connector. the problem could only occur at times. check all your connectors and try to look at all your wiring to see if something has started to rub

XCRacer236
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
good point. dad was told it was valve lash. thanks for the tip though!