PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about a Rekluse?

300ex_#387
06-09-2009, 07:19 PM
I would like opinions of people who have tried them. Is it worth the different to get the Pro instead of the regular? Will I even notice anything different when i'm still using the clutch? I really want to try one but I don't want it to effect anything as far as me slipping the clutch when I need to. Do clutch plates wear out faster?

eastside 400
06-09-2009, 07:42 PM
i havent gotten a chance to try one, i also posted a topic about this a couple months back and really didnt get much responce, from what i read the Pro is the only one worth getting. The regular one does not allow for clutch over-ride unless you also buy the perch. The Pro is 100% over-ride so you can use the clutch whenever you want. the plates will wear faster then normal most likely because the clutch will slip more then you riding with a normal clutch because that is what its meant to do,

Im pretty sure you ride MX, i race too and i was thinking that this would be a great thing to have, ive heard rumors that RC used it in his last outdoors season but thats just rumors.

300ex_#387
06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i havent gotten a chance to try one, i also posted a topic about this a couple months back and really didnt get much responce, from what i read the Pro is the only one worth getting. The regular one does not allow for clutch over-ride unless you also buy the perch. The Pro is 100% over-ride so you can use the clutch whenever you want. the plates will wear faster then normal most likely because the clutch will slip more then you riding with a normal clutch because that is what its meant to do,

Im pretty sure you ride MX, i race too and i was thinking that this would be a great thing to have, ive heard rumors that RC used it in his last outdoors season but thats just rumors.

Thanks for clearing some things up for me. I think i'm pretty much sold on getting one really. It could benefit any racer in so many ways. Yeah I race MX too and being able to brake into corners without touching the clutch seems like that could take away a lot of rider fatigue and increase corner speed. I'm just curious if it takes anything away at all as far as using the clutch like I would right now.

Dave400ex
06-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Without a doubt the BEST thing I have ever purchased/put on any of my quads. I absolutely love the Z-Start Pro. The plates do wear faster and you have to keep an eye on the installed gap which is very easy. Other than that with the full override it is awesome. Wouldn't ride without now in the woods.

300ex_#387
06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Without a doubt the BEST thing I have ever purchased/put on any of my quads. I absolutely love the Z-Start Pro. The plates do wear faster and you have to keep an eye on the installed gap which is very easy. Other than that with the full override it is awesome. Wouldn't ride without now in the woods.

I was really hoping you would have a reply for me. I knew you ran one and would give me good advice. The only other thing is holeshots. I read an article that said "Engagement in the pits or from a dead stop is not as smooth as using a
traditional clutch lever system but once you get going you cannot feel the
difference between the two" Would this effect my starts on a holeshot or am I not even going to tell a difference?

Dave400ex
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Honestly I've never really tried a MX style start. I think you would be fine though. For dead engine it's hard to beat. Also if you get this I would get a clutch basket as well.

Mine, dead engine start... Rekluse equipped 08 kicker beating 2 YFZ's...

300ex_#387
06-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Honestly I've never really tried a MX style start. I think you would be fine though. For dead engine it's hard to beat. Also if you get this I would get a clutch basket as well.

What kind of basket would you reccomend? A billet one?

As far as installation is it hard? If it is going to be something to hard I will just let my dealer deal with it but if it is as simple as they say it is I will do it myself.

snacob14
06-10-2009, 03:19 PM

aer you starting it in gear or in neutral? Mine won't start in gear very well, its an 06 though

Sjorge450R
06-10-2009, 03:48 PM
in gear the rekluse just doesnt wanna let your quad start. Then again its already a bicht to start in gear with traditional clutch. I ran a rekluse for about 3 months in my R. I got it from LonestarR in exchange for my elka shocks from my 300. I took it out because I didnt like the slip that it provided. Granted it was the zstart (no pro at the time) and I had the clutch override part, i just never liked it too much. Hell. I dont use the clutch as it is now...lol

Now I have debated whether or not to put it back in and try it again, but I just rather stick with a good ole clutch

Dave400ex
06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 300ex_#387
What kind of basket would you reccomend? A billet one?

As far as installation is it hard? If it is going to be something to hard I will just let my dealer deal with it but if it is as simple as they say it is I will do it myself.

Rekluse makes a basket and that is what I have ran the past 2 seasons with no issues.

You should be able to do it yourself. They come with real good instructions. The only part that is a pain is drilling out the big rivets that hold the gear on the stock basket.

Dave400ex
06-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by snacob14
aer you starting it in gear or in neutral? Mine won't start in gear very well, its an 06 though

I always start in first gear. Starting in neutral would eliminate the point of having a Rekluse for the start IMO. Mine will start first kick all the time in neutral. Even if it dies in gear during a race one kick with the hotstart and I'm off. Sjorge I'm not sure why you had issues but the Pro starts awesome in gear without the clutch pulled in. But I never had trouble starting it in gear with the stock clutch either...

deathman53
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I have a rekluse in my crf450r hybrid. It makes it much easier to ride. I have mine on mid rpm engagement and hard engagement. I had it on soft engagement, it didn't seam to accelerate quite right and would slip alot. It will wear your clutch faster IF, you start in a high gear and are in too high of gear for extended periods of time. What sucks about it, is it can't be pull started.

06-11-2009, 12:04 AM
best part would be use of a rear brake lever. Quad magazine did a build with one a while back and they loved it and being able to have the hand rear brake lever. My rear foot brake usually just locks up and in some situations like leaning into a turn you cant hit it to slide.

mysticfalcon
06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Well I just ordered my Z-start Pro yesterday. I really look forward to getting it. That pic really helped convince me. I love how it shows your power going to the ground and the 2 YFZs spinning up grass. That and the new trail they just opened up here that is tight and twisty with big log and rock crossings about every 5' for about 5 miles. Its a lot of fun but its murder on the clutch hand.

TCSMotorsports
06-16-2009, 08:02 AM
You will really like it! I put the Pro with the left hand rear brake and absolutly love it, it allows you to drive into corners much harder and faster than you would with the conventional rear brake. What the left hand rear brake gives you is the ability to feather and finesse the rear brakes much better than you can with your foot. As for logs and obstacles of that nature, the Z-start Pro is the absolute way to go.

mysticfalcon
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
how much is that front brake lever? That might be a good idea. I might even be able to convince my GF to give up the 4x4 for a sport quad with that. she hates the brake on the foot and she cant brake and throttle with her right hand without moving her hand a lot so she hates the 450.

TCSMotorsports
06-17-2009, 08:43 PM
its on there website at www.rekluse.com

snacob14
06-17-2009, 09:27 PM
how can you tell when its time to replace fibers? Mine is dying when I slam on the rear brakes. i haven't gotten into it yet, but I"m thinking the fibers must be worn and its not releasing the clutch fast eneough> anyone else having trouble with this?

deathman53
06-18-2009, 10:08 AM
check the installed gap and if you can move the lifter just slightly and if there is play between all the discs. I'm thinking you overheated it, due to worn metals or like I did and forgot to locktite the bolts and they backed off, causing slipping and warping of the metals. Also it could be your idle is too high.

mysticfalcon
06-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Well I put my first ride on yesterday with the new Rekluse. All I can say is wow. It sure makes things easier and faster in the tight stuff. I might wind up going with that front brake lever but Im still up in the air on that now. Got to get a little more used to things now or Ill wind up slamming on the brake every time I go to shift.

mc_racer
06-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by snacob14
how can you tell when its time to replace fibers? Mine is dying when I slam on the rear brakes. i haven't gotten into it yet, but I"m thinking the fibers must be worn and its not releasing the clutch fast eneough> anyone else having trouble with this?
I used up my fibers at Holt Summit. You could tell it was slipping. At low-mid RPMs it wasn't completely engaged. I still had drive, but not as much as normal. At mid-upper it acting normal. Do you have the tools to check the clearance on the plates?
I would look at the basket for grooving, if the problem is in the clutch not disengaging, it's usually the fiber plates getting hung up in the basket. Do you know what brand basket is in it and when it was put in?
As far as starting in gear, mine will if the trans fluid is warm, if it's cold, it doesn't want to. I usually start the race in second with the clutch in to be safe. As soon as it starts, drop the clutch and go.