PDA

View Full Version : Building up a YFZ on a budget. Suggestions?

Groundworx
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
A little background: About a year ago, I got set up to buy repo'd quads from some banks. I have had about 150 quads come through here since. I have kept myself 3 Honda 400EXs & 450Rs. Everytime I would decide to mod one, I would pick up more of the quads that already had mods (fat bars, pipes, wheels & tires, nerfs, bumpers) Basically I wouldn't have to buy anything. I would only have one done for about 2 weeks before someone would come in to look at a quad, see mine, and had to have it.

My last load I got, I came up with 3 YFZs that are super clean. 1 05 and 2 07s. Well, one of the 07s is the SE (flat black with red flames) I decided to hold onto the SE for a while (until someone has to have it and wants to pay for it). It is all stock. I have to buy some rear tires, grab bar, battery. I paid $3400 for the quad and I had to buy a steering stem. So I am at $3500 right now. I would like to keep it under $4k, not counting the tires and battery, nerfs, grab bar. Basically, how far can I go for $500?

Air filters: I am considering going with a K&N or GYTR. Does the K&N powerlid do anything better than a K&N or GYTR with the lid removed. There is about a $30-$50 difference in pice. Anyone have suggestions?

Pipe: I seen a GYTR slip on with the GYTR jet kit on ebay for $300 new. There are some cheaper ones without the jet kits (HMF, DG, and some other off brands) Is the GYTR better than the other cheaper ones?

Or, if you have any suggestions of a better way to go, post em up. I have attached a pic.

yamahahaha
06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
dont bother getting a k&n box lid, i would get the k&n filter over the gytr, and hmf would be one of the most inexpensive pipes and one of the best in my opinion... but real loud. if u got a quieter hmf pipe it would be costlier. i have a fmf factory 4.1 on my 07 yfz with a k&n filter w/o the box lid and what a difference from stock!!

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't see how the box lid would make better power over a K&N with lid removed. I don't have a lot of experience with the YFZ though.

The pipe is something I am really wanting some input on. I have looked at the HMF. I knew it was a cheaper pipe and louder. Looking more for power gains rather than sound.

I just contacted my banker that handles the repos and asked about a YFZ450R. He said he has a blue one, but doesn't know the price yet. I may pick it up if it is around $4500-$5000 and in good shape.

BakerRacing40
06-10-2009, 09:43 PM
guess ta mating on what i paid for this stuff

*get a No Toil air filter 25
*No Toil cleaning kit 15
*yz needle for carb (motorcycle) 10 i think?
*throw away you air box lid
*do the cam mod
*medium compression piston 175-200?
*gaskets to put piston in
*pull the baffle out of the exhaust or get a slip on muffler, hmf i like if your in an area that noise isn't big issue 250 or so?
*jet it

should be pretty good. good bang for your buck, anyways..you'll probably be just a hair over your set budget on this set up but check out the classifieds on here, always nice stuff going cheap.

and if any body want to see some cool air filter videos watch the no toil vids on you tube.

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I have seen the NoToil videos. I picked up a DVD at a shop a couple of years ago on them.

What is the stuff you are talking about??

*yz needle for carb (motorcycle)
*do the cam mod

The baffle is out of the muffler right now. It wasn't in it when I got it. It isn't really loud, but pulling the baffle out doesn't make the power of a slip on does it?

BakerRacing40
06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
slip on would make the power, but if you wanted to keep it cheap the baffle out helps it so much from stock trim..

the needle for the yz 450, motorcycle same engine just some stuff different. the needle has a different style of point and has the grooves so you can change the clip position on the needle as needed for jetting. i know the 04/05s improved with this mod. i don't know if they changed the internals on the carbs when they bumped the displacement.

the cam mod is changing the just changing the timing by moving the actual exhaust cam. if your using the stock yfz cams the change is one tooth and if you buy the yz exhaust cam its like moving your stock cam half of a tooth. the yz cam is supposed to be better but i know doing the mod with stock cams is awesome. you'll like it a lot.

a lot of times i go to yamaha-motor.com and go to parts and service and look at part numbers to see what i'm going to need and everything has an expanded pic so you can identify whats what, and the do a search on google of the part number and see what it's going to cost me.

hope this helps man, anything else post it on up..

BakerRacing40
06-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Groundworx
I don't see how the box lid would make better power over a K&N with lid removed. I don't have a lot of experience with the YFZ though.

The pipe is something I am really wanting some input on. I have looked at the HMF. I knew it was a cheaper pipe and louder. Looking more for power gains rather than sound.

I just contacted my banker that handles the repos and asked about a YFZ450R. He said he has a blue one, but doesn't know the price yet. I may pick it up if it is around $4500-$5000 and in good shape.

check the market, unless your wanting to keep it for a bit. there's a few nice nice modded ones that are sellin for 7 to 8k and have a chunk of change already sunk into them. just don't hang yourself for a loss.. but at that price i don't think you could go wrong?

Groundworx
06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info on the cam mod. I am going to check into that more.

For me to give that for it, it will have to be in mint cond. We have about 300 quads sitting at the warehouse right now. There are plenty of KTMs and 08 LTRs and what not that are under that. I think I can get the 09 for closer to $4k. I won't keep it long. Like I said in the first post, everytime I tell a buyer about my quad, that suddenly becomes the one they want. He didn't have a price on it though. If nothing else, he can run me one up. He said last week there was 9000 units on his repo list, ready for purchase. That was everything, cars, tractors, street bikes, boats, ect. I think he said there was about 600 quads and dirt bikes. I will just have to see how much it comes to.