PDA

View Full Version : Front End Question

IcutMetl
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
So now that I have my motor sorted out good enough for now, I'm going to work on suspension next.

I'm pretty sure I have springs from a pogo-stick on my front shocks; they're awful. In slow trails; not so bad, but crossing logs, rough terrain, jumps, and fast hard turns...beats the hell outta me.

I'll probably buy a nicer used aftermarket rear shock setup for my weight along with an axle, and either one of those complete i-shock 5500 packages for the front, or whatever I get a good deal on.

My question is this; how wide is too wide for the woods? I already have aftermarket rims which helped alot, but I wouldn't mind going a little wider yet so I could rail thru corners better. I hardly ever go to a track, and all I ever get aggressive on is the tabletops. Mainly woods, trails, fields....XC type stuff is my rodeo. I know it's a compromise, but I dont' wanna get stuck between EVERY pair of trees.

This may be a dumb question, but what does the +1" forward do to my handling? It seems nice and quick now; I like that.

deathman53
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
for woods, the widest that most go is +1 or +2 with 4/1 rims. 47" at the widest. The +1 forward slows the turning and makes it more hi-speed stable. I did some woods riding with a +3 +1 w/ 4/1's and it wasn't fun at all. I knew some guys with +2's and 3/2's, they got stuck between trees and ended up dinging rims badly. As for the "pogo stick" suspension, you need to slow the rebound alot, depending on the shock, you may have to mess with the compression.

IcutMetl
06-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info. I can't imagine going any more than +2 on the width. The suspension right now is completely stock, and completely worn out- it doesn't soak up anything right now.

05LSR250R
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I run a Laegers +2 on my front end! I ride trails also! Never had a problem! If something looks like its gonna be real tight I either look for an alternate line or stuff it in there! Theres usually a line around the tight spots! I also like to run Saturday night MX every so often by the house! Helps there to have a little extra width! Just my 2 cents!

1promodfan
06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
I run a Laegers +2 on my front end! I ride trails also! Never had a problem! If something looks like its gonna be real tight I either look for an alternate line or stuff it in there! Theres usually a line around the tight spots! I also like to run Saturday night MX every so often by the house! Helps there to have a little extra width! Just my 2 cents!

^^^^^^^^what he said X2. I also have Laegers +2....+1 forward and I don't have any problems. There is a few spots where I ride than can get really tight, but I still have room to get through. The +1 forward give a little more stability....(if I'm mistaken)

IcutMetl
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I appreciate your guys' input. I'm amazed at how well this wheeler handles when compared to my 400ex years ago, even with nasty suspension. I can only imagine what it'll be like with something better.

rustyATV
06-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I have +1 wider arms with 4-1 wheels, and like them, puts me at 46in wide and cuts down a bit on the bump steer.

I stayed at 46in for hare scramble racing, but if you're not going to do that, or your series runs a generously wide course, +2's with 4-1 wheels will put you at 47in wide and will be fine.

Realize, though, that wider quads like to slide more than cut, so your slow speed agility will suffer a little.

Originally posted by IcutMetl
This may be a dumb question, but what does the +1" forward do to my handling? It seems nice and quick now; I like that.

I think the +1 forward was for the '86-'87 250R's. The engines in those years were mounted farther forward than the '88-'89, and the wheelbases were slightly shorter, so they liked to swap ends in turns.