PDA

View Full Version : Fox Float R shox

Tommy Warren
06-09-2009, 02:08 PM
anybody tried these fox float R air shocks? I read that they are way better then the stock 450R shocks and they shave off 6 lbs. I do a lot of trail riding....would they be beneficial for trail use? dirt wheels says they are about 700 bucks so they sound like a good deal to me. discuss.

hendershot106
06-11-2009, 01:34 PM
i would save your money and buy the evols.... they are infinitely adjustable.... and still 4.5 pounds lighter....

rollie
06-11-2009, 01:58 PM
If you dont race i wouldnt suggest the floats, you have to check the pressure in them before you ride and when i had mine i kept breaking the $6 a peice gold caps and $12 a peice shrader valves off, if you don't mind the added maintence though, the ride is awesome, i loved riding mine but hated the extra work, i sold mine and got PB1's and they feel very similar but with way less maintence

If i were you i would send all 3 of your stock shocks out and have them revalved/springed with the triple rate springs and such, for about half the price of float evols.

hendershot106
06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by rollie
If you dont race i wouldnt suggest the floats, you have to check the pressure in them before you ride and when i had mine i kept breaking the $6 a peice gold caps and $12 a peice shrader valves off, if you don't mind the added maintence though, the ride is awesome, i loved riding mine but hated the extra work, i sold mine and got PB1's and they feel very similar but with way less maintence

If i were you i would send all 3 of your stock shocks out and have them revalved/springed with the triple rate springs and such, for about half the price of float evols.

i dont have that problem... been on fox's for 18 months...

but i couldnt agree more with the revalving of stock shocks for budget riders/racers!!!!

Especially the GT THUNDER revalves.

Butter
06-11-2009, 04:00 PM
rollie- Felt the exact same way. On off weeks of racing we go out and pit ride, and sometimes with weather its on short notice. The bike would be ready, but you have to adjust the shocks right before you ride to get the best performance, and I couple times I just couldn't get to it, and they were garbage. Loved them when riding, and when they were right, but crap if you didn't redo the pressures before each ride. Traded them for Axis on here over the winter (my bro ran Axis for 11 years now, and we know them inside and out) Wouldn't be so bad if you didnt have to have the front end off the ground to adjust them correctly.

Again, Fox is an amazing shock, but I think for strictly racers only. I am one myself, but not every single weekend like alot of guys are. I'll race a month straight, then take a weekend of pit/pleasure riding, then go back on the track. Another thing for me was not knowing how to rebuild the Floats. Having to send them away for a rebuild kinda sucks, when I'm used to putting oil and nitrogen in myself on Axis.

TAZ450r
06-12-2009, 07:19 AM
anybody tried these fox float R air shocks? I read that they are way better then the stock 450R shocks and they shave off 6 lbs. I do a lot of trail riding....would they be beneficial for trail use? dirt wheels says they are about 700 bucks so they sound like a good deal to me. discuss.

i wondering the same thing. i thinking either the float's or the non adjustable elkas... witch of them are the best?

(don't tell me to rebuild cause that not an option, because i can't find anyone her that can rebuild them, im from europe)

im just doing freestyle so don't think i need a fully adjustable shock either.