PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about a arms & shocks

BEAVER.989
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
What effect does going with wider a arms have on shocks? Am I right in thinking that it'll make them softer?

Bettering my suspension is my next task since I've gotten all of the little add ons out of the way. Why do suspension components have to be so darn expensive? :(

timmy400exfast
06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
depends what you are gonna use them for if your a trail rider just go with +1 but if your going to race id go with a +2 or+3 and throw in some elka,works,or fox shox in the front

631kfx400
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
houser motowoz

BEAVER.989
06-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Also, when would you want to go with a-arms that moved the wheels forward? I'm guessing this is a motocross thing...

powermadd400ex
06-09-2009, 02:18 PM
a arms will make the shocks much softer. it basically bottoms out all the time on stock shocks with +2s.
i love my elka/HdryoDynamics +2 set up.
personally, i would buy shocks before arms. most shocks will lower ride height so you will be a tad wider.

Flynbryan19
06-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by 631kfx400
houser motowoz

Wow, your comment shows how little attention you paid to the post..... Read the post before you blabber out stuff.

Beaver, wider arms will make your shocks softer. I would recommend saving up the money and buying the arms and shock work all at once. That way you only have to do it one time. I have been down this road and just got the shocks done first. Two years later I have now bought aftermarket arms and have just had to have the shocks revalved/resprung to match the new arms. If I had done it all at once I could have saved a couple hundred bucks.

BEAVER.989
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Wow, your comment shows how little attention you paid to the post..... Read the post before you blabber out stuff.

Beaver, wider arms will make your shocks softer. I would recommend saving up the money and buying the arms and shock work all at once. That way you only have to do it one time. I have been down this road and just got the shocks done first. Two years later I have now bought aftermarket arms and have just had to have the shocks revalved/resprung to match the new arms. If I had done it all at once I could have saved a couple hundred bucks.

Thats the info I'm looking for.

Part of me was hoping to get lucky by scoring a set of 450R shocks, which I've heard are kinda stiff. My thought was that I could run them on the softer setting until I picked up a set of a-arms and then stiffen them out after I installed the a arms.

timmy400exfast
06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Flynbryan19 what kinda a-arms and shocks are you running

Flynbryan19
06-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Thats the info I'm looking for.

Part of me was hoping to get lucky by scoring a set of 450R shocks, which I've heard are kinda stiff. My thought was that I could run them on the softer setting until I picked up a set of a-arms and then stiffen them out after I installed the a arms.

You might be able to, but its really going to be a roll of the dice. My spring setup on my shocks went from a 200lbs spring to a 225lbs spring after my new a-arms. Pretty big difference. Again, I would simply save the money and get it all done at once. Even if you buy 450r shocks your still going to want to have them revalved/resprung for your weight, riding style, and a-arm setup. Theres alot more that goes into setting up the shocks then simply how much longer the arms are.

Flynbryan19 what kinda a-arms and shocks are you running

Timmy, I'm running Elka shocks reworked by GT Thunder with Burgard a-arms. I've been VERY pleased.

timmy400exfast
06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
sweet so are you running long travel then

Flynbryan19
06-10-2009, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by timmy400exfast
sweet so are you running long travel then

No, no money for long travel. lol

I'm running standard travel with +1" arms. Makes the ride more stable and handles MUCH better having the ability to adjust Camber.

timmy400exfast
06-10-2009, 07:58 AM
your have those ones a Z right

Flynbryan19
06-10-2009, 08:20 AM
yes.

timmy400exfast
06-10-2009, 08:23 AM
sounds like a good set up

F-16Guy
06-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I have +2 arms and stock, unmodified 450R shocks, and I think they feel pretty good. I'm sure they could be better with a revalve/respring, but they are 100% rideable as-is. If you're looking for a good, cheap, upgradeable setup, buy some decent quality +2 ST arms and a pair of used 450R shocks. When you get some more money saved up, just send the shocks in for a rebuild. BTW, I'm about 210 lbs with gear and would consider myself an intermediate+ rider. I took a 2nd and 3rd in WORCS Production B in 2006 on my setup if that gives you any idea of how good it works without a rebuild.

Pappy
06-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I have +2 arms and stock, unmodified 450R shocks, and I think they feel pretty good. I'm sure they could be better with a revalve/respring, but they are 100% rideable as-is. If you're looking for a good, cheap, upgradeable setup, buy some decent quality +2 ST arms and a pair of used 450R shocks. When you get some more money saved up, just send the shocks in for a rebuild. BTW, I'm about 210 lbs with gear and would consider myself an intermediate+ rider. I took a 2nd and 3rd in WORCS Production B in 2006 on my setup if that gives you any idea of how good it works without a rebuild.

x2