PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Pipe review

Maxx_Action
06-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey all...

I was out of ATV'ing for a couple of years when my kids kind of lost interest. But, they rcently started riding again and so we all just got geared up. I bought a new 08 KFX 450 from a patient of mine who is a kawi/ honda dealer. I gotta say, I LIKE IT!!

My last ATV was an 06 yfz and the KFX put t to shame as far as stock suspension, and ease of riding.

Last week, I added a fuel customs intake and air box, Dyna Tek FI controller, and the topic of this thread, the Phoenix performance full exhaust system. I got it on sale off of Ebay for $271.00 plus 15 for shipping. I am impressed, especially for the price!

It is constructed well, with three steps from the head to the canister. This pipe has a little longer section out of the head than some which is probably driving the peak HP down by a couple percent, but the pipe works great in the woods and on short set up jumps and stuff like that cause the power is right there. It doesn't wait to peak like the CT pipe I had on my yfz. The welding is top notch, and it fit like a glove. All in all a great purchase.

As far as performance, I drag raced the fastest quad around here on sunday. It's a trx 450R with cam, Full sparks pipe, CDI box, and of course needle and jets. He beat me by about 1 bike, but that was on the very top end. All the way through the gears we were just about dead even with him pulling on me just slightly. He would pull away at the top of fifth.

So if any of you were curious, it seems to fit well, run well, and you can't beat the price.

Eric

jcmoore82
06-09-2009, 10:30 AM
I have to agree with you. I have the Slip on for my 400ex, and for the price i couldn't be more happy with it. i love the sound and power it gave me. i got a Dg rcm2 slip on for my kfx and i now wish i would have just got a phoenix for it. the Dg is no good at all, first time i fired it up some of the packing blew out the tip.

Maxx_Action
06-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by jcmoore82
Dg is no good at all, first time i fired it up some of the packing blew out the tip.

That is not something that will instill confidence huh? :huh

jcmoore82
06-09-2009, 11:33 AM
no not at all. i pushed the packing back in and it kept blowing it out again and again, finally the other day i put some blue gasket sealer around the tip. Its not blowing it out anymore. But i still wish i would have gone with the phoneix for my kfx.

MtnEX
06-11-2009, 09:54 PM
I for one appreciate the review... because there are not a lot of us out there... and there are very few product reviews.

I will certainly keep this exhaust in mind for if I ever decide to go aftermarket with mine. It sounds like it is more of a low-end pipe from the way you describe it.

I'm a woods rider, so low end and mid-range are where it is at for me.

ta2d
07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
I also appreciate this review. I was up in the air for a new pipe and short on time and money to get it before my next race. I believe you just helped me make up my mind, thanks.