PDA

View Full Version : What's causing this noise!

twoares
06-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Here's what I got, accelerating thru the gears it sounds like a clanging/ metallic pining at wot about 3/4 before the end of the powerband. This happens intermittently and seems to do it sometimes when the engine is warm. When the engine is warmed up and I put it in neutral it has a slight sound like the gears are running loose or chattering.

This has been doing this for a while before I replaced the parts listed below and when it makes the noise it is not losing power or anything like that.

To rule things out this is what I have
89R with stock cylinder LRD pipe and silencer
38PWK
180lbs compression
rebuilt counterbalancer
new billet basket, hub, shift shaft and clutch plates
fresh gear oil
fresh 94oct gas and maxima 32:1

Any ideas? Crank bearings? Worn gears?

1promodfan
06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Sounds to me like you need to stop riding and tear that motor down. I believe if I heard noise like that on mine, I would stop right then and see whats going on. Just my 2cents....

rustyATV
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
If you didn't split the cases when you replaced the clutch and rebuilt the counterbalancer, the first thing I'd do is pull the clutch cover off and make sure the clutch nut is torqued. Actually, everything under the clutch cover. That'll only cost you a clutch cover gasket.

twoares
06-08-2009, 09:09 PM
The noise was there before I replaced the clutch and rebuilt the balancer so I don't think that's it.

rustyATV
06-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Well if it's not that, the only other easy check is the Flywheel, and the stator bolts underneath it (I had my stator bolts back out once). If that's not it, then you need to split the cases and investigate.........or roll the dice and wait for something to break.

atvmxr
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by twoares
. When the engine is warmed up and I put it in neutral it has a slight sound like the gears are running loose or chattering.

welcome to the TRX250r rattle club! Im guessing you've had your R less than a year? I've heard this question repeatedly for the last 15 years or so... the trans gears rattle a little bit in neutral and make this noise... hard to say for sure over the internet though. I can hear the difference between the "R rattle" and piston slap, but cant even begin to describe how they sound different.....:ermm:

should be totally unrelated to the miss at 3/4 throttle, that is probably detonation from lean main jet or air leak..

twoares
06-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I bought this one in 94' and I also have an 86 and a 85 ATC and I know what you mean about the "R-rattle". The sound is completely different.

Honda 250r 001
06-09-2009, 07:09 AM
the idling noise is normal, they all do that for some reason.

But the wide open noise i believe is a blown gasket, exhaust, base, or head gasket. Do a leak down test to be sure where its leaking.

atvmxr
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by twoares
I bought this one in 94' and I also have an 86 and a 85 ATC and I know what you mean about the "R-rattle". The sound is completely different.

hmmm, well guess its time to pull the side covers off and start looking around