PDA

View Full Version : Going on trip...what parts to bring?

screaminta
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey all, this weekend I am going away for 5 days to go riding. I was just wondering what extra parts you all bring when you go far from home? I already plan on bringing extra levers/perch. cables, oils, chain, tire plugs, spark plugs...what else???let me know thanks!!!!

Aceman
06-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by screaminta
I already plan on bringing extra levers/perch. cables, oils, chain, tire plugs, spark plugs...what else???let me know thanks!!!!

Add to that filters, master link, jetting tools and jets, chain lube, fix-a-flat, spare fuel filter.

screaminta
06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
filters yes!!! already got link with extra chain....jets always in tool box.....thanks!!! keep them coming!!!

matt14c
06-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I usually keep a couple extra lug nuts and screws for fenders. Depending on the riding that im doing I will sometimes keep an extra set of cheap handlebars with me.

Dave83
06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Every since I drove 3 hrs to race and then quad wouldnt start because of no fire,I try to carry a coil and a stator if I have one available,also at least one ball joint and tie rod or tie rod ends.

norcalduner
06-08-2009, 09:23 PM
I always bring an entire spare ignition system e.g. coil, cdi, stator, etc. I have had enough experience to learn to bring a spare motor at times depending on how long the trip is and how far the drive.

I also have been unfortunate to breakdown in the middle of the desert miles from camp which made me come to a realization that no tools in your pack can help you out at that point except three things.

1. tow strap
2. water (if ya need to walk)
3. cell phone (if your lucky enough to get a signal)

Good luck and have fun !!!

atvmxr
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
spare tire for your trailer and truck, extra rims/tires, flags (?), torque wrenches, service manual, mulit-meter, flashlights, chairs, misc nuts and bolts, gaskets, copper spray, all the tools you have, locktite, gasket sealer.... its kinda murphy's law, you wont need anything you bring, just the stuff you left behind :)

I usually bring way way too much stuff with me, but its peace of mind...

bringing another quad is the best plan, I bring my all stock 450r with me everywhere as a back up. ;)

brokenmike
06-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Clutch cable, throttle cable, tires and rims...

regg187
06-10-2009, 02:19 PM
weird or not, I lost a kick starter out in the desert before. I had just about every other thing listed, but I spent the last day riding the beer cooler, because of no kick starter. I now have 2 spares!

regg187
06-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
spare tire for your trailer and truck, extra rims/tires, flags (?), torque wrenches, service manual, mulit-meter, flashlights, chairs, misc nuts and bolts, gaskets, copper spray, all the tools you have, locktite, gasket sealer.... its kinda murphy's law, you wont need anything you bring, just the stuff you left behind :)

I usually bring way way too much stuff with me, but its peace of mind...

bringing another quad is the best plan, I bring my all stock 450r with me everywhere as a back up. ;)

copper spray for the head gaskets, if the damage is that bad I don't want to tear it down in the middle of the dunes, that never goes well, in my experience. It is just too dirty for engine work. but the rest I understand. But with murphy's law bring it and you won't need it. like you said just bring a spare quad and you won't have any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punkmaster Flex
06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Dont forget fuel mixture too!! Sucks to have every tool but cant ride cause you're in the middle of no-where and you forgot your fuel tank at home lol.

deathman53
06-10-2009, 05:58 PM
people forget to bring a axle??? I've gone 1400 miles and not bend/break an axle, 40 miles and break one, ruined the night. I've also gone 1400 miles and wrecked an axle, carrier and motor. Bring an axle, carrier, filters, oil, ball joint, brake pads and tools to install all the parts. My last trip, I didn't hurt anything on the chassis, however, did blow a transmition on my quad. My atc250r came in handy for stealing the motor from, glad I brought it. Whatever you don't bring, you will end up needing it, if its in the cards. My friend brought a complete 250r minus rear shock to a race for spare parts, guess what.....he needed the rear shock.

Dave83
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
[i] My friend brought a complete 250r minus rear shock to a race for spare parts, guess what.....he needed the rear shock. [/B]
Now that sucks.....

weird or not, I lost a kick starter out in the desert before. I had just about every other thing listed, but I spent the last day riding the beer cooler, because of no kick starter. I now have 2 spares!
As much fun as the beer cooler can be,I think I wouldve pull started my quad.

deathman53
06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
thinking about it, I've broke and lost 2 kickers. All of this happened when I was alone in the woods and it was getting dark. I have enough parts in my trailer to fix most things on the bike, about the only thing missing is the motor, radiator, frame, suspension and a-arms.

regg187
06-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
Now that sucks.....

As much fun as the beer cooler can be,I think I wouldve pull started my quad.
being from AR I guess you don't ride much at 120+F, any little nusance grows exponetionaly above 117, trust me on this one!!! I still wanted friends after the weekend!!!