PDA

View Full Version : HD stud bigggggg screw up

EXinMB
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
so i followed GT thunder's instructions that came with my new head studs and heres my result i drill and tap the left side stud. I use the green sleeve retainer and install as i get close to the specs i actually have to put some effort into tightening the stud. all good. so i figure, hey i dont have to take the cylinder off for this ill keep goin. well bad stupid move.
I do the front stud and i can pretty much move it by hand i dunno if i tapped too far or what but the sleeve retainer seems to hold it pretty solid now. so i move onto the one by the cam chain tunnel. heres wehre i get very sad i drill it out tap it and guess what even if i drill it to the specified 2.200" its too far down and now i have shavings all over inside my right case cover. so i take the cylinder off and figure i might as well do the last one but as im drilling i can see that once again the 2.200" is too deep and now i can see the drill bit thru the cylinder in between the cooling fins. but i install the stud by hand once again and didn' even need a wrench to install them.
Now my question is after i clean out my bottom end and put it all back together are these holes gonna be a problem?
Im gonna be really pissed if my cylinders' shot but i dunno is this how it worked on anyone else's cylinder please give me some advice

bigbad400
06-08-2009, 05:24 PM
id call gt thunder and see whats up with that. first off thow how do you know you got your measurement correct? they will want to know im sure. a tape measure is not good enough it wont count on a warranty or anything of the sorts in a case like this you need a micrometer or something very accurate. sorry about the bad news man i never did HD studs so i dont really know if its supposed to do that or not. i would be freakin out thow, blowing up gt thunders phone.

uchi
06-08-2009, 06:22 PM
youll actually need a vernier to measure the hole. its like a ruler that has 2 clamp like ends that measure inside oute sizes and when you open it a slide comes out the bottom to measure depth. check it with that first to confirm your depths. you can get a cheap one for about 20 bucks