PDA

View Full Version : Kids 90 automatic not changing gears?

11-18-2001, 09:23 PM
I bought my son a little 90 automatic a month ago. Took it out to the trails for the first time it would not change gears. Just winding like it wanted to change gears but it would not.
Any help beside take it back to the dealer

it is a 2002 articcat 90 same as the polaris scrambler 90.

Any feedback would be great.

thanks

I know this is a 400 forum, but my 400 is running great and my kids machine is not.

MichaelS693
11-18-2001, 09:35 PM
It might be the belt im not sure cuz im not that familier with automatics but my friend went mud ridin with his and it was doin that and it was his belt in it

400exdad
11-19-2001, 05:45 AM
I can tell you whats wrong with it..... its not a Suzuki LT80. :D They're bulletproof!

To try to answer your question, and if it is set up like a Suzuki, it sounds like one of the cluthes is "frozen up". One clutch essentially engages and the other changes gears (actually they both kind of change gears). Pull the side cover off and check the smaller pulley of the two. If you can run it with the cover off that would be even better. My guess is that the front pulley isn't getting bigger. At the same time the rear pulley should get smaller. One of them is not doing their job. Once you discover which one isn't moving, a little grease may be all thats needed. Of course, taking the clutch apart would be required.

bakerboyz
11-19-2001, 06:59 AM
That model, two stroke I assume, has no gears. It has a CV (continuously Variable) trans.

You may have a restrictor/govener installed that is limiting performance.

11-19-2001, 07:20 AM
Call a dealer he said there is a restrictor on the cluch. will charge to remove it . he said you had to take off the cluch shield. Can have done in an hour. Can I do this myself

stevengates45
11-19-2001, 08:00 AM
Those bikes dont have gears. Well, in a way they dont. They have 1 gear that will push you forward. I used to own a Polaris. The only gears it had was reverse, forwarr high, & forward low.