PDA

View Full Version : Mixing rollers?

mfr440
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
We stumbled into a tuning problem with our DRX90 this past weekend. The summer-like high temps and humidity forced me to switch to lighter rollers. I only have two sets of rollers right now. The 4.5g are not enough weight, and the 5.5g are too much.

Will I create any problems if I use 3 of each weight of roller, alternating them in the variator? We have tried this for short-term testing, but I am wondering if it will have an adverse affect on the transmission/clutches/variator in the long-term? Any real-world results?

Thanks!

THARNESS
06-08-2009, 09:38 AM
It will not cause any problems at all as long as you alternate every other one.

06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
No it wont hurt anything im running 3-4.0 and 3-4.2s so it will be just fine as Tom said.

bulldogfallon
06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
The temps would require the carb to be tuned differently...Not sure how it would affect the rollers used?

Are you changing weights due to how the bike is running or sounds?

Both of which could be linked to the jetting that the humidity is changing?

Unless your torque spring is fatiguing faster in the additional heat?

Your roller weight is used to set your shift rpm...so adjusting would also adjust where the quad runs while the pulleys are shifting.

Does changing them seem to effect this number?

I would think it is the torque spring or jetting causing the issue.

Let me know what you sort out

mfr440
06-08-2009, 11:32 AM
THANKS for the replies, guys!

Originally posted by bulldogfallon
The temps would require the carb to be tuned differently...Not sure how it would affect the rollers used?
>>>The quad would rev up to the point that it should jump up on the pipe, and it would just level off. I think the heavier rollers were putting too much load on the motor, not allowing it to rev free.

Are you changing weights due to how the bike is running or sounds?
>>>The way it was running. It was bogging in the mid-range. Motor wasn't popping or anything.

Both of which could be linked to the jetting that the humidity is changing?
>>>We have a 115 main in it now. I tried the 112 and the quad would barely run under any load. I tried 118 just for fun, and it ran the same as with the 115. I think our jetting is OK.

Unless your torque spring is fatiguing faster in the additional heat?
>>>That could be - how do I test for this? The quad seemed to be fine on the low end. It was only bogging at mid-range, when it should have been jumping up on the pipe.

Your roller weight is used to set your shift rpm...so adjusting would also adjust where the quad runs while the pulleys are shifting.
>>I think the heavier rollers had it shifting to soon and the motor and pipe combo didn't have enough power to pull it.

Does changing them seem to effect this number?
>>>Yes. The quad revs much higher with the lighter springs before moving and then takes much longer to hit max speed.

I would think it is the torque spring or jetting causing the issue.
>>>I thought jetting, too. See above....If I get some time I will try different torque springs.

Let me know what you sort out
>>>Will do! It was running pretty well yesterday after I changed the rollers.

dblacks
06-08-2009, 01:29 PM
no issue in mixing rollers as long as you alternate them just like what someone else mentioned.

Stage 6 Rollers come in 3 packs and they also come in the .25 increments so you can tune even closer if need be.

Our 90 tends to start bogging at midrange when the torque spring needs to get replaced. I put a new one in and it runs perfect agian

bulldogfallon
06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Rollers are used to set shift speed (RPM) that motor runs at while the pulley shift.

Like a 10speed bike.....You pedal the same amount of times but the gear changes give you the speed.

I mentioned jetting since you seemed to reference the summer time as a change...which would cause a jetting change to be made as well.

You could also be engaging the clutch too high along with too heavy of rollers...

Where is the belt on the rear pulley when you take off?

If it is too far down the pulley you are starting out in 2nd gear

The motor starts in a hole before you get moving

tntauto1127
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
[/quote]Where is the belt on the rear pulley when you take off?

If it is too far down the pulley you are starting out in 2nd gear

The motor starts in a hole before you get moving [/B][/QUOTE]

How far down before it starts in second? I marked the front variator and the belt is going up approx 1/4" before the belt grabs. The rear is going down approx 3/4"

Logan #34's Dad
06-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Ideally, you want the clutch to grab just before the belt moves. That means it will be taking off in it's lowest (1st) gear. If it is grabbing after the belt moves you need to make adjustments. - Stiffer torque spring or lighter rollers. BUT first, make sure the clutch is engaging at the rpm you want it to then make the above change. ONE THING AT A TIME.
Gary, my question is, if I get it perfect while it is free wheeling on the stand will it be the same on the ground under load with Logan's big butt :p on the quad?
I have an idea for simulating a constant load while on the stand but it would really be hillbillyish! LOL. I've used the rear brake method but that could change via variating foot pressure.

tntauto1127
06-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks. I did have 3.5 rollers and a yellow malossi spring. It was revving good but no top end. So I decided to mix the only rollers I had, 3.5 and 4.8 = 4.15gr total (3 of each) still yellow spring. picked up top end but lost little rpm. The belt was moving down on rear 3/4" I am picking up 4.0 rollers tomorrow and I guess I will try a red malossi spring. Ported clinder/16mm carb

bulldogfallon
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Your belt length and variator type & spacing can also influence your stall and CVT performance.

If the belt sits higher in the rear pulley you have increased engine rpm stall...(takes more revolutions of the front pulley to turn the clutch once)

I sent you a PM....