PDA

View Full Version : how do you like to reduce arm pump?

BakerRacing40
06-07-2009, 10:56 PM
just wondering what everybody does to reduce or get rid of arm pump?

i don't go to wild, but it was bothering me over the weekend.. i usually ride when i can after work in the week, stretch and simple work out i can do at home, stay hydrated, and take an asprin some time before a race?
wondering what vitamins people take?

maticus
06-08-2009, 06:14 AM
the best thing that helps me is i try relax when im racing. like over jumps and on straights just keep reminding yourself to breathe and to not grip so tight.

dehner47
06-08-2009, 09:22 AM
heres a quick tip. one of the best ways to help your arm pump during a race weekend is try to get ur arms to pump as much as you can during practice. when your arms fill with blood and lactic acids(SP) your muscles become weak and hard to grip tight or even move then at all. but once the body reduces the acids and blood in your arms, it will take alot more blood and acids to make them pumped again. so the harder you get them pumped in practice, the less you'll have to worry about it during your motos. just make sure you rest, stretch, drink plenty of water/gatorade in between your practice rounds and motos. also, eat a banana before and after your motos/practices. lack of potassuim is a one of the major culprits of arm pump. potassuim will help reduce the lactic acids in your blood and help reduce the pump. and will also help from your kegs/hips from cramping in turns as you lean off the side of the bike.

i know this sounds crazy but really does work. i was told this tip a long time ago by my riding coach/team mate. thought he was crazy until i started to pay attention to it during the weekend of racing and it really did/does work. plus he's a DR. so i had to take his advice. haha

just try it next time your out at the races. you'll see a major difference in arm pump during your motos.

now, there are hundred tried and true ways to reduce or elliminate arm pump all together. so try all the differnt ways that people tell you about. you gotta find what your body needs or is lacking that makes you pump up. try them all out, and see which one works best for you.

mini racer #39
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
We got my son a Powerball Gryo. It sounds crazy but it really does work.
http://www.arm-pump.com/about.html

LTRracer4
06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
heres a quick tip. one of the best ways to help your arm pump during a race weekend is try to get ur arms to pump as much as you can during practice. when your arms fill with blood and lactic acids(SP) your muscles become weak and hard to grip tight or even move then at all. but once the body reduces the acids and blood in your arms, it will take alot more blood and acids to make them pumped again. so the harder you get them pumped in practice, the less you'll have to worry about it during your motos. just make sure you rest, stretch, drink plenty of water/gatorade in between your practice rounds and motos. also, eat a banana before and after your motos/practices. lack of potassuim is a one of the major culprits of arm pump. potassuim will help reduce the lactic acids in your blood and help reduce the pump. and will also help from your kegs/hips from cramping in turns as you lean off the side of the bike.

i know this sounds crazy but really does work. i was told this tip a long time ago by my riding coach/team mate. thought he was crazy until i started to pay attention to it during the weekend of racing and it really did/does work. plus he's a DR. so i had to take his advice. haha

just try it next time your out at the races. you'll see a major difference in arm pump during your motos.

now, there are hundred tried and true ways to reduce or elliminate arm pump all together. so try all the differnt ways that people tell you about. you gotta find what your body needs or is lacking that makes you pump up. try them all out, and see which one works best for you.

This is really good info.

To add to that. when you eat a banana the potasium will go primarily to waste unless you have a protein along with it. I believe it was Christian from moto x nutrition that told me this. A 16oz glass of orange juice has more potasium in it then a banana with less sugar. its natural sugar in both cases, but less is better. he said the best power drink you can have at the begining of the race day is to mix some vanilla whey powder with that 16oz of orange juice.

Also Gatorade, Powerade, Propel, etc. They're all bad for you. Citric Acid, High Fructose Corn Syrup... the list goes on. On race day from morning till bed you should only drink water, or juices are at 100% juice. Eat a hand full of pretzels between practice and moto 1 and between moto 1 and 2. There is enough salt in that to replenish your electrolytes. Thats all i got right now. if i think of more ill put it up.

quad2xtreme
06-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Taking Aspirin 30 minutes before I ride seems to help me the most. I can get arm pump so bad that I swear I've pulled a tendon. If that happens, I pull off and take aspirin and wait 20 minutes.

I can believe it is related to vitamins and such in your body too. The MotoX Nutrition vitamins and minerals also seems to work. I drink OJ and eat oatmeal for breakfast most days before riding or racing.

reptikes
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by dehner47

Very good post !

gcart2
06-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Taking Aspirin 30 minutes before I ride seems to help me the most. I can get arm pump so bad that I swear I've pulled a tendon. If that happens, I pull off and take aspirin and wait 20 minutes.

I can believe it is related to vitamins and such in your body too. The MotoX Nutrition vitamins and minerals also seems to work. I drink OJ and eat oatmeal for breakfast most days before riding or racing.

moto x nutritions Rem-x is some good stuff. honestly the best sleep i have ever had.

mxpimp2000
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
believe it or not TUMS/ASPRINS/BANANAS

i heard the tums worked but didnt believe it at first so i took it into consideration and last race i bought like 8 bananas some tums and asprins. i ate 1-2 bananas every 15-20 mins and beofre the moto i ate 2 tums and 2 asprins. I was shocked at the results because i rode my hardest and didnt get any pump at all but the endurance is what got my after 4th lap because i wasnt in top shape.

u can make u a arm pump exerciser by gettin a striaght bar about the length of ur handle bars drill hole in center tie a string or thin rope threw the bar hold the bar striaght in front of u cut the string/rope about knee height. tie a 5lb weight to the string/rope and start twisting up the weight independitally so each arm gets same amount of workout. make sure u twist the bar up and then back down dont just let it drop once u get it rolled up or you wont feel full effect.

my problem now is my hands they cramp alot esp my throttle side

LTRracer4
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
moto x nutritions Rem-x is some good stuff. honestly the best sleep i have ever had.

x2.

The Cynergy made me sick as a dog, and the endurogen is just okay, but the rem-x is a must to me now.. with traveling and bike work and what not its hard to get a full night's sleep before the race.. if i take rem x even after only 4 or 5 hours of sleep i feel more rested then i would a normal 8 hours

FHKracingZ
06-09-2009, 01:32 AM
Cytosport makes a recovery drink i take in between motos that alot of pro bike riders use.

Remember, arm pump is as much or more mental as it is physical...

Scro
06-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
believe it or not TUMS/ASPRINS/BANANAS

i heard the tums worked but didnt believe it at first so i took it into consideration and last race i bought like 8 bananas some tums and asprins. i ate 1-2 bananas every 15-20 mins and beofre the moto i ate 2 tums and 2 asprins. I was shocked at the results because i rode my hardest and didnt get any pump at all but the endurance is what got my after 4th lap because i wasnt in top shape.

u can make u a arm pump exerciser by gettin a striaght bar about the length of ur handle bars drill hole in center tie a string or thin rope threw the bar hold the bar striaght in front of u cut the string/rope about knee height. tie a 5lb weight to the string/rope and start twisting up the weight independitally so each arm gets same amount of workout. make sure u twist the bar up and then back down dont just let it drop once u get it rolled up or you wont feel full effect.

my problem now is my hands they cramp alot esp my throttle side

I've tried the tums and bananas thing. The tums may have helped a little, but the bananas just made me sick as a dog after the race. Puking banana pudding is no fun.

There's no magic pill, exercise, or food that will eliminate it. The #1 thing you need to do to reduce arm pump is to RIDE! That's the only thing that will build up those specific muscles.

ProspectorJim
06-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Get some of these things. You can find them in alot of sporting goods stores. Hold your arms out like your gripping the bars and do as many as you can.

Rootar
06-09-2009, 11:13 AM
My cure for arm pump was to learn to ride loose...

dont ride with a death grip, use your legs to help keep you on the bike and just flow it, dont try to fight it, as you get more comfortable youll get faster and even less tired. let the bike react to the terrain and you just float over it.

Flexx bars are nice too! and you also want to get larger diameter grips such as some ODI rouges.....

LTRracer4
06-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by FHKracingZ

Remember, arm pump is as much or more mental as it is physical...

Cant believe no one has said this yet. Theres a kid around here that will talk to you before the moto eating a s'more, and then go out and wax A class. Sure some people are natural at it, but when im eating bananas and stuff like that he always tells me its all mental... This is where riding alot comes in. Sure riding helps your physical capabilities, but if you ride all the time chances are your confedence in your endurance will be much greater, thus letting you last and entire moto.

BakerRacing40
06-09-2009, 08:16 PM
ride time helps a lot and i haven't been able to do any cause of injury. but ya on saturday night first time out in a couple months, just flat track oval. my left arm really pumped up bad. but i've switched to burgard +2 stem vs stock, tag metals t-2 big bars vs 7/8 moose bars, and pro taper dual compound grips- soft vs really soft scott. so not sure if getting use to the new mods is part of it or just lack of practice? or both? the races were back to back pretty much.

ccmuscle22
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
This is really good info.

To add to that. when you eat a banana the potasium will go primarily to waste unless you have a protein along with it. I believe it was Christian from moto x nutrition that told me this. A 16oz glass of orange juice has more potasium in it then a banana with less sugar. its natural sugar in both cases, but less is better. he said the best power drink you can have at the begining of the race day is to mix some vanilla whey powder with that 16oz of orange juice.

Also Gatorade, Powerade, Propel, etc. They're all bad for you. Citric Acid, High Fructose Corn Syrup... the list goes on. On race day from morning till bed you should only drink water, or juices are at 100% juice. Eat a hand full of pretzels between practice and moto 1 and between moto 1 and 2. There is enough salt in that to replenish your electrolytes. Thats all i got right now. if i think of more ill put it up.

Yeah, the Cynergy can give a candida "die off" effect if you have had a high sugar diet over the years or a few good rounds of antibiotics. The Cynergy is pretty powerful and has an extremely high polysaccharide content.
Another thing would be to add 1 REM-X capsule prior to your race. The high Magnesium Krebs Cycle Chelates will work really well to relax the muscle and increase Adenosine Tri-Phosphate (ATP) within the muscle. Which in turn will shuttle fresh blood and oxygen in faster to boost arm recovery.

Christian
TEAM MXN MotoX Nutrition
www.motoxnutrition.com

Bryson#221
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Why do I get the idea you consider arm pump a bad thing?

Hm. I think it's kind gnarly! :macho

LTRracer4
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
Why do I get the idea you consider arm pump a bad thing?

Hm. I think it's kind gnarly! :macho

What?:huh

BakerRacing40
06-12-2009, 09:16 PM
well i just went down to gnc and bought some 100% whey protein drink mix. mixed berry flavor, don't know if it tastes good or not yet? lol but i'll find out tomorrow when i go and work out. i'm back to eating right, well trying my best to anyways... i really hope this stuff tastes decent..

Jake250ex
06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by LTRracer4
Theres a kid around here that will talk to you before the moto eating a s'more, and then go out and wax A class.

My buddy is the same way. We both race XC, I ride B, he rides pro locally and consistent top 5 in college A in the GNCC's. Usually takes the overall or is on ockermans heels locally...

Anyway heres the deal. He doesnt train, or ride unless hes racing. As bad as it sounds, Ive seen him race hungover and on an hour of sleep... At lorettas he chugged a redbull on a 3rd lap pit stop. Nothin stops him or slows him down.

I run a few miles a day, bike everyday and ride at least 1 day a week..

A huge part of it is mental.

Plus... some people just got it.

k4f5x0r
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
well on the quad i never really get arm pump anymore because ive ridden it so much for so long.

on the dirtbike i get it baddd on the underside of your arms which i guess you dont use on the quad. but like someone said the only way to get rid of it(besides flexx bars or any of that stuff) is to just keep on riding and ignore it. i think two weeks ago first time iw as on it this month my arms were killing me. i went this past saturday and they barely bothered me at all.

06LTRfofiddy
06-16-2009, 02:15 PM
heres what i do....find the toughest jump on a track...do it a few times...then wreck and break ur collar bone...arm pump problem solved!:blah:

check out the uphill triple vid at ncmp a couple posts up.,..step by step instructions :devil:

Britboy
08-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I just started using Hammer Nutrition products with some of my riders/athletes. We have seen some great improvements especially in the heat of the summer when body temps rise, dehydration sets in fast etc. Once dehdyrated your race speed with drop and the time it takes to recover from a ride/race will be longer. Arm pump will increase etc etc you get the picture

Hammer Nutrition - HEED (High Energy Electrolyte Drink) is awesome, and has been the choice of endurance athletes (marathon runners, triathletes) for years.

There Recoverite - bars and drinks are great inbetween motos and after a hard day riding- you will feel the difference the next day for sure!

If you want to try any of their products, use this web address below and you will get 15% OFF your first order (it wont be reflected in the shopping cart, but on your final invoice it will be in there)......I have used it numerous times, and so have my riders and it works and isnt a scam or anything, just a discount code.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/206059/

ikas
08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Tigerbalm is a good way to not getting armpump

KKiowaTJ
08-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Good info all around. I was the type to never work out unless it was seat time. Thats the reason i needed to be in shape, Might as well let it tune your body for the long haul.

Another thing i always do, Get a can of liquid fill seal foam and fill your bars with it. It takes alot of vibrations and hard hits out of the picture. Its alot cheaper than flexx bars that dont do any better at least IMO.

Good luck

slightlybent47
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
A simple exercise you can do anywhere and it’s free, is just open and close your hand from a tight fist to an open hand as fast as you can over and over.
Try it; see how long you can do it before the burn sets in.lol
If you are getting arm pump, chances are your gripping the bars too tight. Learn to relax.
With a tight grip it restricts the blood flow reducing the amount of oxygen your arm mussels get.
Don’t believe me?
Do the exercise with your hands by your side and then do it with your arms over your head.
It should start burning faster with your arms over your head. Why? Because your arms get less blood with them over your head.

Simple but effective!

ltrfofiddy32
08-04-2012, 10:15 AM
take a pipe of some sort, tie 550 cord (or thin rope) around it make the cord long enough to go from your chest to the ground. then tie anywhere between a 5 to 10 lb. weight to it.

simply put your arms straight out and roll it all the way up and all the way down as many times as you can. make sure you keep your arms parallel.

that excersise helps me a ton.

finsteratv
08-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Bananas and water, I sometimes kinda roll my forearms out. I grip with my knees a lot of the time when I ride and pro taper pillow tops (bigger grips) seem to help too.

SRH
08-04-2012, 11:42 AM
is moto x nutrition still in business? website isnt working

HondaRacing83
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
im a not so busy kid on summer vacation and ride atleast 4 or more days a week for atleast over an hour usually about 3. yeah i got a high gas bill lol. but i never get armpump. i ride hard on rough ****, and am faster than most people on 450s. i drink a lot of water but i do not eat healthy whatsoever lol. im not thinking how my arms feel when im riding im just trying to get faster. im the fastest out of everyone i ride with. my buddy thought he could destroy me on his yfz, i blew him out of the water on a stock bore 400ex lol. seat times the key

Ruby Soho
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
then when you go to the local track you get your *** handed to you:macho

HondaRacing83
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
i dont ride mx :p

phreak
08-06-2012, 07:46 AM
since i've been drinking this before and in between sessions, i dont get arm pump anymore.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Cytomax.jpg

i've only tried the tropical fruit and the cool citrus flavors. both are delicious.

ben300
08-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
then when you go to the local track you get your *** handed to you:macho

i think, if he ever get to race a real XC race, he's got a rude awakening coming. i know i did my first time out

Ruby Soho
08-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by ben300
i think, if he ever get to race a real XC race, he's got a rude awakening coming. i know i did my first time out

i used to hate on Xc guys when i was younger. i rode trails all my life and hit the mx track here and there. always thought MX was harder and more demanding

then i raced unadilla gncc on a clapped out 97 rm250. boy was i wrong, i give big props to xc guys. i only finished 2 laps. placed 12th tho haha....granted i didnt sleep the night before as we rolled the truck on the way to the race and once we finally got there at 2am by the time we said **** it why bother even going to bed! what a weekend that was

K-Dub
08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
As a young man I laugh at people *****ing about arm pump as I had no clue what it felt like. I was off the quad for the most part of 9 years, I'd jump on a buddy's now and then. When I started back I got a little bit of it I was 32, after a couple months of seat time it was gone. Now at 39 and 3 elbow surgery's I suffer bad, esp in the arm of the surgery. One thing I have found to help me is wrist curls with a 10 pound dumbbell and do the curls as fast as I can. I do 4 sets of 50 3 different directions. When I am done I cant make a fist, but is really helping my riding.

MX MaNiAc 06
08-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Stand on your head and eat half a jar of peanut butter approximately 73 minutes before your Moto. Golden.