PDA

View Full Version : Problems

Choppers
06-07-2009, 08:32 PM
So after putting my new crf cam chain and guides in. I put the cam and sprocket back on. IT was in time because i puit a screw driver in the spark plug and rotated the engine by hand. So i put the rocker cover or valve cover on to adust my valve clearances and no matter what i do put the cam 180 degrees in or out the rockers are tight. Any help is appreciated. I am lost at the point to what could have went wrong

hypersnyper6947
06-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Are you positive your at TDC when your checking the valves?

Choppers
06-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Well i never checked the clearances because the rockers are all tight. which means something isn't right. They should all have some slack in them.

Honda#4
06-07-2009, 09:36 PM
You might be on the wrong stroke.

Choppers
06-07-2009, 09:40 PM
i have tried both storkes and also tried swapping the cam 180 degrees. what else can i do?

hypersnyper6947
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Make sure its at TDC first, its to easy to do so just do it. The "slack" in the rockers is so minimal you have to set it with a feeler guage so it may be hard to tell. When its at TDC all the lobes on the cam should be facing down. Once you got that all lined up then go about setting your valves to the proper clearences. If i remember correctly there .006 and .005, im sure someone can correct me if im wrong.

bigbad400
06-08-2009, 08:13 AM
.004 and .005 for stock you need to make sure the sprocket lines are lined up with the motor, there is 3 lines on the cam sprocket the 2 horizontal lines need to be flat with the motor and the one in the middle points up, you need to be 100% your on TDC by checking it through the peep hole on the motor. there is a T mark along with others so make sure its the right one. this is not a job you should be doing without the proper tools and the knowledge, setting a screwdriver in the plug hole is not safe practice. a 17 mm and a socket wrench you could have set it to TDC in seconds, no question. ther is only wiggle room on the rockers, very small amount of play. if you have no wiggle room even positively at TDC you prolly have terrible carbon build up on the valve seats causing it to stay tight.

post up some pics of the sprocket placement and cam also check to make sure you have everything perfect, are you 100%?

bigbad400
06-08-2009, 08:21 AM
you should have had it a TDC befor you took it all apart too, in the book it states to check the T mark and make sure its lined up like 20 times in the valves section. your basicaly going to need to start over from the removal of the chain. now TDC TDC TDC i cant stress that enough. cam sprocket lines lobes on the cam all face down. there is a small spring and a plunger that need to be set in this tiney hole do you know what im talking about its the cam setting plunger, that also needs to be there unless its a aftermarket cam. spring first then plunger on top. you can pm me if you need more info.

Choppers
06-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a hotcam stage 2 so its aftermarket cam. I am almost positive that it is at TDC. I will have to look on wendesday night as i will be very busy until then. And everything was at TDC when I took it apart and put it back together.

bigbad400
06-08-2009, 02:54 PM
just go thru it again and reset the cam sprocket and the flywheel, be careful not to let anything slip even a hair off those lines need to be perfect and at TDC when you put it all together. you can rotate the flywheel a couple times and see if it is in time by setting it to the T mark and checking the sprocket again to double check befor you put it all back together. good luck and ive done it wrong once too and i learned the hard way but i can do it in my sleep now so, just be 100% its right befor you put things together thats all.

Choppers
06-08-2009, 04:55 PM
yea i put it together once also to only find out that the motor was out of time. i can usually do it in my sleep also. but this time i am stumped. but i am gonna mess with it more wendesday when i don't have class. thanks again guys i will post back if i get it figured out.