PDA

View Full Version : Review on Lifan150

Ride1Rob
06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Since I put this motor in the Xtreme and Jam has ridden it, I felt like it was a good one. I wouldn't really know until we had a chance to race it. Jam had his 1st race on the Lifan150 last nite and it was everything and more than what I expected. In the 1st race he pulled the holeshot by about 2.5 lengths and checked out. He won with about a 6-7sec lead. In the 2nd race he got the holeshot again but almost lost it after he shift into 3rd wayyy too soon. An older kid on a DRR gained on him but by the time he got on Jams rear tire Jam pulled away. The two of them battled for six laps and Jam held the lead the whole race to the finish. This motor has so much power in stock form that we're coming off the gate in 2nd gear with a 16t front sprocket. The YX150 motor with the ported head and cam doesn't compare at all with this Lifan in stock form. All the bikes on the gate tonite where in stock form so we don't know how it'll compare to the built 2 strokes. Had a few parents to come over after the race asking about the motor and commenting on how fast it is. If anyone is planning on upgrading to a shifter motor my advise is to consider the Lifan. For a stock motor it has totally bypassed my expectations. I'll keep you guys posted on the performance as time goes on.

nordic quad
06-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats on your sons great results,i also tought of getting my son a typhoon but he said he did not want a shifter yet so i bought him a Apex 100,he had the first big race this weekend with it and was first to see the checker flag in both motos.A few of the other dads now want to uppgrade their sons quads,is this your engine?

http://www.crash.no/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1156

Ride1Rob
06-07-2009, 07:25 PM
That's it!

The Apex is a runner no doubt. A friend of mine is considering one as well as the Pister Pro quad. Not many peeps down here race them and I don't know exactly why. Everyone is on the DRR craze. The fourstroke mini has surely turned some heads locally after this weekends race for sure.

leager-n-ky
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Hey Rob, What pipe did you use with this one?

Ride1Rob
06-08-2009, 06:36 AM
It's the same one we've been using. I ordered a Pitster Pro from T-Bolt but it's some off brand that he sent me. I have no clue who makes it or what it is but it's pretty nice.

Hanksdad
06-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Excellent review!!! It's good to get good first hand info on comparison of both engines. Eventually I will be buying a new motor for the boys typhoon and this is the type info I can trust since you obviously have had enough experience with both to give fair and true evaluation. Looking forward to update as to how this stocker compares to the modded two's. My wallet appreciates anybodies evaluations or reviews of different typhoon products. Curious about suspension set-ups as well. Elka, Works, Fox, etc. What works best for typhoon?

Ride1Rob
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I do what I can to help guys like me find solutions to make this bike a better machine. It can be very frustrating looking for answers and not have them.

There's a Drr builder here that was complimenting the Xtreme's last performance. He has race motors all over the Central Florida area and was telling the friend of mine he was pretty impressed. It's good to show the 2strokes parents that the thumpers will perform. Exspecially after hearing comments like, "If you get him on a Drr he'd be fast". etc.... It will really be interesting to see how it runs against the modded 2 strokes. Myself, I think the motor is capable now but Jam still has quite a way to go before he can ride with kids that much older and that more experienced than he is.

Just for info... I was told that the YX motor we had was 140. I added the 150 bigbore kit and ported head as well as the cam. The YX150 uses the KLX head and has more power from what I hear than the motor we had. Yet, I'm still reading where out of the box the Lifan150 outperforms the YX150 and 160 motors stock for stock. The knock on the Lifan is it doesn't have any upgrades in terms of bigbore kits.

nordic quad
06-09-2009, 11:10 AM
This head should help you gain some hp.

I kinda like the thumpers to,wery interested in the new Pitster Pro quad.

http://www.24moto.se/en/prod.asp?subkid=sub-20080724202138&kid=kat-20070302153644

Ride1Rob
06-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanx for the hookup Nordic Quad! I have been asking around about the big valve 30/24 TB head but no one is saying how much hp is gained from a 27/23 standard Lifan head. It seems that there isn't much difference between the two so I decided to stay with the 27/23. I know when I add it to the Lifan it'll breath much better with the port job done to it. Curiosity is really eating at me to tear it apart and add it and the cam to see how she runs.

nordic quad
06-09-2009, 02:35 PM
I know the feeling:D

leager-n-ky
06-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Hey Rob, did you get the four up shifting, or one down three up

Ride1Rob
06-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Four up. I heard the 1 down 3 up has issues because of the shift pattern.

leager-n-ky
06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
thats what I heard also, the guy that was suppose to be getting me two more Lifan 140's (for 5 mnths now) just informed me that his new 140 motors are YX, nobody can seem to find the 140 in the four up, and now everyone wants to sell the 150's with the 1 down and three up, and I dont want them.

Ride1Rob
06-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Here ya go... ;)
Let me know if you get.
Free shipping and probably one of the best prices you'll find. If you get it order some heavy duty cam springs as well to replace with stockers.
http://www.killermotorsports.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LIFAN150CCENGINE&HistoryRemove=2434&historysingle=YES

hanzito
06-13-2009, 09:58 PM
i own a yx160 yx 140 and a gpx 125. all modified. and there isnot a chance in hell of any of the motors keeping up with the modded yx 160. WE also have a lifan 140 in the garage. no chance in hell.

the yx 160 has a 177 bbk, a tbv2 head, mikuni 26mm. no porting, cam or flywheel change. i am running the cam that comes with the v2 head.

the gpx 125 is built. lightened flywheel, ignition coil, 146bbk, mikuni 26mm, ported and cammed head. it rips.

the yx 140 has the 160bbk, big valve head 27/23, mikuni 26mm.

lifan 140 stock.

the yx160 is in my sons typhoon now, and even with is little buddy on a stock yx160 in a pitster pro pit bike. my son tears him off the line and in a drage race. the modded yx160 is the most insane motor i have run into. ran against many modded klx, and xr dual over head cam motors. none pull as hard as the yx 160. many of my buddys after just putting the head and bbk on my motor switched to it. because i could pull 2 lengths by the first turn20 yards away.

when my son has raced his quad against the drr. he has done very well. the rider we race with that has the drr is very good. signifigantly better than my son. But off the lne there is no comparison. my sons tears him. in a standing start with a 20 yard run at the first turn in flat track this winter. my son jumped him by two lenghts. i think it would be a bigger gap if my son was better as he slows down a lot comeing into the corners uses the compression breaking to slow down rather than breaks. but he still manages to win. because hi pulls 2 and 3 lengths every straight away. only 40 yards long. the drr is a very built 90 water cooled that is used to compete in the WORCS sereis. very quick machine. But has nothing for the yx160. Plus i am not turning wrenches on it every weekend. put gas in it clean the filter an dchange the oil and run the hell out of it.

My son just burned 20 gal of fuel a few weekends ago down in winnemucca at the sand dunes spinning his padle tires with now oil cooler. runs awsome and kick on the first start.

Ride1Rob
06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by hanzito
i own a yx160 yx 140 and a gpx 125. all modified. and there isnot a chance in hell of any of the motors keeping up with the modded yx 160. WE also have a lifan 140 in the garage. no chance in hell.

I never said the stock Lifan 150 would run with modded YX150's and 160's. I said stock for stock and that is based on research that I have done from owners that have had both. However, I can tell you from PERSONAL experience that the modded YX140 we had in the bike doesn't hold a candle to this stock Lifan 150.

The Lifan 140 motor is a different setup than the Lifan 150 motor and the comparison between the two is that much different because of cams and head setup. This is one of the reason why the motor is so powerful out of the box. Also, I never said the Lifan 150 modded would outperform a 160+ modded yx motor. I haven't done any research on that and couldn't tell you either way. From what I have read, there quite a bit of riders that choose the YX setup ONLY because of big bore options of 160, 170, & 180.

If your gpx125 has a 146 big bore it's not a 125 anymore. It's a 150 just as your yx140 is not a 140 anymore but a 160 because of it's big bore. Go to PlanetMinnis and do some reading. You'd be amazed at how peeps just like me are suprised by this Lifan150 out of the box setup setup. I already have a TB300 race cam and was told not to bother putting it in because the stock Lifan150 cam is just as good. Therefore I'm going to an even more aggressive cam with much more lift and duration, stiffer springs, and add the ported head and this motor is going to be INSANE!!!