PDA

View Full Version : rear shock adjustment

BuB400
06-06-2009, 10:49 AM
I know the adjustment screw on the top end of the shock is for rebound. But whats the adjustment screw on the bottem end for?

ae13291
06-06-2009, 01:29 PM
the top is for compression, and the bottom is for rebound. compression will make the shock harder to push in.

BuB400
06-07-2009, 08:01 PM
but what if you crank down the nuts on top of the spring? Isn't that for compression also?

MtnEX
06-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by BuB400
but what if you crank down the nuts on top of the spring? Isn't that for compression also?

That's for preload...

Sag... Ride height...

hypersnyper6947
06-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by ae13291
the top is for compression, and the bottom is for rebound. compression will make the shock harder to push in.

The knobs on the rezzies do which?

MtnEX
06-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
The knobs on the rezzies do which?

That should be the compression.

On some shocks though, the compression is affected by the rebound and the reverse.

This is probably because the valving inside the shock is "relational" to an extent on some.

I usually find I end up playing with BOTH before getting both tweaked in the best for me.

The preload on your springs will affect it too.

Compression = resistance to being compressed

Rebound = resistance to extending back out fully

hypersnyper6947
06-08-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by MtnEX
That should be the compression.

On some shocks though, the compression is affected by the rebound and the reverse.

This is probably because the valving inside the shock is "relational" to an extent on some.

I usually find I end up playing with BOTH before getting both tweaked in the best for me.

The preload on your springs will affect it too.

Compression = resistance to being compressed

Rebound = resistance to extending back out fully

Im pretty sure i only have compression and preload on my axis rear and my TCS fronts. I have the ride height (preload)where i want it, but i have not messed with the knobs on the res bottles at all because i wanted to learn about the m a bit before i go messen with them. Any suggestions or input?

MtnEX
06-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Aftermarket stuff should be fully adjustable... and some will also have both high and low speed compression and rebound adjustments to add even more tuneability.

I'm surprised they did not come with manuals.

Look at the clickers for the resi's.
Do they have an inner clicker and outer nut?
Or two clickers?
(high/low speed compression)

Look down at the bottoms around the bases for clickers. Those should be your rebound speed.

Compression you want the resistance high enough to keep you from bottoming the suspension a lot and high enough to keep body roll from becoming 3-wheeling.

Rebound you want fast enough so the shock extends fast enough to avoid packing up on washboard surfaces and running out of travel... and fast enough so your front doesn't float out and wash out from lack of ground contact..... but not so fast that either end kicks or bucks after compression.

Where to set them depends on your shock's valving, your terrain, your riding type, your riding style and your weight.

ae13291
06-08-2009, 08:03 PM
the bottom adjustment, rebound, the more you turn the screw clockwise it will make the shock come out slower when its pushed down, the top screw compression when you turn it clockwise it will make the shock harder to push in, the oil will move slowly inside the shock, and the spring collers will make the preload more.

hypersnyper6947
06-09-2009, 12:48 AM
So i was investigating my shocks a little bit today and i found the rebound adjustment screw.

I still have not started the adjustment process because i dont feel like there is any problem. Im sure there is theres no way there adjusted right i have not even touched them, but i never notice anyting that feels wrong. I can fly over woops, it does seem to bottom a little at the track, other than that they seem to be set up great. Is there anything specific im looking for when riding to give me clues to what i need to adjust.

MtnEX
06-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
So i was investigating my shocks a little bit today and i found the rebound adjustment screw.

I still have not started the adjustment process because i dont feel like there is any problem. Im sure there is theres no way there adjusted right i have not even touched them, but i never notice anyting that feels wrong. I can fly over woops, it does seem to bottom a little at the track, other than that they seem to be set up great. Is there anything specific im looking for when riding to give me clues to what i need to adjust.

You may be pretty darn close to what the shock MFG's consider average rider weight... in other words the weight the are set up for from the factory.

You may not need to adjust anything.
The way you describe it sounds like you are about right.

There is always the possibility that you just haven't experienced "better" too and don't really know if you are missing anything.

If you think that may be the case, you can always go at it with a notepad... do some adjusting each way to see if it gets better or worse... and keep the changes written down so you can go back to where you are now if you don't find a more desirable setting.