PDA

View Full Version : coolant drain hole stripped. help

2fiftosR
06-06-2009, 04:09 AM
the actual thread in the cylinder is stripped out.
whats the best fix??

cdrookie
06-06-2009, 06:46 AM
helicoil

IcutMetl
06-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Yep; helicoil. I believe the original thread is an M6x1, maybe it's an M5...better check. You should be able to buy a small kit that includes the correct size drill bit, a heli-coil specific tap, coils, and installation tool. The thread you end up with is often stronger than the one you started with.

In a pinch, a needlenose pliers will work to install them and break off the tang.

Sometimes you'll be able to find them at autoparts stores; but MSC Industrial Supply is always a winner too.

Jason Hall
06-06-2009, 06:35 PM
I know this will sound wrong. I have been a mechanic for 20+ years. I would not Intetionally tell someone something that would not work. I have done this LOTS of times to fix a stripped M6 X1.0 quickly. As long as the stripped thread Is In ALUMINUM, a 1/4-20 standard bolt will cut PERFECT threads without doing anything to the existing hole.

I know alot of you might bash me for suggesting this, but I Gaurantee It will work, Try It sometime. I understand that some people don't want a American thread where a metric bolt belongs. For those guys, a heli coil Is the answer. For those not mechanicaly Inclined enough to Install a heli coil, a 1/4-20 will work just fine!!!!

IcutMetl
06-06-2009, 06:48 PM
The guy is right; in a pinch it can be done. It's definitely a little "dirty," but it will get the job done. Being a machinist, it kinda makes me cringe, but Jason has a very good point; if you can't get the right stuff, this will get ya going again.

2fiftosR
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
thanks for the replys. its in a pro-x so i will try out the 1/4-20 bolt, not at all familiar with helicoils.