PDA

View Full Version : KTM Stops Production of ATVs

400excracer
06-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I just heard from somone in the industry that KTM has stopped production of their ATVs and they are being discontinued. Anyone else hear this?

scuzz
06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
From another forum:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781887

All ATV's
50 SX Junior
65 XC

85 SX

125 SX
85 XC
105 XC
200 XC
250 XCF
450 XCF
505 XCF

400excracer
06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I was hoping that I was wrong. High price and a bad economy doomed this quad.

coryatver
06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
dang well there goes my back up plan if honda goes efi. I just hope Yamaha doesn't drop the original yfz

scuzz
06-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Wassa matter with EFI?

Don't technology hate!

coryatver
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Wassa matter with EFI?

Don't technology hate!

I am going to be a computer engineerer trust me I don't hate technology it just has its place. XC race conditions are brutal. Mud, water, rocks, brush, sticks, branches, High temperature, hard impacts. That stuff just does not go with electronics and wires. As the saying goes keep it simple stupid. I believe the push for efi is just becuase it gives quads better emissions.

kamyk
06-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Totally agree with above response !! wait until September that's when KTM would announce Supermoto and presumably atv's !! Don't let the fact get ahead of the good story !! anyway people from ktmtalk.com don't really support atv's - dono why just read their responses !

scuzz
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
I am going to be a computer engineerer trust me I don't hate technology it just has its place. XC race conditions are brutal. Mud, water, rocks, brush, sticks, branches, High temperature, hard impacts. That stuff just does not go with electronics and wires. As the saying goes keep it simple stupid. I believe the push for efi is just becuase it gives quads better emissions.

:D

So something like, as brutal as the Baja 500? :devil:

I think efi has proved it's longevity as well as any other part on a quad.

coryatver
06-07-2009, 11:01 PM

So something like, as brutal as the Baja 500? :devil:

I think efi has proved it's longevity as well as any other part on a quad.

I am afraid I am not going to have a semi of parts at every checkpoint and a chopper following me and 10 different mechanics to fix anything that goes wrong lol. I can mess around with carbs. I don't need $5,000 budds software to program my quad or a 400 controller. What happens to them things when they are under water lol.

Honda won the baja 1000 on a Rincon Utility quad they could win it on anything with how much money and support they give there teams. I really wish they would stop blowing millions racing desert races no one really cares about and give some gnc and gncc pros some rides.

What amazes me is that Polaris won the dakar but they can't even finish a 2 hour gncc race lol:eek2:

GE4x4
06-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Where are you coming up with Polaris not finishing a GNCC race?

coryatver
06-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Where are you coming up with Polaris not finishing a GNCC race?

Mark Notman. (got 17th in the nation last year on a Honda) Has FINISHED 1 RACE this year 8 rounds in and has not even finished a local awrcs this year 4 rounds in.

http://www.racer-results.net/results/gncc/2009/seriespoints.asp?s=2&c=24

scuzz
06-08-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm willing let bet and ice cold coke that you'll find other issues with quads breaking that have efi before the actual EFI unit. Until you prove it, the ice cold refreshing coke stays on ice in my ice chest. :P

I bet you have less than 1:1000 (or more) ratio of an efi controller breaking.

I really think you're grasping at straws here...

TricityCdale
06-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't trust anything from the quad haters at thumpertalk....

Also, did Borich put a carb on his Suzuki?:devil:

KTM=Overpriced, old-technology, in for a piece of the quick buck that was ATV sales.

GE4x4
06-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Mark Notman. (got 17th in the nation last year on a Honda) Has FINISHED 1 RACE this year 8 rounds in and has not even finished a local awrcs this year 4 rounds in.

http://www.racer-results.net/results/gncc/2009/seriespoints.asp?s=2&c=24

One guy has had issues and from Yokley race reports, suspension and arm pump seem to be the most common. Yet the rest of the guys seem to be doing fine.

quadracer85st
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
i would agree that ktm is trying to get its piece of the market. but thats what all the manufacturers are doing in the first place. the sx and xc line are great bikes with awesome features. chromoly, ease of changing brake pads, filters, etc the list goes on and on. they def have the racer or enthusiast in mind.

as far an the efi and carb talk. carbs have been around for a long time but i wouldnt say its old technology. its a constantly evolving thing. efi is old as well but just fairly new to the atv market. i dont think right now either one is better than the other. both have pros and cons and is just a matter of preference.

631kfx400
06-08-2009, 04:41 PM
they are discontinuing the quad line at least. they have so much overstock.

400excracer
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I just got some more info from a very reliable source. KTM is stopping production of their ATVs because they have too much inventory. They are releasing a 2010 model, but it is actually a 2009 so nothing has changed. They plan on supporting their customers with parts and accessories. I would imagine that if the economy turns around and sales picks up they would keep making them. Time will tell.

ADTR14
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I really wish they would stop blowing millions racing desert races no one really cares about and give some gnc and gncc pros some rides.

If no one cares why so many multi-million dollar teams? Why so many different classes with various race organizations?

I realize you don't have any desert near you, but come on, have some respect. I guess its mostly a west coast thing, you'll probably never understand.

GE4x4
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I think he's talking atv racing for Honda. Only 6 pros entered for the 500. So you can see, not much interest.

ADTR14
06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I gotcha, but thats not my point. There are more than 6 pro racers and even if there were, that should not be a surprise with how many factors you have to take into account when racing baja. Honda is basically the only factory team for both quads and dirtbikes. Maybe its time for other manufactures to step up.

Honda likes the prestige of dominating in Baja as well as desert racing as a whole. That should not be taken away and I felt like he was degrading what those guys do. I do agree more effort should be put into other racing orginizations, but not at the expense of others.

To get this thread back on track, I hope that KTM discontinuing their ATV and some of their dirtbike line, does not effect those who currently have KTMs with parts availability ect.

ACEwrench
06-10-2009, 11:06 AM
I think he's talking atv racing for Honda. Only 6 pros entered for the 500. So you can see, not much interest.

only 6 OPEN PRO TEAMS (Class 24)

there were 15 Production Pro Teams in the 500 (Class 25)

ACEwrench
06-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by ADTR14
I gotcha, but thats not my point. There are more than 6 pro racers and even if there were, that should not be a surprise with how many factors you have to take into account when racing baja. Honda is basically the only factory team for both quads and dirtbikes. Maybe its time for other manufactures to step up.

Honda likes the prestige of dominating in Baja as well as desert racing as a whole. That should not be taken away and I felt like he was degrading what those guys do. I do agree more effort should be put into other racing orginizations, but not at the expense of others.

To get this thread back on track, I hope that KTM discontinuing their ATV and some of their dirtbike line, does not effect those who currently have KTMs with parts availability ect.

i doubt it....its a smart short term buisness move on thier part. Why produce more machines with ample machines in inventory? Parts sell everyday....and im sure they make more money on them.

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by ACEwrench
only 6 OPEN PRO TEAMS (Class 24)

there were 15 Production Pro Teams in the 500 (Class 25)

Still a very small number compared to GNCC, GNC, WORCS and many other series.

ACEwrench
06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
that is true...no doubt about it...

desert racing is a whole other ball of wax though, not better or worse, just different....i mean, who rides a quad continueously for 1000 miles, let alone 500 or 250 miles...just to finish a ride like that let alone a race is crazy. Most big sanctioned races are at leaste 100 miles....

whats your entry fee in GNCCs? in BITD (Best in the Desert) the AVERAGE $500 a race for the pro class....the 1000 mile race we are doing this year, over a $1000. im sure i dont have to explain logostics....we ran in Mexico (BITD) a few years ago and it cost us 10k logistics and im not exaggerating. to WIN (Baja 1000) your contingency is 5k (per 2009 KTM SCORE cont.), thats the Baja race...our 1000 mile (3 day) BITD race wins us $500 in contingency(KTM)....plus purse money which might get us back our entry fee.

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
That's what I mean. Desert racing is very expensive to race, so few do it. That's why I don't get why Honda puts so much support in it when very few do it. Yet they don't support crap in the series the hundreds do race.:confused:

coryatver
06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
the way I see it ATVs are just a sideshow to the Trophy Trucks and Motorcycles. I Watch Baja on NBC every year they don't even show quads at all unless they are getting passed by a Trophy Truck. And then there are the motorcycles but nobody really cares about the ATVs. Even most ATV riders do not know anything about Baja or desert racing in general or even the guys who race it but they will know who Joe Byrd or Doug Gust, Bill Ballance, Chris Borich is. I could probley ask all my riding friends and none of them would even know who Wayne Matlock is. Honda Gives pretty much 0 support to GNC and GNCC racing while they are blowing millions racing Baja where most of there customers never even come close to.

I don't really mean any disrespect I love SCORE and desert racing and I would love to even race it someday. I never been to the race but watch all the movies and follow the race online I think it is an awesome race. I am just saying I hate how Honda does not support to cross country racing or motocross racing where most of the customers that support there company are.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 06:27 PM
One guy has had issues and from Yokley race reports, suspension and arm pump seem to be the most common. Yet the rest of the guys seem to be doing fine.

Really. Look at yokely's results he has 1 top 10. Currently 17th in points. Last year he was #8 riding a Honda. The other not full factory guys are not going to hot either. I think the results speak for themselves. Yokely gets paid to ride the polaris of course he is not going to say the quad isn't working right or anything bad about it in his race reports. Remember Polaris's last Factory rider Matt Smiley "I will never go back to riding a straight axle" lol then half way through the season of horrible results on a polaris shows up on a Honda. Whatever happen to all the IRS polaris that were sopposed to set the new standard for racing anyway? Soon as they came out with a solid axle with a good motor they all didn't waste any time switching back lol

scuzz
06-10-2009, 06:28 PM
(Prepare yourself for a gross generalization.)

East Coat = GNCC or XC

West Cost = Desert Racing - its literally a lifestyle for them.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 06:39 PM
East Coat = GNCC or XC

West Cost = Desert Racing - its literally a lifestyle for them.

last gncc there was about 500 atv racers there not including youth. not counting all the local xc races that went on that weekend

gnc they get like 900 racers a weekend.

And these are like 12 race series's.

compared to baja 1000 with 6 open teams and 15 pro production teams. And that is 1 race a year.

Honda blows all that money just so they can claim to be so awesome becuase they win baja. I dont' even think they have any competition from other manufactures. That one year they actually had some competition can am(then bombardier) threw together a team and won it. And they leave all the national racers and weekend local race warriors with no support. Sorry but I could care less if Honda wins Baja show some support where it counts. And I ride a Honda 450r but I just think it is stupid how they brag up there baja wins with there stacked teams and millions in support that wouldn't even be there if it wasn't convienient becuase they are already there for the dirtbikes anyway. They won the thing on a rincon utility one year the slowest big bore utility quad you can get lol

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Really. Look at yokely's results he has 1 top 10. Currently 17th in points. Last year he was #8 riding a Honda. The other not full factory guys are not going to hot either. I think the results speak for themselves. Yokely gets paid to ride the polaris of course he is not going to say the quad isn't working right or anything bad about it in his race reports. Remember Polaris's last Factory rider Matt Smiley "I will never go back to riding a straight axle" lol then half way through the season of horrible results on a polaris shows up on a Honda. Whatever happen to all the IRS polaris that were sopposed to set the new standard for racing anyway? Soon as they came out with a solid axle they all didn't waste any time switching back lol

Many of Yokley's and Notmans mods are one off parts. There making stuff as they race. A-arms from Roll were never made untill this year. So both are basicly doing R&D as the season goes. When he raced the Honda, there were plenty of mods available and he still only made the top 10 6 times. Rice for not even racing at all last year is 12th in class with 2 top 20 and he didn't even race last rd. Joey went from sport class to Pro-Am and is running 14th in class and he's running re-built stock shocks on stock a-arms with stock stem. Not bad if you ask me. Then Josh jumped right from collage B to Pro-Am and is in 22 in class. That's a huge jump in classes. He to for awhile was running re-built shocks, but now has Evols. But all are still running stock stems. The problem with Polaris, they don't give the support like the others, and parts for it are very few compared to others.

On a side note, IRS is still a very good XC set-up. In fact if you look at the results from 07, the Polaris guys did better on the irs then the SRA in 08. But now with the 450cc limit, it's not even a option. But again, very little mods for the IRS to compete.:macho

coryatver
06-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Many of Yokley's and Notmans mods are one off parts. There making stuff as they race. A-arms from Roll were never made untill this year. So both are basicly doing R&D as the season goes. When he raced the Honda, there were plenty of mods available and he still only made the top 10 6 times. Rice for not even racing at all last year is 12th in class with 2 top 20 and he didn't even race last rd. Joey went from sport class to Pro-Am and is running 14th in class and he's running re-built stock shocks on stock a-arms with stock stem. Not bad if you ask me. Then Josh jumped right from collage B to Pro-Am and is in 22 in class. That's a huge jump in classes. He to for awhile was running re-built shocks, but now has Evols. But all are still running stock stems. The problem with Polaris, they don't give the support like the others, and parts for it are very few compared to others.

On a side note, IRS is still a very good XC set-up. In fact if you look at the results from 07, the Polaris guys did better on the irs then the SRA in 08. But now with the 450cc limit, it's not even a option. But again, very little mods for the IRS to compete.:macho

I understand that some designs on the bike are new. I am not arguing the fact they need to get it setup and get it figured out.

I am just saying they have not had good results this year! Someone argued they are and that obviously isn't true unless you can not read a race results sheet lol

So you say they are doing R&D as they go??? Who wants to pay 7,000+ to be a test rider lol sorry not me. Sounds like they should have did more testing before releasing the bike. What about guys that can't make there own parts and fabricate and what not that are interested in a bike for XC racing? I am no pro but I beat the crap out of a quad racing and riding don't have money like a pro team to rebuild it and put new parts on every race I would say the polaris is not a bike for me??

I am just trying to show you it from my point of view. I don't have a problem with polaris I actually own a polaris snowmobile I am just coming as a point of view of a xc racer and potential customer.

But it did seem like last year first year of the KTM they had no problems i think they came out with wins and podiums right from the start. The "oh its a new bike we need to set it up" is a worn out excuse. Racers even prefer first year Honda 450rs even to the newer models lol. As much as we are paying for these quads we should not have to accept the "its a first year model" bull some manufactures feed us (Polaris cough, can am cough cough) lol

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM
I wasn't talking R&D for the Outlaw, it's R&D for mods. There were none for Yokley to use from his sponsor list. So all his sponsors needed to make parts just for him. KTM did do well last year, but they had much better track side support and much better racer. You have to admit, Yokley is barly a top 10-15 racer now. He just can't keep up with all the young guns. He was 11th in 07, 8 last year, and looks to be lower this year. But I'm not going to say the Outlaw is the greatest, I know it still needs help. But from his race reports, suspension and engine heat issues seems to be the biggest culprit. I know the KTM teams run oil coolers, but don't know if Yokley has don't that yet. But with his reports on heat, I would say he has not done this mod yet.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Yokley is barly a top 10-15 racer now. He just can't keep up with all the young guns. He was 11th in 07, 8 last year, and looks to be lower this year.

wow. Yokely is a top 5 racer easy. 8 last year racing with no factory support on a new team new bike(to him). He just doesn't have a bike right now to put him there. 11th in 07 he was factory kawi. He didn't have a bike worth a dang then either.

as for the outlaw irs engine being to big that only affects the pro classes. Johnny Gallagher Sr, women racers, they could still run them if they would like. None do.

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Top 5, come on now. Ballance, Mcgill, Cook, Kiser, Borich, Bithel, Sommers, Okerman, Johnson, and Wolf. Who of these top 10 do you think Yokely is better. He was 11th in 07, got 8th last year, but was tied with Smiley, so he could of been 9th and Smiley 8th. And was only 8 points above 11th again. There is no way Yokely is a top 5 racer.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
There is no way Yokely is a top 5 racer.

On a Polaris he sure isn't.

GE4x4
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
On a Polaris he sure isn't I

You forgot Honda and Kawi to.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I

You forgot Honda and Kawi to.

He got 8th on a HONDA with 0 factory support first year on the bike! Put him back on a good bike and he would be right in the battle still but a guy has got to get paid. I hope they figure out how to make the Polaris work. Fact is NO ONE one has won on one and they got a group of talented guys! You can't tell me the rest of the team sucks too lol

ADTR14
06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
the way I see it ATVs are just a sideshow to the Trophy Trucks and Motorcycles. I Watch Baja on NBC every year they don't even show quads at all unless they are getting passed by a Trophy Truck. And then there are the motorcycles but nobody really cares about the ATVs. Even most ATV riders do not know anything about Baja or desert racing in general or even the guys who race it but they will know who Joe Byrd or Doug Gust, Bill Ballance, Chris Borich is. I could probley ask all my riding friends and none of them would even know who Wayne Matlock is. Honda Gives pretty much 0 support to GNC and GNCC racing while they are blowing millions racing Baja where most of there customers never even come close to.

I don't really mean any disrespect I love SCORE and desert racing and I would love to even race it someday. I never been to the race but watch all the movies and follow the race online I think it is an awesome race. I am just saying I hate how Honda does not support to cross country racing or motocross racing where most of the customers that support there company are.

I do agree the quads do not get the coverage they deserve, but thats how it is with so many other classes unfortunately. Most of the shows/movies just focus on the vehicles that are in the hunt for the overall (TT, class 1, bikes).

People really do care about the ATV racers. The amount of fans that come out to watch the races in absolutely huge. It really depends on where you are from as to what riding/racing you prefer. Desert racing is much bigger than you think it just does not get the coverage as other forms of racing. Entries for SCORE are less than other races. But if you follow these races in Baja or with BITD you should have an idea of what it takes. (Its not for the weekend warrior)

As for factory support, I think all the companies should get more involved in all aspects of ATV racing. Atleast step up their support to where the bikes have always been.

Lastly I will say, if you ever get the chance to go to Baja, whether to ride, race, or watch a race take it. You will not regret it and will more than likely become addicted. It is my absolute favorite place to ride.

scuzz
06-10-2009, 09:39 PM
last gncc there was about 500 atv racers there not including youth. not counting all the local xc races that went on that weekend

gnc they get like 900 racers a weekend.

And these are like 12 race series's.

compared to baja 1000 with 6 open teams and 15 pro production teams. And that is 1 race a year.

There's a lot more desert racing than just Baja....you're missing the point.

But while we're talking about Baja, it's a big deal because of all the other big names that throw tons of money into it. It's like the Lemans of racing with endurance being part of the race itself. I know you're not an idiot and I hope you don't think I'm talking to you like you're one. If you think I am, please understand that I'm not.

coryatver
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
There's a lot more desert racing than just Baja....you're missing the point.

But while we're talking about Baja, it's a big deal because of all the other big names that throw tons of money into it. It's like the Lemans of racing with endurance being part of the race itself. I know you're not an idiot and I hope you don't think I'm talking to you like you're one. If you think I am, please understand that I'm not.

I understand what your saying it is a big deal and cost lots of money. I think the point I am trying to make is like what the guy above said. It is not for weekend warriors which is what a majority of Honda customers are. I just think they should give back more to them and not blow all there race support money tooting there horn. Maybe cut back on a couple chase trucks and give Joe Byrd a Semi and some mechanics. Or how about giving Bryan Cook a factory ride. Thousands of potential customers are at gnc, gncc races every weekend. People that came to watch or be involved with ATV racing. Not people that came to watch some trophy trucks and bikes and happen to see a quad go by.

scuzz
06-11-2009, 07:17 AM
I understand what your saying it is a big deal and cost lots of money. I think the point I am trying to make is like what the guy above said. It is not for weekend warriors which is what a majority of Honda customers are.

Neither is F1.

ACEwrench
06-11-2009, 12:14 PM
well Can-Am, Kawy, Suzuki, Yamaha dont really support Desert Racing.....not like they do for GNCC or GNCs anyway.

Yamaha, Suzuki, or Kawi, dont even have any contingency for desert racing at all...so there is a balance... i understand your greef, but there is another side too.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-11-2009, 11:22 PM
The SX hasn't even been out for a year! When I talked to a guy at a KTM dealer he told me that they are made to last in some aspects such as valve adjustment. Where Honda/Yam/Suzuki the valves need adjusted 20-25 hours and the KTM is good up to 50+ hours. Which made me think they would get hurt by people not spending much past the initial purchase. I didn't think they would last forever but damn!!

kamyk
06-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
The SX hasn't even been out for a year! When I talked to a guy at a KTM dealer he told me that they are made to last in some aspects such as valve adjustment. Where Honda/Yam/Suzuki the valves need adjusted 20-25 hours and the KTM is good up to 50+ hours. Which made me think they would get hurt by people not spending much past the initial purchase. I didn't think they would last forever but damn!!

You'll be lucky if you wont have to adjust your valves every 20h or less, 50h + is exaggerating for SX, valve adjustment is same for KTM, YZF and LTR they are made for sport keeping racing in mind, valves should be checked and readjust quite often :eek2: On my XC I do it every 20h.

megacab
06-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I have talked to a number of local dealers about KTM not making a 2010 KTM ATV and the future of the KTM ATV. None think there done building ATV's. One thought they would come out with a mid year 2010 model which is the same as the 2009 once the 2009 and 2008 quads inventory are used up. I have a 525 and a 450 and am thinking about a 3rd to replace a 400ex I have. I would rather have a KTM 450 back up to ride instead of my honda. :) In 2011 I hope KTM goes to fuel injected. I would like to see a dune verison set up for sand. They could set them up with paddles so I wouldnt end up with more tires in my garage.

it will be interesting how it all plays out. My 525 with 4" extended swing added last week.

Rich

scuzz
06-15-2009, 08:46 AM
^^^^^

NICE!

hondariderdylan
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
wow
where the hell have i been

i had no idea KTM was going to can there quads:ermm:

631kfx400
06-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
wow
where the hell have i been

i had no idea KTM was going to can there quads:ermm:
i dont think that they are completely stopping it. they might start up again in 2011, because they just have so much overstock that they need to sell. there key to selling more is to not have them up for 12,000:rolleyes:

D Bergstrom
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
That's what I mean. Desert racing is very expensive to race, so few do it. That's why I don't get why Honda puts so much support in it when very few do it. Yet they don't support crap in the series the hundreds do race.:confused:

What does Honda really support ATV wise in Baja? I only know of one rider that gets any help, and if you think he gets "millions", you are way off. Honda does provide a pitting service to anyone who rides a Honda, but you have to pay for it. There are contingincy payouts, but unless you have a current or prior year quad you can not get any of it. (For BITD anyway, I never looked at SCORE, but probably the same.) Yes, Honda does support quads in desert racing, but no where near the "millions" that you stated. Honda has always been big into desert racing, and probably always will.

Besides, we all know desert racing is the best form of racing anyway! haha

Doug

GE4x4
06-17-2009, 02:51 PM
Where did I say Millions spent???:confused:

D Bergstrom
06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Where did I say Millions spent???:confused:

Sorry, I was not saying you said it, but it was a number that was thrown out early on by coryatver.

I really wish they would stop blowing millions racing desert races no one really cares about and give some gnc and gncc pros some rides.

My point is, they really do not support much in desert racing, but I guess it is more then other series.

Doug

TricityCdale
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
I understand what your saying it is a big deal and cost lots of money. I think the point I am trying to make is like what the guy above said. It is not for weekend warriors which is what a majority of Honda customers are. I just think they should give back more to them and not blow all there race support money tooting there horn. Maybe cut back on a couple chase trucks and give Joe Byrd a Semi and some mechanics. Or how about giving Bryan Cook a factory ride. Thousands of potential customers are at gnc, gncc races every weekend. People that came to watch or be involved with ATV racing. Not people that came to watch some trophy trucks and bikes and happen to see a quad go by.

You know why they don't do that? Because all of those potential buyers that are racing/watching the events will already buy a Honda. You want to know why? Because they have built a reputation of being ultra reliable. You know how they got that? By winning the Baja 1000 multiple times. They sure didn't get it from all of the busted crank bearings and cases and issues that the average Joe runs into on the MX track. Besides, the people that do break down on a Honda always find a way to justify it and still tout it as the most reliable ATV on the planet.

Honda is not stupid. Their reputation sells product, not giving money away at races. Why should they provide Joe Byrd with more support when he's going to ride a Honda anyway and win on it and give Honda free press? Why should Honda pay contingency to 1000 people when they can pay contigency to 10 and sell just as many units?

coryatver
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
i was over exagerating when i said millions but i wouldn't be surprised. They got semi's of parts, helecopters, lots and lots of chase trucks. And they pay the whole team not just the one guy and they usually have a couple teams. Not to mention all the one off parts they make for them such as last years 700xx that one they made a $7000 stock looking exhuast for it

And Honda does have good amature contingency. I just think they should have a factory pro in mx and gncc. even joe byrd isn't really a factory rider he doesn't get a semi or mechanics or anything like that he has to take care of all that unlike kawi, can am, suzuki teams.

Back to the topic. So ktm isn't making a 2010 model to clear out inventory that is just a horrible excuse. They should at least make a few 2010 models with no changes or relabel 09s or something. Even if they are coming back out with quads as they say, it just feels like they are dropping all support for quads for a year just like that. Thats not cool.

I seriously will be surprised to see them make quads again. I think the "getting rid of inventory" excuse is just a way to encourage people to keep buying there discontinued quads

deathman53
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
ktm is doing the same with their 200's also, tons, tons and more tons of inventory and unsold bikes. No 250 4 stroke, unless you buy the limited edition. Dealers still have 07 and 08's around and 09 is coming to a close. They want to reduce stuff for the next year line. Word is that 2011 for ktm with the dirtbikes and quads is gonna make anything earlier seem like its from the stone age.

sparks 450
06-18-2009, 08:31 PM
I have not had one single problem with my 2004 trx. How is that for reliability.

vAnS_77
06-27-2009, 08:10 AM
When you get a new ATV it doesn't have to be a current year model. Why pay msrp for the brand spankin new model that you don't even know it runs yet :D Get a year or 2 older when you buy a quad. Not a used one, just one that is a 2008 but new. I'm looking at a ktm through a dealer for 7300 brand new 2008 525 xc. That is the same price as a brand new honda.

SEBZX79
06-29-2009, 04:56 PM
7300 seems high go on ebay you can pick a new one up for 6k.

Definitly a great buy...

megacab
06-29-2009, 05:53 PM
6114.50 at Motorsports in Hillsboro Oregon out the door. I bought 2.

Rich

SEBZX79
06-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by megacab

Rich

How can you beat this deal??? I Bought my in Jan for 7100 OTD which was best I could find then now its even better. I am going to keep my to Jan or so and then try out the ds450xc just to compare.

Congrats on the purchase.

QuadJunkies
07-03-2009, 11:20 AM
I can get one for 6800.00 OTD , but would really like to find a 505,but were sold out everywhere in my state .:(
I wonder how tough its going to be to find dealers with a selection if they put a hold on sales ??
Were seriosuly thinining of buying a new quad and the KTM seemed to be the best bang for our application.

ATVVogt
07-04-2009, 02:35 PM
They aren't sold out, you just need to have your dealer order one.

QuadJunkies
07-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by ATVVogt
They aren't sold out, you just need to have your dealer order one.
I was referring to if they dont want overstock at KTM direct and they quit producing them for a year they will be alot tougher to get.

trx450RacR#413
07-08-2009, 05:10 PM
I have a 450 all set up on eBay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GNCC-Ready-KTM-450xc-450r-trx450r-ltr-yfz-450_W0QQitemZ140331398427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZATVs?h ash=item20ac67351b&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A317#ht_500wt_111 0

powertechn2
07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by megacab

Rich

damn. thats a good price, i wonder how much gas i would use getting there and back lol... :D

on the subject of honda and reliability/reputation, look at their generators, they are said to be the best generators out there, they tote the highest price... you can buy 2-3 "price point" generators for the price of a honda, but people still buy honda's over the others. now, most generators sit around for years then dont run anyways, at least untill the power outage happens. some generators only see 50 hours of use in 10 years, some even less... those people coulda gotten away with a cheapie... but honda will remain dominant in that market, even though their gennies are even being made in china next to the cheapies lol.