PDA

View Full Version : Falling in love.. with excavating!

MX MaNiAc 06
06-04-2009, 09:01 PM
I have my own MX track and I work on it all the time with my dad's tractor (New Holland TC45). At first I would make a new jump about once a month and dread having to maintence the jump. But lately I've been enjoying making the jumps with the tractor even more than riding the track!

Anyone else have this problem?

Me and my dad are in the midst of a project digging out a pond and I get all the dirt for my track. People ask "what's the point of the pond?" Me and my dad just enjoy random projects and playing on the tractor. haha The track is going well and should be done by July. The layout is unlike any other. I'll have pics and videos soon enough.

250x_kyle
06-04-2009, 09:53 PM
we got a dozer that looked like it should never run again (sat for 20 some years) in its life running and built a track with it. its alot of fun; however, it can be kind of nerve wrecking when you are doing it for a living and have alot more things to think about while doing it. my dads side of the family has been in heavy equipment operation forever.

SRH
06-04-2009, 10:06 PM
im the same way i love operating equipment, mainly backhoes

a bit off topic but how is your buddy doing that got paralyzed?

06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
it can be really fun to design and build something. i would have to try it after though to see if what I did was any good.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-04-2009, 10:33 PM
We have a backhoe attachment and I love it!

Oh I meant to reply to that. I went to see Danny last week! He is doing very well and only getting better. I told his mom I was going to see him but not to tell him I was coming. I walked in the room and he looked depressed/pissed off and then looked over to me and there was a huge smile on his face. After only hearing about all the pain and agony he has went through it felt so good to see a smile on his face. He is now able to talk but he can't talk too much. I got there and he talked to me for a good 45 minutes straight about riding, who has came to see him and what he has missed in the past few months. One of the first things he asked is "how's the bike running?" I figured he wouldn't want to talk about MX so I wasn't going to bring it up but he was all about it. I told him the bikes running great but I'm selling it soon. He gave me a dirty look and asked if i was getting another one. I was like of course and he had a smile on his face. He asked about my track because him and me used to be so competitive. I couldn't let anyone out-do me at my own place but from time to time he would get me. I told him about my new jumps and he said that he can't wait to come and watch me ride. After all the talking he got worn out and slept for a few hours. I hung around for six hours to make up for the time I had not been up to visit. I talked with his dad and he told me about the accident and everything they have gone through in the hospitals. I guess there was a few close calls where he barely made it. But he's in Atlanta, Georgia right now because they have the best rehab center in the country. I asked his dad if he comes home after rehab. He replied "Hopefully he gets a lot of mobility back in rehab. Yes, he will be coming home. But not for very long. I'm sending him to Germany for stem cell research. I dont give a sh*t what it takes of how much it costs but i refuse to see my kid sit in a wheelchair the rest of his life."

Oh, and when a couple people showed up later he would talk but nothing would come out because he talked to me so much. haha I said sorry I stole Danny's voice for the day.

SRH
06-04-2009, 10:53 PM
thats good to hear , as long as he keeps his spirits up he'll handle it fine, i know a few guys with higher up injuries like his and they have recovered enough to push there own manual chairs and stuff and live pretty decent lives independently.... it will be easy for him now but as time goes on people tend to stop showing up....so just keep that in mind make it a point to go and see him maybe some of your buddies too....nothing worse than lying around all that time knowing all of your buddies are going on with there lives and stuff and your laying in a bed staring at the ceiling

i dont know if you guys know who jimmy button is...he was a mx guy ...broke his neck, after a bout a year he was walking again, very rare but whose to say your buddy wont be back on his feet

im not up on the stem cell research but i think its within 14 days of injury too....i tortured the surgeons, doctors and therapists about stem cell and all that and basically they told me its very expensive for any form of treate ment or expiriment ...nothing is guranteed and usually what you gain isnt useful enough to outweigh the cost, but i got my fingers crossed they start making strides with this stuff, i mean id like to go jogging some day haha

his dad shouldnt take it so hard, about the wheelchair thing. granted no one wants to see there kid in a chair, but it made me feel like crap when my family wold say i dont want to see u lve life in a chair, i know it was only because they cared, but i had a completely different understanding of things than they did and it made me feel like crap...its hard to accept it but maybe you should show his dad some things to make him not so down about it if hes not back walking.... www.rickyjames824.com www.ranelcox10.com those 2 guys stories pulled me out of my slump and made me realize life was fine sitting or standing...happiness is truly a state of mind, walking has no bearing on whether you can enjoy yourself or not , everyone is different but avoiding the anti depressents and getting off the pain killers was key to me getting back on track mentally

Robin Hood
06-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Been excavating with my pops since I can remember. Yesterday I was running a Daewoo 220. Not too big but it definitely gets the job done. Just being able to move that much dirt in one scoop brings a smile to my face.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-05-2009, 01:07 AM
My friend's dad used to race and landed on Jimmy Button years ago. Those two guys' stories are inspirating and I'll be sure to tell my buddy about those sites. His dad is taking this rough. He only talks to his friends that he likes which aren't many. He refuses to talk to a lot of people. His dad was always rough on him. Pushing too hard and I think he finally realized it was wrong of him.

Excavating is fun work. I would like to have it as a side job in the future. I would really enjoy building tracks if anyone wanted to pay me for it. I would not charge much as long as they let me ride the track with them!

scuzz
06-05-2009, 07:33 AM
When I was a kid I could just sit for hours and watch excavators and earth movers work. Now that I'm older I would love to try and do some stuff like that. Building a track or a pond is an excellent example as well.

You should take some pictures!

LTRracer4
06-05-2009, 08:48 AM
me and a buddy are building a full length national style track on his property. pro section and the works. my possition is dozer, or skid loader operator. I love it. Its up there with riding on the track. I really like to watch people ride on the things i built. i take alot of pride in it. this is my third track ive done. Ive always used a bobcat T300, but on this project i havent had the reasource much. just been in a cat D5 dozer. im rackin up the hours and im starting to really get the hang of it. im a kid that dreams about motocross tracks. and i have the resources to bring them to fruision. what could be better?

quad2xtreme
06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Let me know if you need these tracks certified. The fee for certification is relatively cheap. Just 50 cents a mile from Raleigh to your track and at least 2 nights at the closest motel. I will test ride for a solid 2 days, provide feedback, and give you an official certificate. :p

TAZ450r
06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
i love excavating, my dad has an old dirtloader, a brand new tractor and we are probebly going to buy an excavator soon...my friend has a brand new dirtloader and excavator... we arent using any of them for work just have them for fun. I can use al the machins as much as i want, the only problem is that i dosn't have some land to build on...

madskrillz2
06-05-2009, 11:44 AM
I know I'd probably have as much fun building a track as riding it if I had the equipment for it.

hondaking52
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
ya it is pretty fun, being in the dirt biz my whole life helps, we got a few skidsteers, excavators, loaders, lots of fun building tracks or just pilling dirt...lol

one of these helps to....:)
http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/hondaking52/2006_JOHN_DEERE_850J_LGP_CRAWLER_TR.jpg

MX MaNiAc 06
06-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Wow, that is MASSIVE. I will get some pics soon. As of now there are only two people I let ride at my track just because the jumps are kind of dangerous.. haha You can't roll them. People tell me "hey you should make the jumps so I can ride over them." I say "well, I didn't build the track for you!!"

I just spent 4-5 hours moving dirt out of the pond. My buddy's coming tomorrow with a dump truck so I can transport it down to the track. I have been taking trips one bucket at a time. Doesn't go very fast when I'm moving the dirt 300-350 yards.

hardkoratvmxr
06-06-2009, 08:01 PM
i run a john deere 444H at work for a living and it gets old fast. but i love running equipment when it is for something i love doing like building tracks. we build a 1.4 mile track in about 2 weekends with 2 skid steers, a backhoe, and a small bulldozer. it was the most fun in my life

MX MaNiAc 06
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I'd imagine if I was doing it for work I would not get much satisfaction because I don't get to enjoy it later haha They let you use the work stuff to build your own track?

hardkoratvmxr
06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
one skid steer came from work and the rest came from my work connections for free. and i dont build tracks for a living if you misunderstood sorry

SRH
06-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
My friend's dad used to race and landed on Jimmy Button years ago. Those two guys' stories are inspirating and I'll be sure to tell my buddy about those sites. His dad is taking this rough. He only talks to his friends that he likes which aren't many. He refuses to talk to a lot of people. His dad was always rough on him. Pushing too hard and I think he finally realized it was wrong of him.

Excavating is fun work. I would like to have it as a side job in the future. I would really enjoy building tracks if anyone wanted to pay me for it. I would not charge much as long as they let me ride the track with them!

thats a rough situation to be in as a parent, and a tough lesson to learn, but if it was what he learned to do he cant blame himself too much....however i hope he doesnt blindly go into this and give false hope to your buddy or become insensitive to how hes feeling right now, i dont want to hijack your thread but keep me posted on how hes doing, i wish him the best

MX MaNiAc 06
06-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by SRH
thats a rough situation to be in as a parent, and a tough lesson to learn, but if it was what he learned to do he cant blame himself too much....however i hope he doesnt blindly go into this and give false hope to your buddy or become insensitive to how hes feeling right now, i dont want to hijack your thread but keep me posted on how hes doing, i wish him the best

That's true. I'm not sure if he knows about Germany. I will keep you posted. I won't see him til July but I will visit his dad and they will keep me posted. His mom is staying with him in Georgia.

mrusk
06-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Get one of these. Whats funny is I got this 3 years after I sold my 250r so I have no reason to build a track.

MX MaNiAc 06
06-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Forget a track man that thing's a money maker! Looks like that's exactly what you're using it for in the picture. :cool:

Just got done hauling 18-20 dump truck loads down the the track. Tomorrow.. I focus on the track and not the pond.

procircuit406ex
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Not another feeling like it :)

Family business....

www.randrexcavating.com

MX MaNiAc 06
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by procircuit406ex
Not another feeling like it :)

Family business....

www.randrexcavating.com

Nice man!

Track is finished by the way!! Well.. I still plan to make changes but when is a rider actually satisfied with his track? Someone give me money and help me buy a ktm so I can ride my track. :devil: