PDA

View Full Version : Converting dirtbike to diesel

John451
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Hey, I'm lookin to convert a bike to run on diesel.. Would a 2 stroke or 4 stroke be a better candidate for it? I converted one of my bikes to run on methanol, holy $@*$#) that thing ripped the fuel actually burned as opposed to explode. But yeah, for that I raised the compression and redid the carb but you cant get methanol any more, plus i had to drain the tank every time i put it away. But yeah, what would I need to do to run on diesel? Would it even work with the spark plug??

BakerRacing40
06-04-2009, 10:58 PM
not going to work my friend.. diesel engines fire off of compression no spark. the flash point is way to high.. when diesel does ignite the energy produced would probably blow something into pieces..

if you have the money and really want to do it though... not including beefing up engine so it doesn't blow apart..
this is the way i could see it done maybe_ you'd need to have a piston custom machined to have a mexician hat style piston- swirl keeps ignited fuel from touching cylinder walls and top/bottom of combustion chamber.
figure the fuel rate needed and get an injector from a electronic unit injection engine. machine head to put injector where spark plug was.
take carb away and run straight piping to your air filter.
need cam and crank position sensor and put on engine- would have to put a "chopper" wheel on cam and crank for the digital type sensor to work.
have to have pressurized fuel supply- unit injector systems on today's trucks end up in the neighborhood of 25000 to 30000 psi
you'd have to build an ecm to control every thing , you need oil pressure sensor, cam and crank position sensors, intake and exhaust gas temp sensors, fuel pressure sensor, all your fluid temp sensors, etc
larger radiator..
bigger water pump..
oil pump bigger..

lots of stuff you have to get to accomplish this. the above doesn't cover it all either. and mechanical injection you cut out some electronics but having a pump built for the timing and specs would be outrageous too. you'd be adding so much weight it'd be insane to build. but any thing is possible and there are ways i'm sure but i'd say its not worth it at all...

John451
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
haha sounds like i can save some money and just buy the diesel kawasaki 650 lol.. Too bad they never released them to the public, only to iraq lol.

crq250r
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I did once see in a military magazine that they had a old restored 2 stroke diesel powered motorcycle. Might be able to do some research on that.

John451
06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
That's wierd how they have 2 and 4 stroke diesel as well as gas.. What do you think would happen if i just put diesel in my bike as is? It would problably just run like crap the sieze up.

TN_cowboy
06-13-2009, 04:53 AM
why dont you get the JD gator motor or a polaris ranger motor thy come desiel and mogas? seems to me like that would be the easiest.

John451
06-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Idk, I like to be original and do stupid thing to bikes that makes them awesome in their own way. I had a dirtbike that i made into an offroad chopper. It was nasty but i couldnt race or jump it so i sold it.