PDA

View Full Version : new 400ex questions

scdirtdobber
06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi,I'm glad to have found this site!! I guess for starters I have been riding atv's for about 14 years and work on most of the locals when they tear up all which are utility models.I purchaced a new 07 400ex from a local dealer 3 weeks ago.I rode it about 30 minutes the first day and noticed some light puffs of smoke when it got up to temp,I figured it was exhaust packing if they have any,the second day I rode it for about 2 hours and same deal when it gets hot I get light puffs of smoke.I called the dealer and he said it was possibly the new burning out the pipe or it is jetted rich which I doubt.Well here it is over 2 weeks later and 12 hours on the bike and it still puffs,more so if it's in neutral and when it's revved it a bit,I cannot tell the color or tell if it's fuel or oil nor distinguish the smell,the tip of the pipe is super clean so it's not rich.I changed the oil early at 10hrs with GN4 hoping it was the factory oil breaking dow but it's not.After about the 6th hour I noticed alot more engine noise when it's hot but not the valves,is the 400 engines generally noisy compared to Honda's utility atv's.I plan on checking the valves next week,is there anything special on one of the valves that has to be done different seeing it has a internal decompression lever,I'm thiking on the right exhaust valve,I've adjusted alot of Honda valves but not on this model,usually Foremans,rincons ect.

JOHNNYRENO
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
we have 2 07s 400ex and no thats not normal.

scdirtdobber
06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I kinda figured,It has a warranty so the first of the week I'm going to take it back to the dealer because I tend to probe around till I find the problem

jcs003
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
may be a rich pilot jet if it is only at idle. just a thought.

scdirtdobber
06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Actually,my wife noticed it while I was riding it especially between shifts,at idle it's fine just during revs and only does it when I ride it for over 20 minutes or so,if I let it cool for 5 minutes and fire it back up and rev it there is no smoke,only when it's hot but it does not do it all the time,which is going to be tough trying to show the dealer what it's doing

JOHNNYRENO
06-04-2009, 03:11 PM
ARE THEY BOTH DOING IT OR ONE. IF ONE IT SOUNDS LIKE A RING ISSUE

scdirtdobber
06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I only have one,I called my dealer a few minutes ago and he said to bring it in,he was concerned with the excessive bottom end noise more so than the smoke issue.I'm not sure what they will have to do to it.Just hope I don't get hassled by the dealer,I have not rode it hard nor topped it out yet,it's still in showroom condition

JOHNNYRENO
06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
YOU WONT THEY WILL BE HAPPY TO HELP