PDA

View Full Version : chain and or sproket problems

justen08
06-04-2009, 10:05 AM
I dont know why my bike does it but everytime it gets a lil slack in the chain and i go through water it pops off and rips my cv boot.This is the second time im gonna have to change it :mad:.Its easy to change but its 70 bucks a boot, and i dont wanna go somewhere for 10 min. then turn around and go home cause the boot got ripped.I put new sprokets on it i dunno if it could be the chain and everything looks alighned.Any help would be appreciated.

sleddog66
06-05-2009, 04:33 AM
I have seen some concerns about which side of the frt sprocket that the spacer washer is. This would affect the alignment. Which side is yours? Also, are you running about a 1/2 inch of slack. The IRS runs much tighter that a straight axle.

justen08
06-05-2009, 06:55 AM
Yea thx i was looking at some schematics of it and im gonna check that spacer.I didnt happen to check it that day but i try to run bout 1/4 inch in the chain and it will be ok but any looser it will slip off,and by eye balling the chain before i took it off the front sprocket actually sits in a lil more than the rear and that might be the problem.If so i was woundering if i could put another spacer in be hind the sprocket or a flat washer or something.Thanks for the reply.

Justen

justen08
06-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Yea sleddog i checked the spacer this morning and the sleeve was toward the sproket. Thanks

Justen

Flynbryan19
06-05-2009, 08:15 AM
Also, if you have brand new sprockets with an old worn out chain it will jump easily and wear out your new sprockets VERY quickly. Chain and sprockets should be replaced as a package.

justen08
06-05-2009, 08:21 AM
yea they were all bought togeather .Although i really want to go back to stock sprokets the fella i got the bike geared the bike down and got a diff. chain and he said it would still slip off.Everything runs great if it wasnt for that chain slipping off.Thanks

Justen

sparks1032
06-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Cannot offer any advice about the chain thing except I have the stock set up and I have not lost the chain yet! So the recommendation would be try going back to the stock set up!

justen08
06-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Yea thats what i really want to do.I want to find a rear sprocket thats a lil cheaper than 60-70 bucks.I have benn lookin for a rear sprocket but cant find any the front is only like 20 bucks.

sparks1032
06-06-2009, 11:43 PM
Just make sure whoever you get the rear sprocket from there was a recall on the bolts that held it on. The new ones are the fold over locking type because they had a problem of coming loose! I am sure you can find these almost anywhere just make sure you install them becuase as you know the CV boots aint cheap!

fasterblaster02
06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I have been having problems with my chain and sprockets now. One of my bolts came out and the retaining tab came out and into the chain and the dealer fixed it with new locking tabs and a new sprocket. The next ride i took it out (it was actually during a harescramble race) my chain came off and ruined the cv boot and rear sprocket. I took it home and looked at it myself, put it up on a jackstand, put it in 1st gear, and let it idle along and i looked at the chain (it was making a clunking noise) as it went around and i discovered about a 5 inch piece of chain was "bent" and it made a clunk as it came off the sprocket. Now i am getting all new sprockets and chain and i hope that will end my problems.

justen08
06-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Ill have to do that fasterblater thx.

Justen