PDA

View Full Version : Engine swap question.

mittman
06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a 85 dodge power ram which is my project truck and right now it has a 74 ramcharger 318 in it with 180,000miles. I know for a fact this motor has been drivin hard. I found a 96 dodge ram v10 engine for sale and actually he lives about 2 blocks from me so I know it wasnt beat and had oil changes every 3,000 miles it has around 115,000 miles on it and he wants 450 for engine and tranny said it ran good before truck was wrecked and I saw what happened to truck and it was only totaled do to it was on its roof. Do you guys think it would be worth it to make motor mounts and tranny mounts and all I would really need is a computer which I think he still has and the right drive shaft. Or should I get a 360 from the same year of truck or newer and just do that since the 360 motor mounts are they same but then I would have to find a 360 cause I dont want to spend anything over 500 for a motor. I was just thinking if I got that v10 it has potential to be a sweet build motor.

scuzz
06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
The v-10 doesn't sound like a bad idea at first, but then you would have to still get the computer and engine harness which would probably cost you more than the engine itself. After all that you have (or I would worry about) the possibility of wiring issues and o2 sensors and whatnot.

I would rebuild or buy another 360.

mittman
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
I asked him and he said everything is in truck execpt for axles which he put in his other ram. I know a 360 would be easier and im kinda leaning that way but I just like the fact that if I do ever want to buld the engine I got a 8.0 v10 to work with. As far as wiring I did a 78 cj5 from back to front. They are a little simplier but it doesnt scare me.

scuzz
06-04-2009, 09:30 AM
But with a 78 CJ, you won't have dual o2 sensors and hundred of other things to throw a check engine light. I know they have the "HEMI" swaps for jeeps, so chances are the "HEMI" swap might be close to what a v-10 swap might be.

Here, I found a thread for you covering *just* that:

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram/197590-v10-swap-anyone.html

fastredrider44
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
The 360 will be a MUCH easier swap, and has A LOT more potential than a 318.

mittman
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Well I was thinking I can get parts from the truck and I can get really anything I need. I know the guy and he will prob let the parts go for pretty cheap. Im not sure on it yet but Ill have to see what some things are going for on the net incase I need some things.