PDA

View Full Version : Found a crack in the frame.....

jkiserracing
06-03-2009, 09:21 PM
So Ive been waiting on this day.....and here it is......my 450r is an 04. Im a little torn on what to do. My motor just (and I mean just) got a new 13.5-1 piston, new cam, muti angle valve job etc etc.....The quad itself is in great shape. Its fully loaded mx'er. Im starting to be concerned that I may continue to put more and more money into it just on its age alone.(all though we all constantly do that) So what im trying to decide is.....find a good used frame (which I did...... 05 with no hrs on it) and keep on keepin on....or try to get it welded and wait for the next crack.......sell it/part it and go for a newer model........not sure what to do.

coryatver
06-03-2009, 09:28 PM
a crack is not a big deal. Get it sand blasted and checked for other cracks, weld them all up, gusset it, and powercoat and it will be good to go

jkiserracing
06-03-2009, 10:18 PM
I think that too....im just wondering about it being a 5 yr old frame now.....

kawabunga
06-04-2009, 10:52 AM
Mine's an 04, found a crack a little over a year ago. Blasted, mended, gusseted, powder coated and had the motor rebuilt. Been riding it for over a year since the whole rebuild with no problems. It's like a brand new wheeler.

Scro
06-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Like they said one crack is no big deal. It's bound to happen, even to occasional trail riders. Get it welded, and hammer down.

Now I have known people that have welded and beat on their frame so much, that they would have to weld and add gussets after every race. I think you can only do so much welding before the overall structural integrity starts to diminish. That's the only way I would think about getting a new frame.

D Bergstrom
06-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
I think that too....im just wondering about it being a 5 yr old frame now.....

Nothing to worry about. I started racing my 2004 TRX in 2005. Before the first race, I tore it down, added a gusset kit, and had it powder coated. I have over 4,000 desert race miles on it, and just this last month I found two small cracks. Plan on having them fixed and then go race the next race!

Doug

elementryder
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
mines an 08 andit broke threw the frame completly because we didnt see the cracks but we jst keep welding it up, also broke almost completly around near the front shock mount

jkiserracing
06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey thanks for the feeback guys......I probably did overreact at first. So I think at this point ill keep an eye on it because its very very small (at this point its hard to tell if its crack in the paint or frame itself) im sure it will just get worse I just dont know how long it wil take....anyway its actually right under the seat just before the frame bends behind the motor so maybe it will be somewhat easy to get too until I can tear it all apart for the gussett kit and powder coat....which will be a while.

born2ride14
06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by elementryder
mines an 08 andit broke threw the frame completly because we didnt see the cracks but we jst keep welding it up, also broke almost completly around near the front shock mount

Ya well you have an exuse, you are FAST

AbnMP13
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Send that sucker to Pappy! He'll fix ya right up and make it purty too! :D

NAZ450r
06-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by jkiserracing
Hey thanks for the feeback guys......I probably did overreact at first. So I think at this point ill keep an eye on it because its very very small (at this point its hard to tell if its crack in the paint or frame itself) im sure it will just get worse I just dont know how long it wil take....anyway its actually right under the seat just before the frame bends behind the motor so maybe it will be somewhat easy to get too until I can tear it all apart for the gussett kit and powder coat....which will be a while.
Id go ahead and get it fixed my buddy had the same thing happen and he thought it was just a little crack and next thing he knew his frame was almost in half

Rich250RRacer
06-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Want to know what's a real kick in the nuts? I had my '04 powdered and gussetted late last winter ('08), and just about a month ago I found both top frame tubes nearly broken in half.

coryatver
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
some gusset kits come with top frame tube reinforcements.