PDA

View Full Version : new to the yfz

markvette
06-03-2009, 08:22 PM
my son has raced a ex/yz426 hybrid for a year now. i know the yamaha engines pretty good since i do all my own engine work. i am picking up a 05 yfz tomorrow for him to race so i have a few questions. buying this quad from a friend and he was a yamaha mechanic and has taken care of the quad. it is an 05 but he just rebuilt the motor with all 08 parts so it is a true 450 now. it has plus 2 arms, elka front shocks, exhaust, axle and bike cam. i want to add a few things, first will be a stem and stabilizer. also what bend bars do you guys use. also on the swinger do you use stock length or extended. thats all i can think of right now,

Mark

Franklin999
06-04-2009, 07:19 PM
cr high bend on the bars for me and the stock length swing arm should be fine would not go any farther than a plus one on the swing arm..

JR3
06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Franklin999
cr high bend on the bars for me and the stock length swing arm should be fine would not go any farther than a plus one on the swing arm..

yea but the best thing about a aftermarket swing arm is ease of adjusting the chain.

Franklin999
06-04-2009, 08:47 PM
that is true but spending $800 more dollars just so its easier adjust the chain is a little crazy if you ask me.

BakerRacing40
06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
depend on his height.. i'm a lil over 6'2" and i finally upgraded to a +2" stem and running tag metals t-2 bars. feels pretty good cruising around the house here.. true test Saturday Night at the races..
and swinger i like my -2"... lol but i don't think you wantin flat track stuff... but trails and mx stuff i'd look for a used 06 and up stocker.

heartattack01
06-07-2009, 12:38 PM
In my opinion I'd see about finding a complete 06 and up swingarm, carrier and all. It's a tougher design and you also get the much easier chain adjustment setup on top of it. You should be able to find quite a few on this forum and I talked to a couple Yamaha riders like Pat Brown and Kory Ellis. They both preffered the stock swingarms after the 06 redesign. They're tough as nails and offer an awesome balance.

markvette
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
thanks for all the reply's. he practiced on it last night for the first time. got another question, previous owner worked for a yamaha dealership. put the gytr a-arms on the quad and thought they were plus 2. i measured the front and it is just a little over 46" wide. what kind of width are you guys getting out of plus 2's. also it has itp 2, 3 offset rims on the front, 3 to the inside and 2 to the outside.

Mark

BakerRacing40
06-07-2009, 07:01 PM
with my +2's and 3 2 wheels i'm at 49 3/4". sound like you have a stock width set of arms.

markvette
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
i done a search on the gytr arms and they are only plus 1. guess i will be looking for a set of plus 2's.

Mark