PDA

View Full Version : Quad ABS??

John451
06-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Does anyone think that they'll ever put ABS on quads? If so when? Im thinkin it will come around between 2013 and 2015. Think its more likely to show up on sport quads or utility?

honda400ex2003
06-06-2009, 09:04 PM
utility first if they will do it. i dont think they will cause it would not do much good on dirt. it does work great on the pavement though. that may have to be a good mech. engineering thing i can design for my senior project. steve

John451
06-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that's what i fiigured with the utillity first.. It would be good on little quads and bikes for beginners but i never had that haha. I hope they never put it in sport quads though because that's just not right, you needa be able to swing the rearend into a corner and it might freak out while pitching it foward in the air, or even jumping at all. lol

honda400ex2003
06-06-2009, 09:30 PM
it would definately not make the machine pitch as fast as they do now since the wheels would keep spinning instead of stopping. it would change the momentum of the wheel just not as fast and as much. steve

RIDETHEREJK
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I have a BMW R 1150 GS Adventure with ABS. In the rain on pavement they work great. But, if you don't turn them off on gravel or dirt and you try to stop, you'll find out real quick that you have NO BRAKES! ABS, brakes lock, then release. On loose dirt, sand, gravel, ect.., you'll never stop. I don't see them even trying to come up with the idea any time soon.

honda400ex2003
06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
agreed^^^^ it would be fun to try to make though just for kicks. lol, steve

John451
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I mean, that's what they were originally aiming for on the brake rotors that aree wavy or non circular, they did it so they would grab, then not grab so hard and repeat. I still haven't had the chance to try those but there's one rotor that has pucks so it's wider in some sections than others..

deathman53
06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a problem with seeing it on atv's at all. Locking the rear can pitch it into turns quickly for sport atv's and its just too complicated for dirt use. The simplest that a off-road vehicle is, the better. You don't want to be mudding or so, somehow damage the sensor and then it tells that you are trying to stop and it "chatters" and can/will leave you with a vehicle that can't move very good. Riders should know that the rear brakes don't stop you anyway, a combination of front and rear is the most effective and you let off the brakes to reduce skidding. On the road, ABS is great, you don't have control of front/rear seperately and skidding in the rain/snow/ice can be really bad.

Same thing goes for quads that need a fully charged battery or even a battery at all to run. These EFI quads almost all need a fully charged battery to run, what happens if your battery goes bad, terminals get damaged, relay/solenoid doesn't work right. You are stuck and can't be pull started. I was at a place last weekend, there was a polaris with a bad battery, several offered to pull start him, he said it won't run without the battery connected and the terminals/wires were damaged. He was stuck until he got pulled back to his truck. With a pull start-able quad, a pull start and he'd be on his way. The simple days, were you had a kicker, carb and simple electronics need to return. My kick start atv's never left me stranded, always got them started and got me home.

RATPACK Z400
06-14-2009, 08:56 AM
abs wont work on dirt I used to test abs on cadillacs when they came in and in dirt lot they were,nt as good than on pavement , about batterys I have small set of jumper cables for any problems on trails only needed to jump once in all 8yrs of riding never had battery problems,you always have a jump when riding with a group if you have jumpers .by dirtbike days over no more kick for me!

John451
06-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, that's what i figured... i think that the brakes with the wierd pucks are good for the front though because it basically pumps the brake giviing it the abs feel but it's not electrical so it can't really fail.

honda400ex2003
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
good info guys i did not think they would work but something may someday to make it stop better. Knock on wood that i have not had any issues with my starters or any other starters on any machine in our group. If the maintainance is done prior there should not be a problem unless you get an unexpected like a stick or something break on the trail. steve