PDA

View Full Version : ESR Pipe-Hows Your Chrome?

250r__Ice
06-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I got a ESR TRX-9 pipe. I have a ESR 330 kit, 38 air strike, cr rad valve, cr ignition, k&n with no lid, 48 pilot, 180 main, and needle on the middle clip, about 180 compression, runninng 50/50 racegas. Im about 1600 elevation. My bike runs great and has no issues. Its like a Screamin Demon. The problem is, or maybe more of a complaint, is the finish on my pipe SUCKS . The chrome does not have that shiny finish (out of the box) like other pipes ive had (Duncan, Toomey, LRD). Its like the Chrome on the pipe is smokey looking, and now it seems like its turning a blueish color. The stinger tube on the silencer turned dark blue the first time out.
Ive only had it since Christmas and not many rides on it. The chrome is flaking off at the weld where the ESR tag is riveted on the pipe, and it also seeps oil out the rivets. The performance of the pipe is excellent, but the finish sucks. Any body else have a sucky finish on their ESR PIPE. Just wondering if its just me or others also. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks All

1promodfan
06-03-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by 250r__Ice
I got a ESR TRX-9 pipe. I have a ESR 330 kit, 38 air strike, cr rad valve, cr ignition, k&n with no lid, 48 pilot, 180 main, and needle on the middle clip, about 180 compression, runninng 50/50 racegas. Im about 1600 elevation. My bike runs great and has no issues. Its like a Screamin Demon. The problem is, or maybe more of a complaint, is the finish on my pipe SUCKS . The chrome does not have that shiny finish (out of the box) like other pipes ive had (Duncan, Toomey, LRD). Its like the Chrome on the pipe is smokey looking, and now it seems like its turning a blueish color. The stinger tube on the silencer turned dark blue the first time out.
Ive only had it since Christmas and not many rides on it. The chrome is flaking off at the weld where the ESR tag is riveted on the pipe, and it also seeps oil out the rivets. The performance of the pipe is excellent, but the finish sucks. Any body else have a sucky finish on their ESR PIPE. Just wondering if its just me or others also. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks All

I bought an ESR TRX-9 pipe as well, and I thought the same thing when I took it out of the box. I really think the finish is more nickel than chrome. The pipe really does clean up nice with soem turtle wax brand chrome/aluminum cleaner. My pipe turned blue as well, but with the power-ball and the polish I mentioned before it came off. My pipe/silencer did the samething yours did.....right down to every detail.

I agree with you, the pipe performs awesome, I mean it hits really hard. Like I said before, I think its more nickel. I just wash mine after every ride, and polish every 2 or 3 rides.

250r__Ice
06-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I got a power ball, ill have to try it. Like you I try to keep mine clean an polished also. The finish may be nickel. It has that color similar to a FMF. If the finish was as good as the performance it would be
Fricken A. The thing will rip your arms out of the sockets. Just wish they could do better on the chrome. The LRD pipe I have
is about 8 or 9 years old and it looks better than the ESR.

Dave83
06-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Mine is a nightmare to keep the rust out of the welds on.Performs as good as the Sparks it replaced,just not as good of a finish as the old Sparks.

cdrookie
06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
if any exhaust had better chrome they'd cost another $200.

250r morphidite
06-04-2009, 08:20 AM
i have talked with tom at esr about this there pipes are nickle plated so if you polish them out of the box he said they stay that way for some time he said there for perfomance not really made for the show LOL!!!!!!

jcs003
06-04-2009, 02:27 PM
mine is gone too. a guy on here told me about a coating company."jet-hot" and they coated me $85 for a sterling exhaust coating. supposed to have the look of chrome and the performance from a ceramic coating.

250r__Ice
06-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by 250r morphidite
i have talked with tom at esr about this there pipes are nickle plated so if you polish them out of the box he said they stay that way for some time he said there for perfomance not really made for the show LOL!!!!!!

I polished mine out of the box but it is still turning. In some of there fliers or pamphlets they send when you buy stuff it says that their pipes are chrome plated, or the one I have thats what it says. I just assumed that they where all chrome plated. Not ditching ESR, I think they have good stuff and they are always very nice when you call them. I have talked to Tom several times and he always answers all my questions. At least now I know its just not me. I guess the bottom line is SACRIFICE ALL FOR POWER.

1promodfan
06-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Mine still turns too. It get blue quite a bit, but with the powerball I can get it all off. The bad thing is, you have to do it every time it turns color. But on the bright side......this thing really rips!!!

Dave83
06-04-2009, 09:20 PM
I looked mine over today and found several spots that are peeling on it.I called ESR and they acted like it was news to them.Anyway,they offered to do something to make it right like rechrome(not nickel plate) my pipe.BTW,Sparks had great chrome and were not any higher than these.

250r__Ice
06-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Dave83
How long have you had your pipe. They offered to rechrome it?

atvmxr
06-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 250r morphidite
he said there for perfomance not really made for the show LOL!!!!!!

Bingo!! I have never understood the fascination with chroming exhaust, be it cars or quads. If you want it to sit there and be pretty, then by all means chrome it. but if you plan to ride, find something else to fixate over being shiny! I expect my exhaust to be purple-blue-gold, if its not then I've got some more tuning to do.. :)

250r__Ice
06-04-2009, 10:51 PM
If I wanted the factory look thats what I would have gotten. I was under the impression from their adds, internet site and pamphlets that I was getting a nice high end chrome pipe.The performance is excellent.
Its like taken your car to a professional painter
and gettin it back and it looks like it been painted with spay cans from the local hardware store. Everybody to there own. Some like it plain jane, some like it nice and shiny. If your not going to sell it dont advertise it. If its the factory look, chrome or nickle, you need to sell what you advertise. By the way mine dosent just sit there and be pretty, its rode hard. And if you dont like chrome and shiny why are you even repling to this thread. Dont ditch me because I do. I just dont sit there and fixate on it I ride it. Bingo!!

wes350x
06-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by atvmxr
Bingo!! I have never understood the fascination with chroming exhaust, be it cars or quads. If you want it to sit there and be pretty, then by all means chrome it. but if you plan to ride, find something else to fixate over being shiny! I expect my exhaust to be purple-blue-gold, if its not then I've got some more tuning to do.. :)

I like mine shiny and fast. Doesnt have to be ugly to be fast

Dave83
06-05-2009, 05:33 AM
If iys not going to be shiny or at least stay on the damn thing,dont put it on there and charge me for it in the first place.They dont offer anything but shiny pipes,so I think they intended on them being that way.You guys got fancy wheels on any of your trucks???what if only 6 months down the road,the chrome peeled,who cares,they are still round and roll down the road.Jeez,I dont mind a works pipe,if thats what I had bought in the first place.