PDA

View Full Version : Do they really work?

honda400-4-ever
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
does removing the choke and removing the lid off the airbox really make a BIG power difference???

BlasterEaten250
06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
No.

Punkmaster Flex
06-03-2009, 05:25 PM
If you were changing your T4 slip-on for a full exhaust you'd see a bigger difference than removing the choke and taking the lid off.

450rJam
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
removing the air box lid will improve peformance but you will also want to upgrade the exhaust and rejet the carb to get the most power

if your not going to rejet do not take off the lid, it will make your motor run too lean and will cause problems

Jimmy

honda400-4-ever
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
no im talking about rejeting and puting th 42 pilot on with taking the choke off

dariusld
06-03-2009, 06:09 PM
If you look down the carb it looks like a big restriction to me.

ae13291
06-03-2009, 07:22 PM
im not gonna lie, when i removed my choke i felt a noticeable differance in pick up, so throttle response was better, and its not in my head either, i know for a fact it made a differance. as for removing the lid, well you need to have it rejetted correctly. but instead of removing the lid completly i would get a outerwares lid cover

Snipe
06-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Choke might make the throttle respond a bit better but the actual power gains from it would be minimal but a little here a little there and it adds up. If ya remove the air lid like others said I would agree on jetting up a size or so.

I dont think imo that doing either would make a very noticable difference but that is just me. its when you start adding a few of these little things together when you see it.

honda400-4-ever
06-03-2009, 08:45 PM
what didu guys us to plug the hole...im thinking earplugs

ae13291
06-03-2009, 09:01 PM
i would not take the risk of using an earplug, it can possibly be sucked in from the vacuum. use a rubber cap like i mentioned in the other thread

Snipe
06-03-2009, 09:10 PM
head to Oreily autoparts they have some little rubber caps that will set tight on the hole and plug it off. I bought some smaller ones when I did the 450R carb mod. Just take the carb with you and tell the clerk I want something to plug this hole. He/She should be able to help.

416exman21
06-05-2009, 07:51 AM
sounds like a great idea! (notttt) why take the choke out sounds dumb.. when it's cold it will take a lil bit to crank... just suck it up and buy a edelbrock faltside 38mm or a better carb and get more throttle reponse and performance,,don't rig it up do it right.

honda400-4-ever
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
some people dont have the money to buy a new carb when they dont need one.....so in result just do a 4.00 (for the pilot jet) mod..that u can replace!!!

rob_990
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by 416exman21
sounds like a great idea! (notttt) why take the choke out sounds dumb.. when it's cold it will take a lil bit to crank... just suck it up and buy a edelbrock faltside 38mm or a better carb and get more throttle reponse and performance,,don't rig it up do it right.

just throw in a 42 and youll be fine i maybe used my choke 3 times all ice racing season.just pump the throttle a couple times and youll be good

Snipe
06-05-2009, 01:52 PM

From what I heard the edelbrock carbs are worthless there very hard to get it tuned right.

To fix the cold start just put in a 42 pilot jet and you dont have to have a choke at all. Think simple man make it easy on yourself and your pocket book.

bigbad400
06-06-2009, 07:37 PM

its not rigged up he just took a huge restriction out of a perfectly good carb to do the same thing, gain some performance. i live in northern michigan with no choke and a 42 pilot and i have never had a problem starting mine and i run it all year sometimes in -10 or colder temps. if its properly jetted it should start no matter what temps you have, just have to jet for your temp not mine. its cold here sometimes.

416exman21
06-06-2009, 08:46 PM
sorry just scared to try new things---i always felt if it came that way don't take stuff off-- but i guess if it works give it a shot (good luck)

416exman21
06-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Snipe

mine has worked perfectly--no problems---i admit i do have way to much money tied up in this thing and it sucks to think abot it sometimes lol

From what I heard the edelbrock carbs are worthless there very hard to get it tuned right.

To fix the cold start just put in a 42 pilot jet and you dont have to have a choke at all. Think simple man make it easy on yourself and your pocket book.