PDA

View Full Version : Primary Drive Sprocket

alberto
06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Trying to install a new sprocket set on a 01 400ex. I am having trouble installing the front sprocket. The oem and another sprocket that I have go on and off with no problems. The Primary Drive 14 tooth sprocket (36214) is a bear to get on. I am having to tap it on with a rubber hammer. Is this normal? Also do I want the letters facing out or toward the bike? Please help ASAP!!!!!!!!

katch26
06-03-2009, 02:39 PM
check out my thread...Imhaving the same problem, is yours going on or are you having to force it on

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=398594

BamBam21
06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Make sure it is the same spline pitch, the 05 up is a diff spline pitch.

BB

Snipe
06-03-2009, 07:45 PM
gotta watch RMATV over this kinda stuff. I ordered 2 parts for my bike air scoops had to mod to fit my 08, also dif place frame gaurds had to mod to fit my 08 as well.

Primary drive sprocket fit perfect on mine.

Alot of them are selling for the 400ex not realizing there are changes!!

BEAVER.989
06-04-2009, 08:18 AM
I just put one on my quad yesterday and it slid right on. I should have paid better attention to how the old one came off, though... because something doesn't seem quite right.

The little retainer doesn't slide all the way up against the sprocket, but when you install the two bolts, it pulls the sprocket out to the retainer. Everything is fairly solid, but it seems like there should be a washer behind the sprocket. Is this normal? I can't see how else it would work...

Oh, and word to the wise... be careful when reinstalling the bolts. I broke them both! I do have a tendency to overtighten things a little.

katch26
06-04-2009, 08:46 AM
if your not 100% sure do the im chat. I called a couple of time and was told they would exchange it if I sent it back to them....8 bucks shipping for and 8 dollar sprocket is dumb to do. I talked with a guy on IM and we went through all the normal questions and he just ended up crediting my account the cost of the sprocket because I had already ordered replacements but he did offer to send me out another one no cost. He said it will be a tight fit but go on with a couple taps of a rubber mallet but mine needed MUCH more than a rubber mallet to go anywhere.

He also said that its possible it came off the jig wrong.

BEAVER.989
06-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
The little retainer doesn't slide all the way up against the sprocket, but when you install the two bolts, it pulls the sprocket out to the retainer. Everything is fairly solid, but it seems like there should be a washer behind the sprocket. Is this normal? I can't see how else it would work...

Please advise. Does this sound right? I'm kinda concerned about it. It seems like such a vital part of the drivetrain would be a little more secure.

2muchquad
06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
my 300ex has plenty of slop in the sprocket after the retaining bolts are tight,no biggie i know its not going anywhere.i imagine you could get a new output shaft to tighten the fit back up to "new specs",otherwise just ride:D

BEAVER.989
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
My quad only has about 4hrs on it, so it better still be like new, lol. I guess I have it right, though. I just searched "sprocket" and found a thread on page 10 that leads me to believe I did everything right and that this is quite normal. Thanks.