PDA

View Full Version : a sway bar in mx???

dehner47
06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
ok. now i know what the idea is behind running a sway bar on a TT/flat track bike, but whats up with joe bryd and nick denoble running a sonic sway bar at the steel creek national. i can totally see how it could work, but still a little sketchy to me on if it would help out the bike going over the large whoops and holes. anyone have any input on this?? or know if it helped or effected joe and nicks race??

06-03-2009, 02:12 PM
1st off am I missing something because i'm not seeing any shock absorbers it looks like a solid piece of metal?! I think it would work great unless it was uneven terrain then you might be pulling up the 1 side. For turns though roll would be much less. Maybe the shocks working more together make it better for MX? I see a real benefit in the turns but I just cant make a fact about it around the rest of the track and over bumps. Looks like we need an ATVriders interview?

dehner47
06-03-2009, 02:23 PM
the metal bars you are seeing is just a piece of metal with a bolt running threw it that they put on the bikes while they have the shocks off getting serviced or what not.

but i do agree we need some insight on this set up. from the horses mouth would be best:devil:

sonicracer
06-03-2009, 05:31 PM
Hey everyone,
This is Andy from Sonic Offroad. I try to keep up with the forums to answer whatever questions customers might have about our products. Whether its setup, adjustments, or even assembly I think it’s important to keep in touch with the racers and the riders.

Our idea behind the front anti roll bar on the MX and XC ATV's is to balance the roll couple between the front and the rear of the ATV. With a solid rear axle we have an extremely stiff roll rate in the rear and an extremely soft front roll rate in the front. If we remove a small portion of that roll in the front and intern add some cross weight to the rear we can get added traction in the rear and increase cornering speeds.

The anti roll bar adds spring rate to the front suspension when one wheel travels further then the other wheel. So you would think a bump on the left would upset the ATV. This is true if you have an extremely stiff torsion member connecting the left side to the right. After much testing we figured out what torsion bar rate will not upset the ATV in the bumps, but will also give the roll stiffness to make you faster.

This being said, it is also important to be sure the anti roll bar is durable enough to take the extreme abuse that MX and XC presents. This is where our patent pending over tube design comes in. We are able to use a longer torsion bar and attach the down links closer to the inner a-arm pivots making for an extremely durable product. Without the patent pending design I would not be able to manufacture a product that would hold up to the abuse that MX XC and desert racing presents.

At this point Joe Byrd, Nick DeNoble, and Jason Dunkelburger are racing with the Sonic Edge Anti Roll System. After our development is completed with the MX racers we plan to start testing with the XC racers to try to give them a benefit in the corners as well.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks

http://www.sonicoffroad.com/images/new index/Anti Roll system/honda 450r/905P4160.jpg

Which 450?
06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the write up!

Brad77
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow thats awesome and very interesting. Thanks for the info Andy.
Now that I have seen the pics I am wishing I could see some video of this setup turning and going over some rough stuff.

ProspectorJim
06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
how much do these cost?

hardkoratvmxr
06-03-2009, 06:55 PM
that is cool and a very ingenious thing to consider and even make a part for this application

BakerRacing40
06-03-2009, 07:36 PM
hey andy, you guys have a website ? i'm flat track/tt and always looking for swaybars that are good. let me know thanks man.

extremeblastr
06-03-2009, 07:42 PM
andy i can see the theory behind this setup and believe it could work, but do the benefits cancel out the added weight from the setup? and exactly how heavy is it? myself and other racers i know spend a lot of time shaving every ounce we can in an effort to gain that little edge....

Robin Hood
06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a good idea. Send one my way and I'll put it to the XC test haha.

sonicracer
06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
We are currently doing a production run and hope to be dropping the price a little depending on what actual costs end up being but I can’t promise anything.

The whole assembly weighs 6lbs. This may seem like a lot, but saving weight in other places lets you add a little weight using products that make you faster. Races are won in the corners and that's where we are concentrating on with this product.

All components that make up this bar are manufactured in the USA which isn't done often these days. The torsion member is made from chrome molly spring steel by the top torsion bar manufacture in the US. The torsion member material is sprint steel just like coil-over springs and must be made of this material if it is to act like a spring for extended periods of time. The main support tube is 4130 chrome molly but soon we will be offering grade9 titanium which will save .5lbs. All other parts are either 7075 t6 or 6061 t6 aluminum and all parts are machined from billet.

The assembly is extremely adjustable between the clamps on the a-arms and the cross holes in the torque arms, but another great option we have available to us is the large range of torsion member diameters. We can use from .400in thick to .800in thick in .025in increments. This means we can add just a little roll rate or a lot of roll rate and everything in between to get the exact setup for all types of ATV racing and riding.

ScottB125
06-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Pretty cool!

Drag racers use a similar device in the rear to help with launches and for more stability down track...they work awesome.

When I get some real suspension, I'll definately try one of these out.

witech
06-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Ive been running a custom sway bar on my trail/mx quad for several years now. Its nowhere near as stiff as the tt bars and works best on my 12 inches of travel front end. I think it cost around $60 to make including the new bar and hiems.

BakerRacing40
06-06-2009, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by witech
Ive been running a custom sway bar on my trail/mx quad for several years now. Its nowhere near as stiff as the tt bars and works best on my 12 inches of travel front end. I think it cost around $60 to make including the new bar and hiems.

I love to trail ride and play around with my sway bar on. and the -2 swing arm.. talk about hookin up..

witech
06-06-2009, 08:53 AM
And the hold on for dear life cornering. :D

sonicracer
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I agree. Anti roll bars work great on the front end when the right roll rate is selected for the different types of riding and racing.