PDA

View Full Version : Switch Assembly to Single Starter Button

BM@Ronayers
06-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Has anyone done or tried this mod. I know the link shows for a 400ex but I do not imagine it to be to different for a 300. I am in the middle of tearing my wiring harness apart to remove unwanted wires. I do not run lights or anything else so I am trying to just have what I need on the handlebars, and that is just a starter button. I have had harness issues in the past and actually had to cut into it and reconnect somthing honda connect poorly when it was built back in 99. This has caused me a good bit of heartache on the trails at times. I do have a couple questions about this mod though. The clutch switch or "Stop Switch" as it is technically called, can this be done away with all together? I know the wires eventually connect to the Neutral and Reverse switches on the right side on the motor. Can someone shed a little light, I am trying to get away with as little wires as possible. Also, what exactly does the Reverse Inhititor do? Thanks

Here is the link to the mod
http://www.mudanddirt.com/tech/one_button_start/

JohnT_98300EX
06-03-2009, 10:33 AM
THe clutch is an easy fix. At whatever point you want just connect the 2 wires together. Go back down the harness as far as you want to keep wire4s off the bars.
For the start button the red wire comes from the starter relay area, through a 15 amp fuse and to the ignition switch. The black n(battery) wire from the ignition switch powers the entire starter/lights/kill switch.
The battery (black) needs to be connected to the ignition wire (Bl/W) or on a switch.
The battery also needs to hook to the starter button and the other pole to the starter (Y/R) wire.
The easiest way probably is to leave the switch cluster and just eliminate the unneeded wires. low beam is W, high beam is Bu, and tail is Br.
If you don't have a wiring diagram I can send one. I really should just post it here somewhere?

BM@Ronayers
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
So just connect the two wires that plug into the switch? That is kinda what I was thinking but wasnt sure. If you could, please send me a copy of the diagram. I have a downloaded service manual but the wiring diagram page is pretty blurry. My email is Bmedlin85@yahoo.com Thanks