PDA

View Full Version : Skid Plates

UnderFire
06-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I want some added protection for my bike, and i was looking at engine skids and swing arm skids, it would be almost 250$ to buy them, so i was thinking about custom fabbing some myself....has anyone tried this?

if so, any tips?

ae13291
06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
there is people on here that sell em as kits, it would be good to use a nice hard plastic material. i think we should have a bigger engine skid, the stock one is way to small

UnderFire
06-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by ae13291
there is people on here that sell em as kits, it would be good to use a nice hard plastic material. i think we should have a bigger engine skid, the stock one is way to small
I'm not a racer, so weight isn't that much of an issue, i would go with a sheet metal if i made them.

ae13291
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
its not about the weight, and sheet metal is not a good type of skid, either use real thick aluminum or plastic material, the plastic would be strong enough to withstand rocks, and it will flex a bit but not much. the stock sheet metel swingarm skid plate bends everytime i hit a big enough rock.

Snipe
06-02-2009, 08:55 PM
ebay ya can usually get a good set of cheap a arm and chassi skid for around $100 and a good swinger depending on new or used $40 to $100 depending on price. Got all mine for around $125 just right bargain at the right time. Keep your eyes open on ebay you can get the prices down.

If your dead set on making your own just check and recheck your measurments sheet metal aint cheap lol.

The hardest one to make would be the swinger skid since it counter sinks inside the rotor and rear sprocket.

If you bought then I would start with the swinger first then later on buy the other two buy it piece at a time and it dont seem so bad buying them ya know still spending the same but in your mind its cheaper lol, its what I did.