PDA

View Full Version : quick question-is it worth it?

fasterblaster09
06-02-2009, 03:30 PM
found a 01 300ex, guy said it runs great. has scorpion exhaust, and as his tires.....super swampers (he said they are about the same size as stock tires). He's asking $1500 negotiable. Im about the go look at it in 10 minutes and was wondering if the price is right. thanks, neil

born2ride14
06-02-2009, 04:07 PM
offer him 1200

hondariderdylan
06-02-2009, 06:30 PM
talk him down as much as you can and then if you can swing the price, go for it;)

fasterblaster09
06-02-2009, 07:01 PM
ok well I went look at it and rode it. its just a slip on. it runs good, its the original owner. there was slight rust, not in a particular area, not much though on the frame. I know I could paint it, but idk if I could take everything apart and put it back together myself. I think I will call him tomorow and offer him 1200. I'd prolly try to paint it without taking everythinggg off if I have to

gcart2
06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
ok well I went look at it and rode it. its just a slip on. it runs good, its the original owner. there was slight rust, not in a particular area, not much though on the frame. I know I could paint it, but idk if I could take everything apart and put it back together myself. I think I will call him tomorow and offer him 1200. I'd prolly try to paint it without taking everythinggg off if I have to

offer him 1000
he will counter 1200 or 1300
go lower than what he says and claim you have the cash ready.

KevinAb
06-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Could be a decent deal. All depends on condition. Check anything obvious-

Check wheel bearings and hubs for any slop- grab each wheel on each side and shake, any wiggle?

Same idea shaking the bike around, any slop in the bushings, ball joints?

Look at brakes, need soon?

Of course look for smoke outta the exhaust. Maybe check compression.

Any shocks blown? My rear was when I bought it, didn't notice on a quick ride around a parking lot.

Handle bars bent? Any bent tie rods, A-arms...

Chain, sprockets....

The list goes on. Just make sure it's solid overall, and figure out what it needs soon.

fasterblaster09
06-02-2009, 08:29 PM
or my brother in law has a 400ex that the front end is apart (he had the a-ams, steering stem, foot pegs, etc. chromed) and said he will sell me everything like it is for $1000. I know the the motor has a cam and bored and what not. I think I will go that route

KevinAb
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Just add up everything it needs was all I'm getting at. Same thing on the 400 or anything else you consider.

I looked at quite a few before I bought, finally found the right deal and bought it. I was searching craigslist for months before I was ready to buy. I saw a lot that were over priced, and a lot of cheaper ones that could have been moneypits.

I found a nice deal on one where the guy just needed quick cash. Those are the deals to find, just takes a while.