PDA

View Full Version : GM to sell HUMMER brand to Chinese

scuzz
06-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by msn.com

NEW YORK - General Motors Corp. took a key step toward its downsizing on Tuesday, striking a tentative deal to sell its Hummer brand, while also revealing that it has potential buyers for its Saturn and Saab brands.

GM has a tenatative agreement to sell its rugged Hummer brand to Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery Co. of China, said a person briefed on the deal.

The Detroit automaker announced Tuesday morning that it had a memorandum of understanding to sell the brand of rugged SUVs, but the buyer’s identity was not released. A formal announcement of the buyer was to be made Tuesday afternoon.

Sichuan Tengzhong deals in road construction, pplastics, resins and other industrial products, but Hummer would be its first step into the automotive business, said the person briefed on the deal. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the details have not been made public.

GM said the sale will likely save more than 3,000 U.S. jobs in manufacturing, engineering and at various Hummer dealerships.

As part of the proposed transaction, GM said, Hummer will continue to contract vehicle manufacturing and business services from GM during a transitional period. For example, GM’s Shreveport, La., assembly plant would continue to contract to assemble the H3 and H3T through at least 2010.

The automaker also said Tuesday that it has 16 buyers interested in purchasing its Saturn brand, while three parties are interested in the Swedish Saab brand.

Chief Financial Officer Ray Young told reporters and industry analysts on a conference call that GM is continuing to pursue manufacturing agreements with a new Saturn buyer.

GM would like to sell the money-losing Saturn brand’s dealership network, contracting with the new buyer to make some of its cars while the buyer gets other vehicles from different manufacturers.

At the same time, bridge loan discussions with the Swedish government are progressing, Young said.

GM, which filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in New York on Monday, is racing to remake itself as a smaller, leaner automaker. It is hoping to follow the lead of fellow U.S. automaker Chrysler LLC by transforming its most profitable assets into a new company in just 30 days and emerging from bankruptcy protection soon after.

But GM is much larger and complex than its Auburn Hills-based rival and isn’t up against Chrysler’s tight June 15 deadline to close its deal with Fiat.

Sharon Lindstrom, managing director at business consulting firm Protiviti, said the companies pose different challenges. But as with Chrysler, she notes that the Treasury Department made sure many of GM’s moving parts were in order ahead of time so a quick bankruptcy reorganization might be possible.

“They had a lot of their ducks in a row because the terms of the government financing forced them to get all the parties to the table in a very, very short period of time,” Lindstrom said.

In addition to its plan to sell the Hummer, Saab and Saturn brands, GM will also phase out its Pontiac brand, concentrating on its Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC nameplates.

Separately, the German government said Tuesday it paid out the first euro300 million ($425 million) in bridge loans to GM’s Adam Opel GmbH division. The loans are part of a deal to shrink GM’s stake in Opel and shield it from GM’s bankruptcy protection filing in the U.S.

Over the weekend, the German government agreed to lend Opel $2.1 billion. The loans are part of a deal in which Canadian auto supplier Magna International Inc. and Russian-owned Sberbank will acquire 55 percent of the company.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:honda-tech.com/get//images/smilies/uhoh.gif

JForestZ34
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
This is crazy... I know it's not that great of a brand.... But how much of our products that we make are we going to sell off to other countries... This is insane...

James

scuzz
06-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I believe it was done so that GM wouldn't have taken a dump and then be bought by some other country/investor at fire sale prices.

Hummer is a negative brand for GM right now with so much emphasis on hybrids and whatnot. Pontiac was just another flavor of vanilla.

54warrior
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Pontiac was just another flavor of vanilla.

minus the G8, which should have been named the Grand Prix or GTO or Bonneville or something different than G8... they'd have sold a bunch more I'm sure. Another brilliant marketing decision.

scuzz
06-02-2009, 01:09 PM
They should just make the G8 the impala and have a real SS impala.

54warrior
06-02-2009, 01:21 PM
They should just make the G8 the impala and have a real SS impala.

I like that idea!

scuzz
06-02-2009, 02:02 PM
No more trans am or firebird though.

907Rider
06-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Wtf is going on :eek: :(

MX MaNiAc 06
06-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Pontiac was just another flavor of vanilla.

:eek: You bite your tongue! haha I thought Pontiac made great cars.

Quad18star
06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Hummer was costing GM millions a year because of poor sales. I'm sorry , but I'm not one to go out and buy a glorified gas guzzling Blazer chassied vehicle at an outrageous price because of the name.

With it being sold to the Chinese, I bet you'll see the vehicle being made in the USA kind of like the Japanese are doing with Toyota. Toyota is more American than any of the other Big 3 ... Chinese will do the same with Hummer.

PhilMoore
06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Thank goodness they are selling the Corvette Brand to Ford, which was/is still an American Company (as far as I know).

scuzz
06-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Smething that should have happened in the 80's prior to Toyota making it so big. I like GM a LOT and they've come a long, log way since my mother's 1979 Park Avenue.

(not her car, but one like it.)

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j254/gwwaddle/2950155772_5dd89f5c76_o.jpg

scuzz
06-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
:eek: You bite your tongue! haha I thought Pontiac made great cars.

I'd have to agree with you if it were the 50's or early 60's, but lately they have been just a different fascia away from a Chevrolet. (sorry about the rhyme)

Originally posted by PhilMoore
Thank goodness they are selling the Corvette Brand to Ford, which was/is still an American Company (as far as I know).

HA!

Like that would ever happen, besides it's not a brand, but rather a model.

450r ride red
06-02-2009, 03:17 PM
hummers are gay they have the chevy colorado(sp) fram the only diff is the body and interior

scuzz
06-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by 450r ride red
hummers are gay they have the chevy colorado(sp) fram the only diff is the body and interior

Yep.

H3 = Colorado Frame

H2 = Tahoe Frame

hondaking52
06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I'd have to agree with you if it were the 50's or early 60's ya, my dads 67 beaumont hauls some serious arse!!!!!:D

JForestZ34
06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Back in the 60's and 70's is when pontiac made it's mark.... After the early 80's that brand was done.. The only thing good the pontiac did was build good muscle cars back in the day...

James

muddy400EX
06-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
Back in the 60's and 70's is when pontiac made it's mark.... After the early 80's that brand was done.. The only thing good the pontiac did was build good muscle cars back in the day...

James

i wouldnt say that, 4th gen firebirds are badarse. especially ws6

scuzz
06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i wouldnt say that, 4th gen firebirds are badarse. especially ws6

But there wasn't any real styling. It was a different fascia on another f-bodied car with a GM LS or LT engine. No Pontiac-specific engine or other drive train components, just Pontiac branded trim and body panels.

byrdman37876
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by PhilMoore

are u serious? :eek2: a ford corvette :confused:

PhilMoore
06-03-2009, 05:34 PM
na just trying to be funny

byrdman37876
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
well as the saying goes "it aint over yet"

Chit
06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
This reminds me of a game of Monopoly.

It seems like China is the banker of the game right now. :(

450Rchaser
06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Hummer was costing GM millions a year because of poor sales. I'm sorry , but I'm not one to go out and buy a glorified gas guzzling Blazer chassied vehicle at an outrageous price because of the name.

With it being sold to the Chinese, I bet you'll see the vehicle being made in the USA kind of like the Japanese are doing with Toyota. Toyota is more American than any of the other Big 3 ... Chinese will do the same with Hummer.

I work at Crest Cadillac-Hummer in Nashville. I think Hummers are very overpriced. They mite be based off another chassis but are nothin like a blazer or tahoe. We have taken several trips to offroad parks to show customer what they will do. You would probably be very suprised at the flex they have, You put a straight axle under the front of one and you will be going anywhere rock crawlers will go.

We havent heard anything about loosing the Hummer brand. We are owned by Sonic Automotive. We r one of close to 200 car dealers owned by Bruton Smith and a top performer. Hopefully we wont loose Hummer. The type of people that buy them are in a diff. category than most of us. They dont haggle with prices. They come in and slap down a check for $70K and then tell you about all there other cars they have. Basically working on Hummers puts food on my table and I would hate to see them go.