View Full Version : how to paint rims ???

trailrider894
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
i'm wondering what the best way to rattle can my rims is??? i'm not looking for people to say that i shouldn't paint them with spray paint because i don't care. should i prime them first??? what type of paint??? how many coats?? etc......

RAPER
06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
you need to prep the wheels by either sandblasting them (easiest way) or by hand sanding the surfaces or using that industrial brillo pad looking scuff pad. What this does is create a good surface for the new paint to bond to so you don't have issues with paint flaking off.

Once this is done, then you should wipe them down with break clean or something similar.

I personally used rustoleum industrial grade flat black paint. I did 2 coats of paint then did 2 coats of matte clear coat. I've got about 10 rides on the wheels since then and the paint still looks like new.

BakerRacing40
06-04-2009, 11:10 PM
^^ like that but i'd use some etching primer then throw some paint to them.. prep work is the key to making a cheap job look good. when ever you use brake clean, paint thinner, or what ever to clean the surface. let it dry for a while couple hours.. then spray on the etching primer (you can get at auto zone or wal mart, i'm pretty sure it's rust-o-leum?) stuff drys pretty fast lay a couple quick coats then let it try good. then take a "tack" rag a lil paint thinner on and wipe it down to remove dust. lay down your coats, you can either rush through and do several "wet" coats or go slow and wipe it down in between coats... should look good.. post pics when you get done to see how you did.

87HONDATRX250X
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
I heard a guy used truck liner (smooth) and sprayed it on and it held up real nice.

Altusrider
10-06-2009, 05:33 PM
i used the truck bed liner on mine.. preped like the above posts and hand sanded with 220 and cleaned with brake cleaner then sprayed with the truck bed liner.. looks good and holds on great

87HONDATRX250X
10-06-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Altusrider
i used the truck bed liner on mine.. preped like the above posts and hand sanded with 220 and cleaned with brake cleaner then sprayed with the truck bed liner.. looks good and holds on great

Can you post a pic of it? I was thinking about doing it to mine.

Shock22
10-23-2009, 11:17 AM
you can use rattle can but you need to lay 2-3 coats of primer after you scuff the rim, then allow the primer to flash(adhere) to the the rim and put the other coats on. Put however many coats you want depending on the amount of shine you want

jordan 23
10-23-2009, 08:27 PM
heres what i did i just started only got one painted right now but the rest are ready going to finish tommorow...i first took a electric drill and put like a steel brush pad in it and sanded the rims down so the paint would stick better and then took air hose and blowed them off after that took brake cleaner and srayed on them and whiped all them down with a rag to clean anything left on them after that i sprayed ecthing primer on them then i used dupli color semi gloss black engine enamal going to put a few coats of that on and then going to put a few coats of clear coat on i think its called dupli color wheel clear coat so far i think its looking great

bobizzle
10-26-2009, 05:43 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=409987

check out this thread, i did mine with a rattle can, sanded rims with 120 grit sand paper, and taped off lip of rim and where the lugs go so they wont chip when breaking the nuts. i used tsp to clean rims after sanding. sprayed 3 coats of black engine enamel. used enamel so it wont wanna chip easily. then sprayed 2 coats of satin clear special purpose paint. they dont look that bad, and havent had problems with 'em. check out the pics i posted on otha thread.

trailrider894
10-26-2009, 06:56 PM
i painted them already :).............. i cleaned the wheels with a power washer then used brake cleaner and then used the wheel cleaner for my car on them ( so now they are clean!!!! ) sanded them down with some sandpaper real good. cleaned them again. taped them off. then i sprayed a grey etching primer on ( i believe three or 4 coats ) then i sprayed with a high performance industrial strength enamel ( i believe 3 to 4 coats ) then i sprayed with a clear coat made for cars ( two coats. i found the stuff in my dad's basement works great!! ) the wheels are shiny as hell and have with stood hell to!! i will post some pics up later.

bobizzle
10-26-2009, 09:37 PM
damn, well sounds like you found some thin that works well. imma try it that way next time i paint some rims.