PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Xtreme 125 Starter

Shorty700Raptor
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM
When my son hits the electric start button, it sounds real crazy like the starter is about to go out...but the bike will still start. Does anyone know if this means it needs a starter and/or something else like a starter clutch?

Thanks for any help!!
Shorty

leager-n-ky
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
We had one do this, It was actually coming from behind the flywheel, the gear that the starter turns. Seems like one of the bolts were backing out of the flywheel, and rubbing that gear. I will check on this tomorrow for you to be sure.

leager-n-ky
06-03-2009, 06:49 PM
on the backside of the flywheel, the starter sprocket fits inside of it(flywheel) and there are three or four little things that look like spring loaded roller bearings. Centrifical force causes these to grab the starter sprocket, and turn the flywheel to start the motor. They call these starter clutches, sometimes they get twisted, or as ours did popped out of the little hole, and were squeeling against the starter sprocket, while fixing that, I noticed the allen head bolts in the flywheel were loose and backing out.

Shorty700Raptor
06-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok thanks!

So to check that, I need to pull the starter off..is there anything else I need to take off?

Shorty

leager-n-ky
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
no, you will need to pull the flywheel off, I use a flywheel puller that fits a Honda 450r. All the problems i explained were on the back side of the flywheel.

Shorty700Raptor
06-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Do you know if a flywheel puller for a YFZ 450R would work? If I have to buy one I would like to get one for a Yamaha b/c that's what we ride. Thanks.

Shorty700Raptor
06-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I pulled the cover off of the left side of the bike and hit the starter button...the chain skips over the teeth of the starter gear but the bike will still start. I'm guessing the chain is streched out! Which way do I turn the nut to take off the generator rotor/flywheel?

Thanks!

leager-n-ky
06-06-2009, 12:38 PM
It is a regular thread, left-loosy, righty-tighty. I dont know about the yamaha fly wheel puller, but you will have to have one, in order to get the flywheel off.

Shorty700Raptor
06-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Thanks for letting me know which way it turns..One of the Xtreme dealers service guy told me to put my impact on forward because it was backward threads. I plan on using an impact because I don't have any way to hold it. In your opinion, do you think the problem is just the chain & sprocket on the starter? Or do you think I will need to replace more than that?

Thanks

leager-n-ky
06-06-2009, 05:21 PM
If the chain is skipping around the sprocket, I would think the sprocket will be bad, I guess it depends on how long this has been going on, I am trying to remember, what keeps tension on that chain, there is a good chance that this will be the problem, but I am drawing a blank. My brother has the four stroke flywheel puller, and he is gone for the weekend, if you have not figured it out by mon evening, I will pull one apart, and look it over. I do remember a sprocket lock, it is a flat piece of metal that holds the starter sprocket in place, let me know what you find

Shorty700Raptor
06-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Monday I'm going to call around & call Xtreme to see if I can find anyone who has worked on these. I looked at it & it doesn't look like there is any adjustment for the chain. I'd appreciate it if you look at it & get back with me on what you find!

If anyone sells parts for the Xtreme 125, & has a new chain/sprocket & the gasket for sale, let me know! I would like to order one right away.

Thanks!

leager-n-ky
06-07-2009, 07:50 AM
I will look at that for you, as far as the gasket, I got tired of waiting on backorders, and was taking that side off so much, I just started using RTV silicone, If you run into a problem getting parts, Let me know, I have three of these motors in the basement, with broken cranks, I can take some parts off if you need too.