PDA

View Full Version : how to turn over a high compression 400ex

2001400exer
06-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Most everyone i know that has a 400ex goes out and puts a mild cam in along with a high compression engine, and if you have cranked the compression up too much then you may notice the engine doesnt turn over to easily and if the motor doesnt fire right away or is cold and takes awhile before it stays running the battery may start to die on you, well an easy fix is, a new battery. but not any battery go out and buy a battery from a raptor 660, garentee you have never heard a 400ex engine turn over so fast, this helps to not only provid more cranking force but turning the engine over faster also helps to start it, kinda like pull starting it and popping the clutch.
to do it all you need is the raptor batter and somthing to cut the top of the batter box off with, because the raptor battery is alittle taller then the stock 400ex one, then you will need a new flat stock of metel that can be bent to form a new band to hold the batter in place or take the easy way out and use a tie down. the metal stock is much cleaner looking and professional but the tie down serves the same purpose and also makes for a faster removal of the battery if needed, now the fender support on the stock fenders do get in the way SLIGHTLY and can be left but the bar does make contact with the top of the batter, an easy fix is put a small peice of weather stripping on the top of the battery or just remove the bar eaither way works and has no ill effect

quadrider00
09-06-2009, 01:51 PM
a GSX-R 1000 battery is the same size as the EX battery and has more CCA so it will fit with no mods

treadway47025
09-15-2009, 06:56 AM
what year gsx-r 1000?

speedfreek
09-15-2009, 08:05 AM
How much do these battery's run? I just bought one for my 450 Foreman and it cost me $75.

quadrider00
09-15-2009, 11:58 PM
YT12A-BS is the yuasa battery number

quadrider00
09-16-2009, 12:08 AM
2005-2007 gsx-r 1000
55 more CCA than the ex battery
and its a 9.5 AH battery compared to the ex's 8 AH
and its the exact same size

treadway47025
09-19-2009, 07:04 AM
awesome info everyone. Thanks!

H400DAN2004
12-17-2009, 02:01 PM
how does the moose 400ex replacement battery compare to that yuasa battery???

Pappy
01-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by H400DAN2004
how does the moose 400ex replacement battery compare to that yuasa battery???

Yuasa sets the standard for small batteries in this line. Their quality control is outstanding and there is not another company on the planet making a battery that can match them.

Many mexican and chinese units have flooded teh market and the big chain stores gobble them up because they can sell them cheap. After 20 years selling batteries, I can say that its a 50/50 shot with an off brand as to it making it more then a season or so. The Yuasa's have a much better track record.

That doesnt mean the others are total junk, but the old adage "You get what you pay for" is true here, along with proper maintence of the electrical system.

witech
01-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Yuasa sets the standard for small batteries in this line. Their quality control is outstanding and there is not another company on the planet making a battery that can match them.

Many mexican and chinese units have flooded teh market and the big chain stores gobble them up because they can sell them cheap. After 20 years selling batteries, I can say that its a 50/50 shot with an off brand as to it making it more then a season or so. The Yuasa's have a much better track record.

That doesnt mean the others are total junk, but the old adage "You get what you pay for" is true here, along with proper maintence of the electrical system.

I think Yuasa has gone the way of the cheap crap batteries . Ive had 3 in the last couple of years couldnt pass a load test right out of the box. Every battery I buy always gets load tested and i agree about the 50/50 shot at having a good one but I have to lump yuasa in with the china ones

Pappy
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by witech
I think Yuasa has gone the way of the cheap crap batteries . Ive had 3 in the last couple of years couldnt pass a load test right out of the box. Every battery I buy always gets load tested and i agree about the 50/50 shot at having a good one but I have to lump yuasa in with the china ones

Who activated them, and if it was you, how did you go about? And who did the load testing and by which method. I havent found many techs that can properly test a battery:p

witech
01-15-2010, 01:00 AM
I used to activate them myself until a year ago we started to see so many failures now I have my local shop do it and it has made no difference. I mostly use a Best load tester and also one of the newer electronic battery testers ( I forget the brand). If your wondering about my qualifications I am an 20 year ASE master tech who has had training from Delco ,Interstate and from Tech schools.
Ive seen these issues in the automotive battery world as well. Delco Freedom high cycles which 20 years ago stood out as a install and forget about battery which would last far beyond thier rated life have also dropped in lifespan so you are lucky to make 2 or 3 years on many of them.
As far as quads I think we have tried most major brands including the precharged gel batteries which by far were the worst ive ever seen. Recently we picked up a ready to go battery at Walmart for one of our Cannondales and it wouldnt even turn the engine over more than once. Took it back got another one and that one is still working.
I have tried the high capacity ones that are the same size as stock and are capable of putting out nearly 200 amps but after a few months their capacity is no better than stockers. Ive totally lost faith in small batteries and make sure my small fleet get put on battery tenders when not in use .
The brands I mostly use now are Yuasa ,Bikemaster and Parts Unlimited (which are made by Yuasa) . I have no favorite brand anymore and just go with whatever has a stable and steady voltage during a load test. I also have convinced my dealer to get a tester and load test all batteries for customers as well before selling them .
I also push friends and customers not to abuse their batteries by charging with the incorrect chargers and charge rates . Go by what the battery manufacturer recommends and no more . Even one day on a car charger can boil the water out of these little batteries and ruin them. You should also check voltage on battery tenders with a volt meter after they have been on for a while to be sure they dont overvolt . Ive seen one bad Battery tender brand and several of the cheap float charger charging way over 13.5 volts which will slowly boil out the water.

dns1764
01-15-2010, 07:24 AM
as of right now my second battery just died. i had it for about 8 or 9 months and it wont turn the quad over. it has always been on a tender. will the store i bought it from take it back?? i have no clue on what most return policies are for the things.

Pappy
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Most of the load testers (even the small toaster testers) will overload the small batteries. Usually they have a minumim load of 110 which is double what most of the ATV batteries are rated (1/2 the CCA for those that dont know)

The Conductance testers do a good job and thats what we recommended to everyone because they are idiot proof yet they as well will only test to a low of 100 cca but the info the test provides can usually tell a knowledgable tech what he needs to know.

I fought with Yuasa for years trying to get them to change the activation methods included in teh service bullitens and in the instructions included with the batteries. They state to wait 30 minutes after activation...I wait 24 hours BEFORE charging. I had almost a ZERO comeback rate on that line for over 5 years doing it this way.

400nate
02-12-2010, 11:18 AM
I have had the same battery in my 400ex since new. bought it in 2003. only had it die on me once. after a good deep cycle charge hooked to a jumprer pack and using its charger which took about 2 days to fully charge. its back to top notch again. 7 yrs same stock battery has out lasted the motor 3 times already. also have an 06 LTR450 still has stock battery. no water or anything ever added to either one and kept in an unheated garage.

Phantasm400ex
02-17-2010, 01:19 AM
check out batteries plus.com they have replacements that fit with no mods and have a significant increase in cca

400exmxrider15
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
Can i use a higher CCA in a stock bore and stroke 400? I dont know if it would overload the starter or not? or is this only for high compression and cammed engines?

400nate
01-21-2011, 09:10 PM
using a battery with a higher CCA will not harm the ATV at all. it will help crank a little harder. only harm that could ever be done is if you sat there holding the starter button for long periods of time with a no start situation. when ever i replace a battery in anything, be it a car, ATV, RC car, I always get the largest capacity battery that will fit.

400exmxrider15
01-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by 400nate
using a battery with a higher CCA will not harm the ATV at all. it will help crank a little harder. only harm that could ever be done is if you sat there holding the starter button for long periods of time with a no start situation. when ever i replace a battery in anything, be it a car, ATV, RC car, I always get the largest capacity battery that will fit.
I just put new starter brushes in, and i never hold it for longer than 10seconds anyways, my stock battery is still cranking nice, but i will remember for when i need a battery to get a higher CCA!