PDA

View Full Version : balljoints

powermadd400ex
06-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Ok first off my front end consists of HydroDynamics USA +2 Aarms and Elka ZPS triple rate shocks.
Now the other day i was riding and i heard a clunking noise from my front end. i got the quad out today and jack the front end up and inspected it. I came to find my lower left balljoint in moving up and down when the tire is moved. It looks like its moving in the caliper but its actually the balljoint boot thats moving.
So my question is do i need a new ball joint? Or is there a simpler fix to this?
any input is greatly appreciated.
Thank you and God bless,

Chris

Scro
06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
If you've got up and down movement in the balljoint, it needs to be replaced. Having a balljoint come apart while riding is not fun. I would go ahead and replace the others while you are at it. If one already has up and down movement, the others are probably close to crapping out as well.

powermadd400ex
06-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Thanks man, thats what i thought. and i will end up buying all 4 balljoints since HDusa only sells them 4 to a pack.

Gibson
06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
haha, you got the same problem as me chris. My lower left ball joint is shot too, but i gotta ride it until i get the money for those +2's

powermadd400ex
06-01-2009, 05:07 PM
yea but yours lasted for 10 years+
my balljoints lasted for 8 months XD
if i cant get those balljoints in here before the weekend it looks like i wont be riding this weekend..

born2ride14
06-01-2009, 07:40 PM
well as long as you know what mm they are like 14mm or 16mm you can get them at other places, i have found that JB Racing has the cheapest ball joints.

deathman53
06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
you can get most of the ball joints at a auto parts store. Most of them are tie-rod ends for cars and light trucks. Bring the old ball joint with you, they will want to know if they are 14 or 16mm. I forgot the common model that the ends came from, I think its a ford contour. My friend went to East coast atv to get ball joints, they asked him if it 14mm or 16mm, all the a-arms use either 14 or 16mm car tie-rod ends. I wish I knew the parts needed, but laeger t-pin front ends can be rebuilt at a 1/3 the cost by visiting NAPA. Most the heims in a-arms can be gotten there too, rear axle bearings too. Most of the axle bearings can be gotten at a transmittion shop.