PDA

View Full Version : Motocrossing a 250R in 2009 (Round Three)

Derrick Adams
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
Round Three of our season turned out to be the craziest day of racing I have ever had at a motocross track.

We made a few minor changes to the bike since the last race. We added 2 clicks of compression to the front shocks and 2 clicks to the rear shock. We also did some testing with rear tires.

Moving on to race day.

There have been more than a few people that have wanted me to find out exactly how our 250R would stack up against the modern 450's that fill the pits. On this day we were going to find out!

MOTO ONE: (Big Bore Quad C)

I lined up on the gate with 8th gate pick. There were 11 riders in all. I was the lone 2 stroke (of course) and the only bike under 450ccs. Although this is C class, the top 5-6 bikes are fully built MX machines, and everyone has at least a-arms, axle and tires.

I got lucky enough to line up by one particular kid that I was looking forward to racing against. He had asked me at an earlier race why I would sell my 450R and get a 250R. "Those things are slow" He said. "You won't be able to run with any 450's on that." He also said. Needless to say that lit a fire under my butt.

When the gate dropped I came out balls to the wall and didn't lift until I was solidly in the front of the pack. I slammed the bike sideways in the first turn and came out of the holeshot in 3rd place. Guess who I was right behind? LOL. That drove me even more as I laid the hammer down. I was never able to pass that guy but I showed him my front tires many times in three laps. When the race was over myself and the two others up front had pulled a half track lead on the rest of the pack. I was dumb founded when I looked, as I pulled off the track and saw the others just rounding a turn waaay back on the track.

MOTO ONE: (400cc Quad)

This is my points class and I really needed a win over my nemisis. My plan this round was to stage just inside of him and try to close the door on the holeshot. There were 5 entrys in the class on this day, including the guy on the old LT250R again. Well... I made a rookie mistake and jumped the gate. I was really wanting to get the jump on the field and rolled right into the damn thing. That cost me the holeshot. I managed to tuck in right behind the two Suzuki's but after just one lap into it my left rear tire blew out which left me struggling to maintain my position. I finished 3rd in that moto.

Derrick Adams
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
MOTO 2: (Big Bore Quad C)

This time I had 3rd gate pick and was fortunate to get a great spot. I was feeling confident and I decided I was not leaving without at least one holeshot for the day. When the gate dropped I had my ***** clear back on the grab bar and was screaming to the first corner. I passes everyone before I lifted then crammed the brakes and cranked the bars. I had the holeshot locked. Then WHAMM... all of the sudden my bike would not move. I set there watching the whole darn field go around me. I turned around and there sets the boy on the Suzuki. His whole front end was wedged right up my tailpipe. Apparently Suzukis dont stop as good as Hondas.

After we finally got untangled we restarted our bikes and took off. I had 4 laps to go and alot of ground to make up. Catching the back half of the pack took 2 full laps. As I was weaving my way around the slower quads I saw the leader sitting off the side of the track with a broken axle. I pushed even harder. The boy on the Zuk then decided to get aggressive and shove me straight over a berm and off the track. Then I was really pissed. I now was officially riding over my head. Wide open everywhere, over jumping my landings, 3rd gear pinned thru the whoops, etc. I managed to pull out a 5th place finish in this moto which gave me a 4th place overall in Big Bore Quad C.

MOTO 2: (400cc Quad)

By the time I got to the gate for my last moto I was pretty well spent. By now I had blisters under my callasses and blood blisters under my blisters. I had lost my chance at a first place overall, which I really needed. Now all I could hope for was finishing at least second, for 2nd overall. I again fell in behind the Z400 off the line and this time ahead of the LT250. Out of nowhere I got a huge second wind. For the next four laps I rode right on top of my nemisis. Clearly I could walk away from him now, if I could just get a holeshot on him. I managed to make a move early in the second lap coming over an uphill double just to the left of him. This jump lead to a left hand sweeper that put you into the face of the new jump, which in turn lead to the whoops.

As we drifted around the sweeper my R was tracking unbelievably. I walked almost right up beside him, hitting the new double a half bike length behind and just to the left of him. When we entered the whoops I tripled in and pinned 3rd gear, just like in the C class. I pulled right up beside him and as soon as we exited the whoops he immediately cut left and ran me off the track. So I had to back off and ended up finishing 2nd in my moto, which gave me 2nd overall.

I guess we'll have to try again next race. This now puts him 14 points up on me, which means my championship is slipping away.

So there you have it. Now we know, with out a doubt, that a properly built 250R with an average rider can definately run with any 450 out there.

Stay tuned for the next race!

1promodfan
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Good to hear you're running with those 4-poke thumpers. I wish you could've give that guy in that 450 a taste of 2-stroke smoke!! I guess those words he babbled out didn't taste so good after a 20 year old quad was running with his new 4-joke.

I think once you get that "R" dialed in, you'll probably even suprise yourself on how good she's running!!!

CorvetteZ06
06-01-2009, 02:45 PM
sounds great man...... keep those pics coming!!

fastrnrik
06-01-2009, 07:26 PM
You really need to plow that idiot on that Z400. Put him on his lid before he hurts you.

How does the other 2 stroke, the ol LT250 do? Is it tricked out, or fairly stock? Just curious.

thedeatons
06-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Have you ever talked to the guy and told him that is crap racing? You guys are there to have fun and he is trying to put you in the hospital....

None of that crap is worth it to me, not even getting paid to deal with that.

mxduner
06-02-2009, 12:36 AM
this nemisis is REALLY starting to piss me OFF wtf are the class rules for the 400 class? i aint that far a drive for this kinda ****, i want some of that bull **** i wanna get in on this i hate losing to priks like that?

Derrick Adams
06-02-2009, 06:24 AM
It probably seems worse than it is, when you read it. The last time he pushed me off the track, I would consider it a clean move. Simply protecting his line. Running me into a tree, I would consider to be a bit too aggressive. I will say though that he is absolutely not afraid to hit me to win a $10 plastic trophy.

The kid in C class is the same way. He was telling me after the race about how he smashed himself thru the pack to get 2nd in the last moto. I was respectfully quick to point out that that is not acceptable racing practice and that he should pass clean or he could accedentally hurt somebody. When he pushed me over the berm my nephew was so pissed that he picked up a rock and was ready to wing it at him. lol

86 Quad R
06-02-2009, 06:51 AM
sounds like those guys are taking things TOO dayum seriously. i'm a easy going person by nature but when it comes to "deliberate" intent such as what your experiencing....... where i come from, they'd tote a good ole country a z z whoopin'. dont get me wrong, rubbing is racing but quite honestly you've been luck thus far.

btw: nice job your doing so far. me hat's off to ya mayun. :cool:

trx250rider
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
im just curious....it sounds as if you and the z400 are fairly close all the time but seems like he bumps or pushes you to get the lead every heat..why dont you do the same???????

mxduner
06-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by trx250rider
im just curious....it sounds as if you and the z400 are fairly close all the time but seems like he bumps or pushes you to get the lead every heat..why dont you do the same??????? easier said than done, if he can just get himself in position to do so than maybe the roles will change:devil:

as he stated i/we might be taking things slightly??? maybe??? out of context, i just mighta after the last read, kinda got me excited seems i have yet to see a gate drop this season:(

Dave83
06-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I still race my R at the local track too.Was the series champion last year in the over 30 class and also the only 2 stroke there,so I heard alot of the crap you are hearing now.I just tell them that if the 450's are that much superior,they better hope I never buy one,cause I already beat the crap out of them on an old R.This Z rider has me pissed too.You need a "jam" quad on the track,someone whose sole purpose would be to take that little @#!$er out.
On another note,I really enjoy your installments on the progress of your season,keep'em coming

mxduner
06-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Dave83
This Z rider has me pissed too.You need a "jam" quad on the track,someone whose sole purpose would be to take that little @#!$er out. :devil: thats what i was gonna do:devil:

Derrick Adams
06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Pic from the races. Yes we changed the platics.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l34/Derrick_Adams/mx250r.jpg