PDA

View Full Version : I want to committ mass murder of mosquitos

destey
06-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I live in rural Vermont and the mosquitoes, black flies and so forth are just horrible. I'm surrounded by thousands of acres of woodlands and there's many small ponds and areas for them to lay eggs.

I bought a 20pk of BTI mosquito dunks off ebay and tried them in an pond next to my house, didn't seem to do much. I figure I took out maybe 0.5% of them. One dunk only covers 100sq ft, which isn't much. I'm not too keen on buying a couple hundred $$$ worth of dunks when I'm not sure if it'll do anything.

I look around a little and Permethrin seems widely used.

Anyone have any ideas?

byrdman37876
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
unless u use napalm around that much woodland u aint got a chance.

JLanphear
06-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Where in VT do you live?

That's where I call home too!

destey
06-01-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Where in VT do you live?

That's where I call home too!

I live in Bristol. Its just perfect for atvs :) that is until you stop to take a breather and you start inhaling the mosquitos ;)

how bout you?

Quad18star
06-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Buy one of those propane bug killers . You run it for like a week and it helps to kill off the bugs for quite a while.

Other than that, lots of Deep Woods Off on you will do the trick.

nakomis0
06-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I use a fogger around the yard if we are having people over. It holds em back for about a day.

I freaken hate mosquitoes. When we go riding I always bring some Deep Woods Off.

Cr85rRida
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Introduce some dragon flies and bats to your area. They should have a blast eating those mofo's up! Just dont do too much cause you dont wanna disrupt the whole enviorment!

scuzz
06-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Where we lived in Plano, TX they were horrible! I lived in a Town home community with no ponds or icky backyards and the mosquitoes would eat me alive.

fastredrider44
06-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Mosquitos are worse this year then they have been in a long time! We spray Malathion anywhere water can sit. It doesn't kill mosquitos, but it keeps new ones from hatching.

JJs450r
06-01-2009, 12:46 PM
we got em bad here i live in the swamp/marsh lands

scuzz
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah where I grew up in South Louisiana they were bad too.

madskrillz2
06-01-2009, 12:59 PM
I live in north Alabama and they're AWFUL this year. I got used to not having many last year because we were pretty much in a drought. It's right the opposite this year. Within ten seconds of me stepping outside I'm gettin carried off.

BEAVER.989
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Pick up a ThermaCell. These things are amazing.

http://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/catalog/product/view/id/79867/s/mosquito-repellent-green/category/4386/

motofreak2772
06-01-2009, 01:51 PM
maybe your local university should try to create a bug that will decrease the mosqito population called love bugs which are actuall way more anoying and reproduce a hundred times faster like they did at UF...:rolleyes:
They crossbread bugs to create love bugs, to kill mosquitos but all they do is mate nonstop. Im sure theyve moved up north by now but its crazy down here, there are like millions flying around and its a pain to clean off

BakerRacing40
06-01-2009, 04:19 PM
i hate these m f'n skeetos' and gnats!!! agh i can't even hang in the shop with the doors open! but i'm seriously wondering has anybody noticed that their getting faster? i mean i used to be able to see them land on my arm and smack them before they started pulling the blood outta me, now they try to dodge my smacks at them? are they adapting ? or do i just live in skeeter ville?

powermadd400ex
06-01-2009, 05:18 PM
its horrible here, ive scratched the bites on my legs to sores.
we use bugspray and some sorta mosquito stick thing, the two put together works pretty well.

Aceman
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
i hate these m f'n skeetos' and gnats!!! agh i can't even hang in the shop with the doors open! but i'm seriously wondering has anybody noticed that their getting faster? i mean i used to be able to see them land on my arm and smack them before they started pulling the blood outta me, now they try to dodge my smacks at them? are they adapting ? or do i just live in skeeter ville?

Actually they've pulled so much blood from your body it's slowing your movements! Don't let them land on your peter....:eek: Mr Big might end up being called Mini-me!

06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Actually they've pulled so much blood from your body it's slowing your movements! Don't let them land on your peter....:eek: Mr Big might end up being called Mini-me!
Made my sig LMFAO

byrdman37876
06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Aceman

so thats what happened! :eek:

BakerRacing40
06-01-2009, 08:25 PM
lmao.... i've heard that if you have enough alcohol in your body that you no longer smell delicious to them?

derekhonda
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
"Manswers" did a test. Your sweat is supposed to be the best repellent. As for how to cover a wide area, you are just fighting a losing battle.

BakerRacing40
06-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
"Manswers" did a test. Your sweat is supposed to be the best repellent. As for how to cover a wide area, you are just fighting a losing battle.

aw hel we'll all just get wasted and even if they do bite we won't know or care!!

Meister649
06-01-2009, 09:48 PM
I live in the middle of the woods as well.. We have a fogger, which as stated before, helps a little bit when your having people over.. All the things you can think of that you light on fire.. All the bug sprays (a few actually do work!).. I just got an email though, that someone said Listerine works wonders.. Spray it around your deck and the window of the house and just the general area you`ll be in, and they`ll stay away.. No idea if it works, but im going to try it..

Someone mentioned a Therma-cell.. They do work! I use one early one during hunting season, otherwise id get carried away, or never see a deer because id be busy swatting skeeters..

fasterblaster09
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
yeh south louisiana ain't the best place to be if you can't stand the 'squitos. im use to them and barely notice them :o

Quad18star
06-02-2009, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Meister649
I live in the middle of the woods as well.. We have a fogger, which as stated before, helps a little bit when your having people over.. All the things you can think of that you light on fire.. All the bug sprays (a few actually do work!).. I just got an email though, that someone said Listerine works wonders.. Spray it around your deck and the window of the house and just the general area you`ll be in, and they`ll stay away.. No idea if it works, but im going to try it..

Someone mentioned a Therma-cell.. They do work! I use one early one during hunting season, otherwise id get carried away, or never see a deer because id be busy swatting skeeters..

Listerine works ..... no joke. It has to be the regular Listerine. I got that email last year and tried it .... it f'ing worked and I was surprised.

stuntin andy
06-02-2009, 05:09 AM
put plates out side with lemon dish washing soap in them .....O.O

destey
06-02-2009, 05:57 AM
I want something I can dump into the ponds or spray in the marshy areas. Something that just kills kills kills :devil:

JLanphear
06-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by destey
I live in Bristol. Its just perfect for atvs :) that is until you stop to take a breather and you start inhaling the mosquitos ;)

how bout you?

I live in Montgomery, way up north, but I have been to Bristol quite a few times.

We haven't got hit too bad with the bugs just yet. We will though.

kawabunga
06-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Mosquitoes are horrible this year by us! I don't know what's different about this year but it's much worse than it was last year, here in mid-Wisconsin.