PDA

View Full Version : 400ex wont start

toasti5
06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
hey everyone im new here, and to quads, my cousin just gave me his beat up 400ex, but it needs some work, ive been puttin parts into it mostly small things for a few weeks now and just got a battery for it, i let it charge all the way up and everything, plugged it in turned the key on and hit the start button, when i hit the start button all it does is make a noise that sounds like a weedwacker or like a really really loud computer fan or something, i dont know what it exactly means but usually on my jetski that means that the battery isnt good but this one is brand new, (its not turning the engine over) does anyone have any suggestions? or know my problem?
Thank you,
toasti

Tommy Warren
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
sounds like maybe the teeth are wore off of your starter gear. take out your starter and check the gear on the end. also you should push start the bike to make sure it isn't seized or something.

toasti5
06-01-2009, 10:16 AM
okay ill go check that and work on getting the rear axle back on so i can do that too thanks.

toasti5
06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
okay so it pop started just fine, so next im gonna take the starter out and see what i can find from there

BakerRacing40
06-01-2009, 03:52 PM
sounds like you got a sweet deal there. a lil time , money , and tlc you'll have a really good bike. remember to take some pics of it now to compare to what it is later on.

cashkeith
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM
hey its prob not the start but it prob deff the STARTER CLUTCH ONE WAY BEARING i have a 460ex and i have to change mine alot

the Z Man
06-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Could be a bad ground wire..