PDA

View Full Version : sparks key question?

bowhuntinrider
06-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey I have a question about the sparks timing advance key, I talked to a local shop and a couple people I know and they all said that it will be hard on my quad and eventully do more harm than good. But when I read on here everyone seems to like it and have good reviews. I want to do some little things to atleast be able to keep up a little better with my friends they have 450s

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2009, 07:58 AM
I am pretty sure that smaller front sprocket makes your slower and the key doesn't make you faster but gets you there quicker imo.
Back to them saying it is hard on it, idk, it probably is because you are making it hotter, push itself harder, and the spark detonate earlier. But this happens with alot of mods.
So in my opinion if you want to be faster you are going to have to sacrifice reliabilty a bit. But hey you can't baby it all its life. Just ride it til something messes up then worry about it and with a HONDA it doesn't usually mess up for a long while.

Eviltanker
06-01-2009, 07:59 AM
I have had no problems with mine. Have it in for 8 months now and still runs great. I feel it's worth it. I do get alittle warmer but nothing crazy.

dunatic
06-01-2009, 08:57 AM
if your concerned, start with the 3 degree key first...tune your carb and see how you like it.

You may also want to add a lightened flywheel as well. both will help with engine acceleration

uchi
06-01-2009, 09:05 AM
smaller front sprocket will make you accelerate faster but you loose top end speed.

as for the sparks key, if your worried run higher octane fuel to accomodate the increase in timing.