PDA

View Full Version : How To Make Standard Travel Into Long Travel??

ppeengines
06-01-2009, 05:41 AM
Does anyone out there know how to take standard travel a arm and make it into a long travel? I am going to pick up today a set of 18.5 inch long travel shocks and have an extra set of +1 standard travel a arms and want to know What the formula would be on doing it. I have a mig and a tig welder and plenty of steel at my disposal to do this. A guy said all you have to do is move it down from 2 inches from the stock position, but in most afermarket long travel a arms you see that the mounts are below the arm itself. The a arms i have are not the gullwing/MGC, they go straight and want to know the formula of how much I should go out and go down for the best setup. I am going to be doing XC riding and a few jumps once in a while. Thanks. I will post some pics of before and after when the whole thing is done.

Scro
06-01-2009, 06:52 AM
You're best bet is to sell your arms, and buy some that are LT. You are going to spend alot of time fabricating, and in the end, your geometry will probably be miles off.

MX450
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes what he said! Also you need to find out what aarms and bike those long travel shocks are that you bought, 18.5 seems short for a 450r, so if you did get a set of long travel a arms, the shocks are not going to work correctly. Get some lt a arms and shocks set up for THOSE a arms, there is ALOT more to shocks than just the length!! Do it right!!!!!!!!

Scro
06-01-2009, 09:22 AM
For XC LT arms, Houser and Ars-Fx both use 18.5-18.75 shocks on the honda.

fastredrider44
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Good advice From both them. Chances are if you hack up a set of std travel arms, to make them long travel, you just ruined a good set of arms.

ppeengines
06-01-2009, 03:17 PM
No doubt I see what you are all talking about. I just picked up a set of KTM 450SX WP long travel front shocks. They are 18.5 inches from eye to eye. So I was going to use an extra set of Burgard +1 standard travel a arms. I have my own shop with all the tools to do this- plasma cutter, mig and tig welders, mills , and cnc lathes. So I have the means to do it at no cost for me, but I just want to know how the process/ measurement that goes in to doing it. Why not? It saves me alot of money then going to go buy new a arms when I can make them myself. You would too if you have the right tools. If anyone has an idea let me know. Here is a picture of the shocks I just picked up. I am doing a budget build for a long travel frontend. Baby on the way.

fastredrider44
06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Are you sharp on trig? Cause that's what you're going to be needing to make sure you have the ratios right. Not to mention those shocks still aren't going to be built, valved and sprung for whatever kind of a arms you come up with. Good luck.

RobRacing
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
You are going to want to know what the leverage ratio of the KTM front end is in order to match the setup of the shock with your 450r. To find the leverage ratio you need to measure the stroke of your a-arms. To do this block up the front of the quad and remove your front tires (make sure you are on a level surface). Remove your front shocks. Now tie up the a-arms so that the eye to eye distance between the shock mounts on the frame and the shock mounts on the a-arms are the same distance as the eye to eye distance on the shock at full extension. Now measure the distance between the the spindle and the ground. (you can pick any point on the spindle just make sure its the same for the next measurement). Right that figure down. Now block up the a-arm so that the distance between the frame and a-arm is equal to the eye to eye distance of the shock fully compressed (without the bumper). Now measure between the spindle and the ground using the same reference point. Right that down. Find the difference of those two measurements. Now do the same for the two shock measurements. Next divide the a-arm value into the shock value and that is your leverage ration.

Example

a-arm: 12"
shock: 6"
leverage ratio: 2.0
Suspension travel=12in

That is the basic formula for creating a front suspension setup.

ppeengines
06-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by RobRacing
You are going to want to know what the leverage ratio of the KTM front end is in order to match the setup of the shock with your 450r. To find the leverage ratio you need to measure the stroke of your a-arms. To do this block up the front of the quad and remove your front tires (make sure you are on a level surface). Remove your front shocks. Now tie up the a-arms so that the eye to eye distance between the shock mounts on the frame and the shock mounts on the a-arms are the same distance as the eye to eye distance on the shock at full extension. Now measure the distance between the the spindle and the ground. (you can pick any point on the spindle just make sure its the same for the next measurement). Right that figure down. Now block up the a-arm so that the distance between the frame and a-arm is equal to the eye to eye distance of the shock fully compressed (without the bumper). Now measure between the spindle and the ground using the same reference point. Right that down. Find the difference of those two measurements. Now do the same for the two shock measurements. Next divide the a-arm value into the shock value and that is your leverage ration.

Example

a-arm: 12"
shock: 6"
leverage ratio: 2.0
Suspension travel=12in

That is the basic formula for creating a front suspension setup.

Hey Thanks for the formula, it is coming in very handy. I talked to a couple suspension shops and was amazed on how much imput they gave me to go about doing this. I wont mention no names but thanks again guys. But I have all the rations of the WP front shocks and here we go. Some Pictures of fit to finish. Will post as I go. Front end When started it was standard travel w/elkas triple rates w/preload and compression.

ppeengines
06-04-2009, 11:16 AM
Getting some measurements for the longer shocks and the ratios down first before any cutting.

ppeengines
06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Got my chromoly steel in. Using 10 guage plate and in a toss up still between 3/4 or 1 inch chromoly round stock to mill out for the mounts.

ppeengines
06-04-2009, 11:21 AM
Got the a arms stripped of the powder coating and getting ready to cut a arm up and plate for the mounts.

Scro
06-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Good luck. It's gonna be interesting to say the least!

fastredrider44
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Scro
Good luck. It's gonna be interesting to say the least!

:blah: Best of luck! Keep us informed.

loons
06-04-2009, 01:32 PM
IfI were you I would just cut the existing tabs off, and use the plate and roundstock to make a boxed mount. You could achieve better leaverage ratios and get better travel. Looks like you are on the right track though. I build my own arms and have for a couple years now. So far everything has been great. You just have to do the math and know how suspension cycles. I've got it down to less than an 1/8" bumpsteer at full compression with the newest arms I just built.

Here's the last set I made.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/desertbound/aarms2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/desertbound/aarms1.jpg

ppeengines
06-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by loons
IfI were you I would just cut the existing tabs off, and use the plate and roundstock to make a boxed mount. You could achieve better leaverage ratios and get better travel. Looks like you are on the right track though. I build my own arms and have for a couple years now. So far everything has been great. You just have to do the math and know how suspension cycles. I've got it down to less than an 1/8" bumpsteer at full compression with the newest arms I just built.

Here's the last set I made.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/desertbound/aarms2.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/desertbound/aarms1.jpg

Wow those are awesome. Hey I got a few questions about yours. What is the stock stroke of the stock Oem 450r front shocks? I just dont feel like ripping mine apart to find out. I know the stroke of my elkas that I had but I wanted to start from what stock is and go from there. I am in the process but still a little weary about my math and what i got. Any help is greatly appreciated.:D

WhiteZee
06-05-2009, 12:58 PM
if you would of just used the money you paid for the WP shocks, you could of had gt thunder set the elkas up for you CORRECTLY, and that would work much better then what your doing now. even if you get the a-arms made, your shocks are still going to work like crap.

WhiteZee
06-05-2009, 12:59 PM
what makes you think long travel will be better then standard? if their both set up correctly, you shouldnt be able to tell a difference.

8my_Cash
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
well i see your a hater white zee..and a horrible arguement. :rolleyes:

The reason for long travel isn't necessarily the increase of wheel travel on the bike but instead the increase in shock adjustability with valving and spring rates. The longer your shck the better valving that a builder can provide to maximize the efficiency of your suspension setup. With standard travel the valving opportunities from the shock builder are limited when compared to the limitations of a long travel shock. So ultimately you will notice a difference in adjustability and suspension efficiency. Which will make adjusting your suspension more precise than a standard travel setup

Also the problems he will run into are not with the shocks because they will valved and setup correctly by any suspension builder. All this requires are spring rates and valving adjustments to compensate for different shock geometry. The problem that he is trying not encounter are the with the arms with leverage ratios. If he cannot create reasonable leverage ratios with his a arms, any shock re-spring or re-valve will not be utilized properly and well in lamen terms......work like a ss

two pointless posts..my two cents on that

Good luck with the project ppeengines :D if i had a tig torch and a nice plazma cutter i would be designing my own a arms for my personal use .

MossboysRacing
06-05-2009, 02:40 PM
All the power to you ppeengines. Im a welder and im currently working on a long travel XC mgc a-arms for my 250r. Being that my brother has derisi arms on his 450r, and my best friend has houser lt on his 400ex, and 400ex and 250r a-arms are near identical, im confident that i will be happy with my results. If your a fabricator and have the skills to do it, go for it!!! Peronally i love explaining custom parts that i did for free, or close to it at races.

ppeengines
06-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MossboysRacing
All the power to you ppeengines. Im a welder and im currently working on a long travel XC mgc a-arms for my 250r. Being that my brother has derisi arms on his 450r, and my best friend has houser lt on his 400ex, and 400ex and 250r a-arms are near identical, im confident that i will be happy with my results. If your a fabricator and have the skills to do it, go for it!!! Peronally i love explaining custom parts that i did for free, or close to it at races.

Thats great on your XC a arms build. It feels good to make stuff with your hands and your mind. I am send you a pm to ask you some questions.

Ya I knew there will be haters, but hey, i own my own business, I have all the tools to do it, ya the math can be difficult to do to get the best results, but if you had the tools and the welding experience to do it , you would TOO. SO WHY ARE THE PROS NOT RUNNING STANDARD TRAVEL "if their both set up correctly, you shouldnt be able to tell a difference." QUOTE UN QUOTE????????????
I had the elkas revalved and resprung to my weight and riding style. It rode like s@@t! Elkas are not my Personal favs. ( Now thats my opinion and mine only, I am not trying to bad mouth elka, I just didnt like the setup, and i am not mentioning who did the work on them, thats not what I am on here to do to bad mouth people and criticize no one like alot do on here) I am on here to help others and to ask for help when needed. The elkas were only compression and preload adjustable. The WP front shocks are compression, high and low speed dampening, preload, and rebound adjustable. And you can get them revalved and resprung and they will be four times better than what I had. And I got a very good deal on them (thanks trx450rbmw) This is a BUDGET BUILD, I have a kid on the way, I have an extra set of a arms to fabricate/ work with. So with a little help from the guys on this forum, I can acheive my goal. I will keep you guys updated with more pics.

So If you guys just want to post some negative trash. Go a head. I just ignore ya and look forward to the guys that want to help and are all for it.

ppeengines
06-10-2009, 01:45 AM
OK I have been busy at work and havent had time to get back to my project. Well I have the plates cut for the bottom. I decided to not have them mount like Housers and Laegers and go with the style Loons did on his a arms. The mount tabs I will be changing from the ones in the picture and I will be adding another cross center thats been milled out for a perfect fit in the center so I can weld the one side of the plate to it for extra strength. I cut the old cross center brace out for it would of been interfering with my shock. I like the idea of the plate on the botttom as it can be used as a skid plate and it only adds a couple extra ounces.

ppeengines
06-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Here is a picture of the frontend a arms suspended by rope from the ceiling so my setting do not move and getting some exact measurements with the shock in place.

ppeengines
06-10-2009, 01:54 AM
Here is a closer pic with the bottom plate welded and the mount are not yet welded yet. this is where I left off at.

RobRacing
06-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Looking good man! I have designed my own a-arms, swingarm and steering stem and everything worked awesome! People don't realize that even Mike walsh started with an idea and a welder!!

ppeengines
06-10-2009, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobRacing
Looking good man! I have designed my own a-arms, swingarm and steering stem and everything worked awesome! People don't realize that even Mike walsh started with an idea and a welder!! [/Q

Hey thanks Robracing for the little boost of confidence. Also thanks a bunch on the info you gave me earlier to get the frontend ratio's. I wouldnt be posting nothing yet if you didnt help me. I am trying to make it nice and beefy underneath it for all the rough riding that I do on my quad. Wow you do your own swingarms too, thats some serious fabricating that take a ton of abuse. But I will be posting some more tomorrow night.

NAZ450r
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
wow i didnt think that it would be coming along this nice good job :muscle:

ppeengines
06-12-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by NAZ450r
wow i didnt think that it would be coming along this nice good job :muscle:

Hey thanks NAZ450r! I am trying my best to get them done, but all of my customers are keeping me busy working on their quads and also I do tattoos on the side of my shop and one guy hit me up for three of them so my spare time has been shot lately to work on mine. Here are some pics of the tattoos

ppeengines
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
and another one. I am a jack of all trades and I am all about making money so my stuff has to wait. But it looks sick.

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Where the cross brace was that had the old mounts for standard travel was cut off, the grinded down and then sanded so you cant even tell it was welded there before. Where the " X" isin marker is where the cross brace once was.

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 03:11 PM
This is a shot with the mounts moved and welded back up with their new location.

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Front shot with shock

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 03:19 PM
I picked this up last night to compliment the front end. Thanks coryatver!!!

andrew450r
06-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Looks really nice. Thoses shocks look pretty sick

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 04:17 PM
is it just me or is the shocks on the wrong side, if its like on the r's, the little screw adjustmeant should be on the back, dont effect function, things like that just bug me.:D

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
is it just me or is the shocks on the wrong side, if its like on the r's, the little screw adjustmeant should be on the back, dont effect function, things like that just bug me.:D

Your right atvnut22, I just grabbed the closet shock in my reach at the time to mount and snap a picture. Good eye. Still have the other side to weld up, clean them up then off to powder coating. Thank andrew450r for the compliment. Cant wait to try them out.

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 04:38 PM
yea, stuff like that bugs me, haha, but it looks nice, ur doin a good job, i think its great when people build their own parts, i bought my old 300ex off of my friend, i think hes chad41d on here maybe, and it had a custom 1 1/4 inch longer swinger, ill show some pics how it ended up after i got it

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
yea, stuff like that bugs me, haha, but it looks nice, ur doin a good job, i think its great when people build their own parts, i bought my old 300ex off of my friend, i think hes chad41d on here maybe, and it had a custom 1 1/4 inch longer swinger, ill show some pics how it ended up after i got it

OOOOOOOUUUUUCCCCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!

What in god's name happened there? I seen cracked swingerarms befor but it loolks like the housing mount broke right off from the swingarm arms. That would be my guess from the pictures

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 04:47 PM
after takin it off

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 04:53 PM
after takin it off

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
after takin it off

Wow! that just straight sucks. What type of steal was it made out of? Chromoly it the way to go, and it costs a fortune, but its well worth it. your not gonna try to reweld that are you? I dont think you will be able to get it back to true straightness.
Best of luck with that.

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 05:05 PM
no, we was out ridin on the farm one day, and id been ridin pretty rough, just couldnt land nuthin right, so i headed home, and was puttin around the yard, and my chain popped of, i didnt think nuttin of it, put it back on, went to whip it around on the hill by my road, and when i came out of the turn , with my bars all the way to the right, i was rollin straight, so i looked down, and my left tire was about and inch from my nerf. it was so fubar, i just got a used stock swinger and put that on. heres the bike. this was taken about 5 minutes after it happened

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 05:25 PM
no, we was out ridin on the farm one day, and id been ridin pretty rough, just couldnt land nuthin right, so i headed home, and was puttin around the yard, and my chain popped of, i didnt think nuttin of it, put it back on, went to whip it around on the hill by my road, and when i came out of the turn , with my bars all the way to the right, i was rollin straight, so i looked down, and my left tire was about and inch from my nerf. it was so fubar, i just got a used stock swinger and put that on. heres the bike. this was taken about 5 minutes after it happened

No doubt, when you were not landing right, it must have been taking a TON of stress on it. Ya I know sh@@ happens. I almost had a bad mishap when I was practicing for my first GNCC race last year for Sommerset. I was going balls to the wall and I felt someting hit my ankle while i was riding, thinkin nothing of it, thought it might have been a stick wedged in the frame or something. I kept going and I kept feeling it, so I broke my pace to look down and here it was my singarm pivot bolt sticking 4inches out/coming out. I was like Oh sh@@!! so I took a rock and hammered it in and rode 2mph the whole way home. I was lucky i caught it, the nut came off and i even red loctite it too. So we both learned the hard way to go over the littlest things.

atvnut22
06-13-2009, 10:01 PM
ya, i wasnt to worried about, now its my bike that i piddle fart around on, or my friends ride when they come over, i stick to the 450 nowadays

ppeengines
06-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Heck ya 450 is the ticket for race quads. The other day i finally took a rip on a customers ktm 5050sx. :eek2: !! wow does that baby scream. It makes me want to trade in my 09 R1 in on one. Wll not that bad but it will be the next quad I invest in if Honda dont blow me away in the next year or two. I should have the a arms finished tomorrow night and have a couple more pics posted.

ppeengines
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Ok both a arms are welded up, off to poweder coating tomorrow, but not until I take a test ride on it during work. I have a couple more Items That are coming in the mail, new hood, brake line clamps, Rear ITP rims and when she is all back together I will post some more pics.

ppeengines
06-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Also got on the gt thunder xc link. Wow what a difference when i held it up to the stock link. How much lower is going to make my seat height drop?

born2ride14
06-16-2009, 12:37 PM
That looks awesome man! props to you!!!

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Here we go a few shots before i have it all finished. I still have to install new front marier hood, new ITP rims, new chain n sprockets, put on engine skid, modify rear skid for gt thunder xc link, fabricate airbox risers, powder coat a arms, and start adjusting the front shocks. Took it for a rip and holy Sh:eek: :eek: !! EWHAT A PLUSH RIDE SO FAR, AND I KNOW IT WILL BE BETTER. After i get it all done i will post a finished rebuild shot. and thanks for watching and all the help you guys gave me and tohe vote of confidence. I just wish work wouldnt of interfered but thats what gets us all the mods.

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
another

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
ooops forgot to add a picture to that last post.

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
couple more

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:28 PM
some more

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
last one for now. let me know what you think.

andrew450r
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Looks really nice!! How do you like your gt linkage. I just bought one but havent put it on yet....

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by andrew450r
Looks really nice!! How do you like your gt linkage. I just bought one but havent put it on yet....

holy cow did you reply quick, i just posted the pics a minute ago. I only got to take it around the shop for about ten minutes but it felt great so far. Still need to dial everything in, but you can feel the difference. I would put yours on asap.

andrew450r
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ppeengines
holy cow did you reply quick, i just posted the pics a minute ago. I only got to take it around the shop for about ten minutes but it felt great so far. Still need to dial everything in, but you can feel the difference. I would put yours on asap.

Haha I want to put it on but i dont have a press to seal the bearing and such. Im thinking about sending it out to gt thunder and having them do it.
BTW who do you like the exhaust? Its looks good on your quad!

ppeengines
06-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Haha I want to put it on but i dont have a press to seal the bearing and such. Im thinking about sending it out to gt thunder and having them do it.
BTW who do you like the exhaust? Its looks good on your quad!

I have customers all the time asking me to get them stuff and when i get it they back out. So i get stuck with it. Oh well i did a little modification to it and it works real good with the hrc head pipe. Also what r you talking about the xc link you said "but i dont have a press to seal the bearing and such. Im thinking about sending it out to gt thunder and having them do it. " What do you mean by? To put the new bearings in? I have shown guys with a bubbed mallet and the exact size socket as the OD of the bearing with super care you can install the bearings yourself. But i know alot of people dont have a press, i do but its not really that hard, but if you dont feel comfortable doing it then have someone do it.

HBRIG014
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
NICE BUILD MAN... A-ARMS LOOK GOOD.

andrew450r
06-17-2009, 05:04 AM
I have customers all the time asking me to get them stuff and when i get it they back out. So i get stuck with it. Oh well i did a little modification to it and it works real good with the hrc head pipe. Also what r you talking about the xc link you said "but i dont have a press to seal the bearing and such. Im thinking about sending it out to gt thunder and having them do it. " What do you mean by? To put the new bearings in? I have shown guys with a bubbed mallet and the exact size socket as the OD of the bearing with super care you can install the bearings yourself. But i know alot of people dont have a press, i do but its not really that hard, but if you dont feel comfortable doing it then have someone do it.

I tryed to take them out with a hammer and a socket and they were in there really good. There werent even budgeing.
Do you have to take the seals off frist or somthing?

duke416ex
06-17-2009, 07:44 AM
You have to take the seals out and then there is a circlip on each side of the bearing that has to be removed before the bearing will come out. You just have to take out which ever side you are wanting to push the bearing out though.

ppeengines
06-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by duke416ex
You have to take the seals out and then there is a circlip on each side of the bearing that has to be removed before the bearing will come out. You just have to take out which ever side you are wanting to push the bearing out though.

Where is there a circlip? What is andrew450r talkin about? I thought he was talking about a gt thunder xc link. It sounds like you are talking about the front a arms with the cirlips holding the center bearing in where the a arms mount to the frame. I could be the one in the wrong but i thought he was talking about the linkage. Or is there some in the gt thunde link too? I bought mine used but the bearings were in great shape and i repacked them with grease. They should be just like the stock inkage, press them in and put the seals in, then slide the bushing in.

fastredrider44
06-17-2009, 09:01 AM
With the xc linkage, I'm surprised you haven't noticed how soft the rear is. I put my link on before getting a rebuilt shock on, and it was so soft it was nearly un rideable. My rebuilt shock has a slightly longer shaft (Shims have been moved to make it a little longer, stock shft) and a MUCH stiffer spring (375). It rode decent. Now I have a differen't shock with a 425 spring coming in the mail. I asked Laz at GT Thunder about a xc link with stock rear shock and he said at minimum it would need to be re-sprung.

fastredrider44
06-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Where is there a circlip? What is andrew450r talkin about? I thought he was talking about a gt thunder xc link. It sounds like you are talking about the front a arms with the cirlips holding the center bearing in where the a arms mount to the frame. I could be the one in the wrong but i thought he was talking about the linkage. Or is there some in the gt thunde link too? I bought mine used but the bearings were in great shape and i repacked them with grease. They should be just like the stock inkage, press them in and put the seals in, then slide the bushing in.

The linkage just has needle bearing pressed in place, and yes, the seals need to come out first. The a-arms have circlips that have to come out if you are replacing them, and its kinda a pain for the first time.

ppeengines
06-17-2009, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fastredrider44
The linkage just has needle bearing pressed in place, and yes, the seals need to come out first. The a-arms have circlips that have to come out if you are replacing them, and its kinda a pain for the first time. [/QUO

Thats what I thought with the link. What is duke416ex talkin about then. Ya just pop the seals off and press or tap the bearing out. Its not that hard. I wouldnt mail it out to have it done. Go to a local auto garage and ask them to press it out if you dont have the tools and have them put the new one in. they can have it done in five minutes or less and you wont have no long down time on your quad and can be riding the same day.

andrew450r
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I was talking about the linkage BTW. Ill bring it to an auto shop today and get it done.

ppeengines
06-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I was talking about the linkage BTW. Ill bring it to an auto shop today and get it done.

Glad I could help. Hey this is a picture of the new hood i decided to get for my quad. Its made by Fourwerx and its called the Stealth III. ITS SWEET AS HECK!! Well I already have a Maier white front hood that should be here in the next day or so in the mail. I will more then likely sell the marier hood. Its a white vented racing hood that I paid 56$ for plus shippin and I will sell it for 55$ shipped, no less.

ppeengines
06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Well thanks everyone for all the help and support through this build. It wouldnt have been done right without the correct info. The ride is like night and day since the last time i rode it with the elkas.My shocks will be back tomorrow for being set up for my weight and riding style and i have a new Precision Pro stabilizer on its way. I will have some pics up in the next day or so with the new powder coated a arms. So here is a list of what has been done so far.

08 450ER

Chassis | Suspension | Controls:

Frame:Modified with My own PPE gusset plates under the engine and tank
A Arms: PPE long travel +1
Swingarm: Stock
Steering Stem: Stock with a Modquad 1 1/8inch clamp +1 inch PPE rubber mounted risers
Stbilizer:Precision on its way
Axle:Stock
Carrier:Baldwin Billet twin row
Locknut:Stock
Hubs F|R:Stock
Bars: Fast Flexx bars 14degree
Throttle/Clutch Lever:Stock Throttle with modified PPE spring and MSR quick adj clutch lever
Grips: Pro Taper pillow tops
Nerfs:None
Bumper: PRM Baja
Grab Bar: Stock
Front Shocks:WP compression, rebound preload, and high n low dampening revalved resprung for my weight
Rear Shock: Stock with GT THUNDER 230lb spring and GT Thunder XC link
Skid plate: PRM .250 rear skid, Full Armidillo engine skid
Brake Lines:Steamline steel braided with PPE billet brake line clamps
Rotors F|R:Stock and Galfer
Rims F|R:ITP
Tires F|R:Holeshot HD and Kenda XCR

Body:

Plastic:Stock
Graphics|Seat Cover:Metal Mulisha and Blingstar
Number Backgrounds:
Handguards: Polisport
Bar Pad:Fast Flexx
Fuel Tank:Stock
Hood: Quadtech Carbon fiber low profile

Engine|Drive System:

Cylinder|Head:Max Power Stealth cylinder with a PPE stage 2 PORT N POLISH, Baldwin crf titanium +1 valves, spings, valve guides, retainers, and valve seals.
Crank: Max Power
Pistin: Max Power
Bore & Stroke:100x66.4
Displacement:521.5cc
Cam:Hotcam stage 3
Carburetor:PPE modified 42mm fcr with R&D power bowl with R&D Flexible fuel screw, Powernow Plus
Air Filter|Box:UNI filter and cage with Uni crank case breather filter and Uni 1inch vent total of 9
Pipe|Silencer:HRC head pipe with a modified LEXX slipon
Clutch|Plates:Hinson clutch basket, hinson pressure plate and inner hub, and hinson clutch plates
Gearing F|R:14/36 Sidewinder Ti Moly sprockets and Smart Chain II
CDI|Killswitch:HRC sub harness, +1000rpm, Dynamax high output coil and Pro Design tether
Cooling: Engine Ice, CV4 radiator hoses, Mod quad impeller
Other:Moose foot peg extenders/kickups, PPE billet air box risers, complete Pivot works bearings throught the entire quad, moose gaskets and seals, adjustable cam chain gear, Bladwin fat brake pedal , GSXR 600 battery for better cranking amps.

ppeengines
07-02-2009, 04:59 AM
Decided not to go with the Fourwerx hood even though it looks bad*****, cuz I got a sweet package deal on a set of flexx bars and a quadtech hood. Here is a picture of them. Been too busy at the shop to put the new powdercoated a arms and snap some pictures but I will get them on soon enough. Thanks for checkin out my thread.:D

07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
i think you should pc the frame and wheels and then it will look 10 times better. how many hoods are you gonna buy?

ppeengines
07-02-2009, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
i think you should pc the frame and wheels and then it will look 10 times better. how many hoods are you gonna buy?

Ya i am gonna powder coat the frame this winter, it needs it bad. And the hoods i keep changing my mind, order one and find a different one. Oh well its always nice to have a backup one or two in case i decide to do a different color scheme. Already have a set of new black ITP rims I havent mounted tires on yet.

born2ride14
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Man yo better get all your parts on!

ppeengines
07-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by 300maniac
Man yo better get all your parts on!

Man I have been so dang busy working on other peoples quads and I have not had the time to work on my own. Heck i still have to put on ITP black rims, g force axle, new ECA throttle cover, brake line clamps, percision pro stabilizer, GT Thunder rear shock spring kit, air box risers, new starter brushes, mount my prm skid that i just modified for the GT Thunder xc link, and bottom a arms. By the time I get everything done It will be snowing here in PA and I will be taking it all back apart to do the frame. And during all this I am drawing up my own Graphixs for my cousin who owns Fourth Floor Graphics. They are gonna be crazy. go to www.fourthfloorgraphics.com and check out some of his stuff. Within two weeks everything should be done.

ppeengines
07-12-2009, 06:33 AM
Got the aarms back on and she is ready to ride. Still havent got the grapgics drawn up but will get to them soon. Went with royal blue powder coat for the a arms and motor mounts. I will be adding a touch of blue through my quad and by winter the frame will be all blue. Thanks guys for checking this thread out. I enjoyed all the feedback from you guys and not its back to building my trx500r in my other thread. Give me some feedback on the 500r on what to do and what not to do if you have had some knowledge on this type of build. Thanks

BadinBlack
07-13-2009, 09:21 AM
your a-arms came out good!

i also done this mod on my alba +2 ST. i converted them to LT to fit my 20.5 LT TCS shocks... here are some pics... oh and btw LT works a lot better the ST. i've had them both and i love the way my bike runs with these shocks.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/BadinBlack/bike%20pics/longtraveltcs20-1.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/BadinBlack/bike%20pics/longtraveltcs20.jpg

ppeengines
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Awesome job BadinBlack!! Nice clean work. After I get this trx500r project done I will be making a set of MGC a arms from scratch like ARSFX OR ATV FOURPLAY. I have a enough chromoly tubing to do it.

BadinBlack
07-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Awesome job BadinBlack!! Nice clean work. After I get this trx500r project done I will be making a set of MGC a arms from scratch like ARSFX OR ATV FOURPLAY. I have a enough chromoly tubing to do it.
thanks for the compliment!

let see how those MGC a-arms come out, i'd like to see them for sure...