PDA

View Full Version : Got walked by a stock 08 LTZ 400?????

muad
05-31-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok,

So my little brother's friend came over with his 08 LTZ400. Bone stock with the baffle taken out of this exhaust. Not sure if he was running an open airbox or not. Kid was about 5'11", 15X pds.

My bike is an 06 400ex, two brothers slip-on, Quad Works Power Up kit (K&N filter and unknown jets).

I about 6'3", 230 pds.

Seems like I'd get the hit, then he'd walk me and put about a bike length on my by about 65-70.

I'm kind of depressed over this, LOL

Thoughts?

Ryan'07400ex
05-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Thoughts? [/B][/QUOTE]

turn his gas off. change sprokets or get fuel injection :blah:

muad
05-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
Thoughts?

turn his gas off. change sprokets or get fuel injection :blah: [/B][/QUOTE]

my buddy said something about the sprockets as well.

I dunno, I didn't buy this thing to race, but when you're use to beating most anything with your toy, it's hard not to get a little irritated.

It also seemed like my quad was breaking up a bit at higher rpms.

Is there anything other than idle that can be adjusted on the carb? Maybe I need to tune it a bit for this fuel (94. oct. sunoco).

matt14c
05-31-2009, 09:13 PM
Get a $20 sparks key and a 450r carb then ask if he wants to run again!

81 clark racing
05-31-2009, 09:14 PM
breaking up at high rpms is prob your jetting is wrong

racer 557
05-31-2009, 09:19 PM
isnt that 400 fuel injected tho

muad
05-31-2009, 09:20 PM
I've been reading the 450 carb posts, however I'm not sure I want to deal with some of the issues assosiated with running that carb (relocating the vent, choke lever fitment, plugging the hotstart, etc.)

Would the sparks key still be beneficial?

Also, how can i achieve proper jetting? All parts were installed by my local shop when the previous owner bought the quad new. I bought it with "55 hours" on it, according to the meter, which was installed shortly after the purchase (I have all the invoices from our shop showing the installs, services, etc.)

Does anyone know what jets are in the Quad Works power-up kit? I looked on their site and it didn't seem to specify.

crixal
05-31-2009, 09:50 PM
ltz 400s are just faster than the 400ex. his bike stock is making more power than yours w/ the slip on and filter. plus, you weigh a lot more.

RIDEREDson
06-01-2009, 12:34 AM
plus z400's are liquid cooled. Thus making it a more higher revving motor. I got beat by a stock one too on a drag so don't feel bad. I'd always get the jump and first few gears but they have more mid to top end.

RNCC400EX
06-01-2009, 06:41 AM
My brother has a z400 that he liked to boast about. I bought my 426ex for $1500, his was a leftover demo bike for $4000. I walked the dog on him first time we raced, haven't been able to race since, damn swingarm locked up.

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2009, 07:49 AM
If you really want to stay about even, because this probably wont get you ahead but get the sparks key and a 15 tooth sprocket on front and maybe smaller on back. In my mind I see the key making up for that bit of accel. lost with the different sprockets but you would get about 2 - 4 mph on top speed. Hopefully that key will get you there faster, it feels like that what it did for me. (does that sound right everybody?)
This is probably the cheapest way and shouldn't sacrafice reliability like boring and all.

Ryan'07400ex
06-01-2009, 07:53 AM
[i]Originally posted by muad [/

I dunno, I didn't buy this thing to race, but when you're use to beating most anything with your toy, it's hard not to get a little irritated.

[/B]

Yea me to, I was gonna leave it all stock, except tires when i needed them but of course after I got a sport 4 of my friends bought 400ex's. I can beat them off and on but stilll need to add more mods. I beat my buddies 06 z400 but hey maybe that fuel injection does something (maybe driver?). Then theres my other friend with a craptor 700 and I have no chance so I just tip my hat to him haha.

dariusld
06-01-2009, 09:32 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]

It also seemed like my quad was breaking up a bit at higher rpms.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Sure thats not the rev limiter?

Tommy Warren
06-01-2009, 09:38 AM
If you really want to stay about even, because this probably wont get you ahead but get the sparks key and a 15 tooth sprocket on front and maybe smaller on back. In my mind I see the key making up for that bit of accel. lost with the different sprockets but you would get about 2 - 4 mph on top speed. Hopefully that key will get you there faster, it feels like that what it did for me. (does that sound right everybody?)
This is probably the cheapest way and shouldn't sacrafice reliability like boring and all.

If you go with this setup your probably gonna be able to keep up with him on the top end but if you change the sprockets like ryan stated your probably gonna get chewed up off the line. just my .02

muad
06-01-2009, 10:32 AM

I'm going to order the sparks key today. I thought the stock sprocket was 15?

Thanks for the help. I don't want to lose low end, as I don't plan on dragging this thing all the time. I would rather have the low end grunt for the trails, etc.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This sparks key seems like a great "bang for your buck" item.

Also, to the one who asked about the rev limiter, it's possible that's what it was. I'm going to ring her out next time I get a chance and see if it does it again.

katch26
06-01-2009, 10:36 AM
the newer ones come stock with the 14.....no offense but you need more power to haul the extra 80lbs around. Just for fun you should try switching bikes and see what happens

muad
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by katch26
the newer ones come stock with the 14.....no offense but you need more power to haul the extra 80lbs around. Just for fun you should try switching bikes and see what happens

That or lose some weight, LOL.

Snipe
06-01-2009, 10:55 AM
It wasnt the rev a pretty much stock bike wont touch the rev in 5th gear.

It was jetting your jetting is fubar you need to prob go a bit smaller. What happens a two big of jet when hitting high RPMS it sucks all the gas out of the bowl and then it starts spitting and sputtering and it sucks. I had this happen once.

400 to 400 the EX will beat the Z stock trust me.

Yes the older 99 to 04 has a 15 stock tooth you can buy a 16 tooth have heard of ppl going as high as 18 but its super tight to get them to fit.

I went up a tooth size it didnt affect bottom end that much but it is noticable.

Just get yours jetted right and you will be fine. The one thing that is hurting you is the weight issue.

muad
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Snipe

It was jetting your jetting is fubar you need to prob go a bit smaller. What happens a two big of jet when hitting high RPMS it sucks all the gas out of the bowl and then it starts spitting and sputtering and it sucks. I had this happen once.

Yes the older 99 to 04 has a 15 stock tooth you can buy a 16 tooth have heard of ppl going as high as 18 but its super tight to get them to fit.

I went up a tooth size it didnt affect bottom end that much but it is noticable.

Just get yours jetted right and you will be fine. The one thing that is hurting you is the weight issue.

There we go with the weight thing again, LOL. I'm going to starve myself now

/sarcasm

I'm still happy with my purchase. He has $5700 in his, and it's all beat up. I've got $2800 in mine, and it almost looks brand new, and it's 2 years older.

Thanks for all the info and comment. I'm buying a membership to balleys tomorrow, ROFL

dariusld
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Snipe

I hate when people on here have a definate answer for a problem. Did you read his thread? He used the term" breaking up" thats not sputtering. Where does he say anything about 5th gear, I might have missed something? Have you ridden his bike? I like "it could be this or that", not " this is what it is" and I'm 3000 miles away.

Snipe
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I hate when people on here have a definate answer for a problem. Did you read his thread? He used the term" breaking up" thats not sputtering. Where does he say anything about 5th gear, I might have missed something? Have you ridden his bike? I like "it could be this or that", not " this is what it is" and I'm 3000 miles away.

Yes I read the entire post, from bikes I have owned that is what it sounds like to me. Other suggested the same thing so why not harrass them as well?

And if your drag racing a quad and you dont touch 5th gear then that is prob why you lost lmao.

As far as what "term" he used everyone use's dif terms for the same thing. So yes the way he described it to me it seems like jetting issue not the rev limiter. So please school (YOURSELF) on the topic at hand and not ***** at others.

As far as the weight thing man dont sweat it im around the same height and same weight we all cant be 5ft and weight 120 lol.

05trx300ex
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by racer 557
isnt that 400 fuel injected tho

The 08's are not fuel injected, the 09's are.

crixal
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
snipe, i would like to some proof that the ex outs runs the z stock. i would rather have an ex over a z, but the z is faster.

Snipe
06-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by crixal
snipe, i would like to some proof that the ex outs runs the z stock. i would rather have an ex over a z, but the z is faster.

No video sorry, look up both stats not going to argue with kids over what is faster and all that Bull sh*t not worth my time. I could show you all dyno sheets and it still wouldnt matter so please believe what you want.

As far as helping you have my thoughts on it.

BEAVER.989
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Are we comparing stock to stock? If that's the case, I'm sorry, but the Z is faster... Wouldn't want to own one, but it is a little faster.

UnderFire
06-01-2009, 05:36 PM
do the new 400's have the rev limiter? if they do, pick up a cdi box to over ride it.

dobber21
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
an aftermarket cdi wont do much for u unless u have some more mods, i have a full yosh exhaust, KN filter, 170 jet and a cdi that raises 1000 rpms but if u dont have more engine mods to give u more power then a cdi wont do much cuz ur power basically drops off abouit where ur stock limiter is, mine just stops going faster so a cdi on a stock 400 doesnt do u a whole lot of good.
just my .02

06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by muad
Ok,

So my little brother's friend came over with his 08 LTZ400. Bone stock with the baffle taken out of this exhaust. Not sure if he was running an open airbox or not. Kid was about 5'11", 15X pds.

My bike is an 06 400ex, two brothers slip-on, Quad Works Power Up kit (K&N filter and unknown jets).

I about 6'3", 230 pds.

Seems like I'd get the hit, then he'd walk me and put about a bike length on my by about 65-70.

I'm kind of depressed over this, LOL

Thoughts?

Honestly, I think it may be rider.

The one guy down by my house had a z400, 2005, completely stock with the baffle removed. He's a decent rider too, probably about equal to me. At the time, I just had the exhaust and filter, otherwise stock. I'm about the same size and weight as you, and he weighed a lot less.
When we both started to race down the stretch on the field, He jumped me in first gear, and then we were about dead even with me slightly pulling him.

Now that I got the sparks key, I haven't got to race him because he sold it a while back.

TCracin440ex
06-02-2009, 01:32 AM
i didnt read all the posts but im suprized somebody aint said "sell it and get a 450" lol

all joking aside the z400 does have more topend the 400ex lacks in. with a faster reving motor. straight line dont mean nothing. the one with the better machine will always win.

now if you can ride better them him run him thru the woodz or on a mx track. ive always thought the 400ex handled better then the z400. my buddy had a z400 and i had my 400ex and he would get me by a fender if that on a drag but on a track i would burn his *** alive.

RIDEREDson
06-02-2009, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by crixal

This is true. A stock Z400 would hang with me everytime and Im piped w/ air filter and a 13t sprocket. They're a tad faster. We were neck and neck the whole time. They got more mid-top end.