PDA

View Full Version : Eliminating bulky starter button box

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2009, 05:31 PM
okay so it's turning over just fine with my YZ kill as a starter button now but i have a question as far as the off/run/off switch. if i want to eliminate that altogether, do i leave the two wires that were connected to it un-spliced or splice them together?

BakerRacing40
05-31-2009, 07:07 PM
what bike you have?

SET THE STAGE
05-31-2009, 07:45 PM
it's a 300ex. is switch different on the others?

BakerRacing40
05-31-2009, 08:22 PM
it honestly shouldn't be . it should be built with the fail safe in mind. on my yfz i took the the lights/start/kill switch off, unplugged it at the connector and cut the harness so that i'd just plug back into the factory harness wrapped tape around each head light wire to prevent a short, the two wires for the kill switch wired together and taped them and then wired my new push button to my start button wires. taped them all together and plugged back into the stock harness. to know what wire is what take the stock box apart and look at it or if you have a ohm meter or multimeter just use it to figure out what wires do what. and what i like about the way i did it is if i wanted to put head lights and stuff back on just get a new box with the harness and plug back in or just use connectors and use what i got..

John451
06-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, if you took the igniton off, be very sure to make it so none of the wires are loose, on my 300 the last guy cut the ignition out and light off and just taped them and the start button wire was touching the frame so as soon as i put the battery on the quad started turning over and crashed into my garage door hahahah.. but i rewired everything and soldered / heat shunk everything. But now it lost spark lol. gota sort that out.. it was right after i swapped the clutch cover but it turns over.. I'm planning on making the quad as bare bones as i can for racing.. I'm about 1 gear away from converting it to kick start instead of electric which takes about 25 lbs off of the quad.

SET THE STAGE
06-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by John451
Yeah, if you took the igniton off, be very sure to make it so none of the wires are loose, on my 300 the last guy cut the ignition out and light off and just taped them and the start button wire was touching the frame so as soon as i put the battery on the quad started turning over and crashed into my garage door hahahah.. but i rewired everything and soldered / heat shunk everything. But now it lost spark lol. gota sort that out.. it was right after i swapped the clutch cover but it turns over.. I'm planning on making the quad as bare bones as i can for racing.. I'm about 1 gear away from converting it to kick start instead of electric which takes about 25 lbs off of the quad.

yeah i made sure everything was covered real well. got those crush crimp thingers for every wire and put tape over those.

the off/run/off switch ended up having to be spliced together to keep it running, just for a little fyi if anyone else is wanting to do this.

when you get that kickstart figured out, you should PM me and let me know everything you had to do. i've always wanted to do it to mine but don't have the time or money. i might just gather the parts needed and take it to my nearest legit shop haha

John451
06-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by SET THE STAGE
yeah i made sure everything was covered real well. got those crush crimp thingers for every wire and put tape over those.

the off/run/off switch ended up having to be spliced together to keep it running, just for a little fyi if anyone else is wanting to do this.

when you get that kickstart figured out, you should PM me and let me know everything you had to do. i've always wanted to do it to mine but don't have the time or money. i might just gather the parts needed and take it to my nearest legit shop haha

Yeah, i only need like 1 or 2 gears, the 300ex motor is exactly the same one as a 250x motor but the 250 has a different cylinder and wiring harness, and it doesnt have the electric start.. But the way i was gona set mine up i was going to have the electric start and kick start. I have 2 side covers from the 250x if anyone needs one. But i got the kick starter and the kick starter gear but when i went to put it in it wasnt touching anything and i looked in and i guess there are 2 other gears that i need to put in under the clutch which noone is selling and are $150 new on bikebandit. I mainly wanted to switch because my electric start didnt work but then i snagged one off ebay for $40 but i have a built motor so it's bored to a 350 with 12:1 wiseco piston, stage 2 hotcam, full white bros pipe. I can't even jump start it in the dirt i have to use pavement lol. And the electric start barely turns it. so i wanted kick lol. but it doesnt have spark for some reason =[

SET THE STAGE
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
word. i'm probably just going to grab a complete 250x bottomend and drop it off at a shop along with my 300. i stopped by today and they told me if everything aligned like it should (and it obviously would) it would take maybe 2 hours for them to do