PDA

View Full Version : To shim, or not to shim?

BEAVER.989
05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm getting ready to install my HMF Sport Series slip-on and Sparks foam filter. I've seen jetting recommendations that are all over the map and want to get this right with the least amount of fuss.

HMF suggests placing a .032 shim under the needle "if needed". How do I know if it's needed? It seems to me that if I'm going to be adjusting the main, pilot and air screw, I'd almost have to make a needle adjustment, as well. Right?

I have both 152 and 155 mains along with a 40 and 42 pilot at my disposal. Shims aren't a problem, either. My motor is otherwise stock and I plan to keep the airbox lid. I'm at about 700' above sea level and riding temperatures will be 60-90 degrees.

I hate to ask another jetting question since this forum is littered with them, but like I said, advice is all over the map. I live in town and can't just slap it together, run it and check the plug. I have to trailer my quad to ride it and it's gonna be a pain to jet it, put it together, trailer it to a riding area for a quick run, then trailer it back and tear it apart again to re-jet.

I've bought very common parts for a very common quad and live in an area where a bunch of you guys do. Surely someone has already ran this set-up in my neck of the woods and can tell me what I need to run... A guy can hope, can't he?

To anyone who read this whole post, Thank You. I didn't mean to run on and on. :)

jrafter
05-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Iwas wondering this samething

I had it jetted with a 152 and 42 pilot jet

BEAVER.989
05-31-2009, 02:30 PM
How does your's run?

I guess I'm going to shim the needle per their recommendation... Even though they don't always recommend it, they do recommend dropping one position on the 99-04's, so I guess it's all the same.

I'm just a little put off by the fact that they say "if needed"... That and the fact that the 99-04 has a different carb, which I thought would require different jetting.

jrafter
05-31-2009, 02:38 PM
mine runs great i was just wanting to play with the carb and see if i could get it to run better.

as far as the 99-04s having a diff carb i dont know ....i just though the needle was adjustable and thats it.

i need to get some shims....someone said radioshack had little washer that will work.

i need to get may manual.