PDA

View Full Version : Thunder newb ??

elliotsthunder
05-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi all,

Boy am I glad I found this forum!

My sons thunder has recently stopped running.

I put a few plugs in and it's fouling them instantly.

Just Prior too it not running, it really, REALLY was smoking. So much that it wasn't rideable. So for some reason I disassembled the oil injection and mixed a tank of fuel. It smoked less, but it was loading up still, until it eventually stopped running.

I popped the carb off, and everything appears to look normal. I cleaned the carb, looked at the floats, they look clean and empty.

Unfortunately I am not sure where the air fuel mixture should be set, I thought it was 1.5 turns out, but the carb is just dumping a ton of fuel into the cylinder with each kick. I've gone down to 1 turn, back up to 2 turns....no difference.

This Thunder also has the electric choke, which I'm not a fan of.

So any help would be great! And appreciated by a little boy who wants his quad back :scary:

vindell
06-02-2009, 03:41 AM
try removing the spark arrestor.

oldyeller
06-02-2009, 10:15 PM
The electric chokes cause lots of problems..It sounds like yours may be stuck in the on position..I would also check the needle and seat in the carb and make sure you don't have some dirt hanging the needle open..You can also try turning off the fuel at the petcock and keep restarting the engine till you get it cleaned out...Don't worry about the smoke it will clean out once all the oil burns out of the exhaust pipe..

elliotsthunder
06-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Okay, I rebuilt the carb lastnight, found some particulate matter floating around in the bowl.

Reset the air/fuel to 1 full turn out, smokes like crazy and it would stumble and stall upon throttle up.

I backed the a/f screw in another 1/2 turn and could get a little more throttle out of it, but it wouls still stumble and full throttle, so I turned the a/f in another 1/4 turn and it appears to be running much more crisp.

It's still smoking, but as mentioned, there may be oil in the exhaust pipe. I can live with a little smoke as long as it runs.

We have been "testing" it out in the backyard today, and all seems well at the moment.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Does anyone know where can I purchase a manual choke kit for this bike?

oldyeller
06-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I believe you can get them right on the eton america website...I would also install a good inline fuel filter if you don't have one to help catch that debris you were talking about..There may be more in the gas tank..