View Full Version : Money Orders..

Kickstarts-suck
05-30-2009, 11:27 PM
So im buying a supercharger for my Lightning and got 2 Money Orders for $1500 and was just wondering how safe sending that much money through the mail would be.. Anyone ever sent that much through the mail?

Only reason I don't want to do Paypal is because of the fees.

Any safer alternatives?

powermadd400ex
05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
ive received money orders through the mail and all was fine in my experiences but never that much $ :eek:
never sent one out though

Kickstarts-suck
05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by powermadd400ex
ive received money orders through the mail and all was fine in my experiences but never that much $ :eek:
never sent one out though

Ive sent small M.O.s before and never had a problem.. Just don't want to chance it with that much money.

powermadd400ex
05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
then weigh your options.
if it was me i would take the safer route and pay the extra fees rather than risking 1500 bucks...

miller821
05-31-2009, 12:16 AM
$1500 is a lot of money... Questions to ask are:

1) Do you know who your buying from personally? If not, do you know for sure they are legit?

2) Is the 3% paypal fee that big of a deal? If so, will the seller opt to pay half of the fee?

3) Paypal may be able to help me recover some/all of my money should I be scammed. Is that worth the fee in itself?

I'd consider the options.

Kickstarts-suck
05-31-2009, 12:49 AM
Who would it charge the fees to? He wants $1500. Would it charge me the fees or him?

I do not know the guy personally but I have talked to him on the phone. I have all his info and hes known on the website.

I was thinking since I already got the M.O.s that I could put them in a big padded envelope and ship them USPS with $1600 insurance?

If not how do I get the cash back from the Money Orders? I got them at Walmart.

fasterblaster09
05-31-2009, 07:10 AM
You can get a refund as long as you have the receipt. I've had a couple money orders "lost" through the mail so no way I'd take a chance with that much

kawabunga
05-31-2009, 07:24 AM
The biggest money order I've sent through the mail was less than $200 and I wouldn't be comfortable going any higher. That's me though.
If you do send it, put insurance on it and have delivery confirmation as well, that way you know when it gets to the person.

Giz400ex
05-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Your better off going to your bank and getting a bank check. Depending on your bank, you might charge a fee for that bank check but every place is different.

deathman53
05-31-2009, 09:11 AM
I would say a personal check or tellers check. The downside, it would be some days for the check to clear. A good seller will understand this.

Kickstarts-suck
05-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Ok got them cashed back out and going to use paypal. Should I pay with a credit card through paypal to be even more safe?

People at Walmart were saying I was crazy for thinking about sending that much through the mail :p

JR3
05-31-2009, 12:27 PM
ive sent 1500 before it was 2 money orders thru the mail to a memeber on this site everything worked out fine.

Rastus
05-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Are you talking a regular money order, or a USPS M.O. ?

miller821
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Who would it charge the fees to? He wants $1500. Would it charge me the fees or him?

I do not know the guy personally but I have talked to him on the phone. I have all his info and hes known on the website.

I was thinking since I already got the M.O.s that I could put them in a big padded envelope and ship them USPS with $1600 insurance?

If not how do I get the cash back from the Money Orders? I got them at Walmart.

The fees are charged to the one who accepts the money, so no fees for you.

born2ride14
05-31-2009, 04:51 PM
hey kickstart, this is not relevant but do you ever make your way to jacksonville? Mandarin Area? I saw a Red ford lighnting maybe two weeks ago just like the one you have. Was just wondering if it was you. I dont care whos it was, that thing was a screamer!

Kickstarts-suck
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 300maniac
hey kickstart, this is not relevant but do you ever make your way to jacksonville? Mandarin Area? I saw a Red ford lighnting maybe two weeks ago just like the one you have. Was just wondering if it was you. I dont care whos it was, that thing was a screamer!

Nope wasn't mine. Ive been looking for more Gen 1 Lightning owners to have a little meet sometime.

I saw another red one when I was heading to the beach. Had a tauno cover and a black dude driving.

I love seeing other gen 1 Lightnings.