PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Predator 90 issue

Tim King
05-30-2009, 09:56 PM
It ran fine and then sat for a year and then it wouldn't start. I ordered a cdi and stator for it and installed the cdi and it starts right up now. It idles great but more than a little throttle and it misses like a bad plug or something, like it doesn't want to go over a certain rpm. Changed the plug and same thing, any ideas? It also developed a battery issues after a couple of starts, the relay under the seat clicks when you try to start it but won't turn the motor over. Kisk starts fine though.

05-30-2009, 10:39 PM
clean the carb then it should be fine IMO.

michealwall
05-31-2009, 04:55 AM
I had the same problem with my 90. It would not rev, cleaned carb and it was good to go

Tim King
06-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I removed and cleaned the carb today. Nothing changed, anymore ideas?

06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Well did you take out your main and pilot jets make sure they were cleaned out?? Its your carbs dirty, Good luck!

Tim King
06-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Yes, I even blew through everything with the air hose. The only parts I saw that came apart was the bowl and the jet inside there.

06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
its your carb get a can of carb cleaner and spray with the straw in evey hole in your carb take every jet and set screw out. take it all apart and boil it if you want it just needs cleaned better IMO!

BradLoomis
06-07-2009, 10:55 PM
If you still have the stock thumb throttle and cdi, there are two wires coming out of the thumb throttle and go to the cdi. These wires are designed to limit the rpms to just a little over idle rpm, incase the throttles sticks open. You should be able to disconnect them. I can't remember if the circut is normally open or closed though. Try the quad with them unhooked, if no difference, wire the cdi side together and test again.

Tim King
06-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by BradLoomis
If you still have the stock thumb throttle and cdi, there are two wires coming out of the thumb throttle and go to the cdi. These wires are designed to limit the rpms to just a little over idle rpm, incase the throttles sticks open. You should be able to disconnect them. I can't remember if the circut is normally open or closed though. Try the quad with them unhooked, if no difference, wire the cdi side together and test again.

Everything is stock, I just replaced the cdi because it wouldn't start. The new cdi looked identical to the old one except it has a blue wire coming out of the body that the old one didn't. I just left it disconnected and it started but it's had the running issue ever since. It is a limiter of some sort though, you can just tell. Any idea where I could find some wiring diagrams for it?

BradLoomis
06-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Partsland (http://www.partsland.com/index.cgi?N=1244495054-6248&P=ATV-2003-PREDATOR-90)

This is a component manual, and I think I gave away my schematic manual with my last 90 that I sold. I will look though and let you know.

Tim King
06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks allot guys. I found the problem. The new cdi had a limiter. There are 2 screws that hold a spaded piece of metal that connects together. If you take out the piece of metal it gets rid of the limiter.

06-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Glad to see you got r fixed now time tp play

Tim King
06-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Well, we took it out today and it ran great for 4 hours. My son shut it off and when we went to start it back up it won't start. It doesn't have any spark again?? Think the cdi took a crap again? Is there anyway to test the cdi?

hotrodhonda400
07-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Tim King
Well, we took it out today and it ran great for 4 hours. My son shut it off and when we went to start it back up it won't start. It doesn't have any spark again?? Think the cdi took a crap again? Is there anyway to test the cdi?

may sound crazy but try unplugging the brake/ tail light , i have an 03 predator for my son and it will stall of be nearly impossible to start when the brake is activated... i noticed when we bought it(used) that everytime he would apply the brake and the light would come on the motor would stall and when we go to restart it would flood., i unplugged the light and we have ran many gallons of fuel with no problems what so ever. hope this helps.:D